Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 219 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm curious how this plays out -- not sure attendance would justify it. Anecdotally I've never gotten a sense 3-park APs were flying off the shelves. In fairness, water park option surprisingly rare around WDW APs as well.

On that subject, "Another Voice" --used to be THE expert on Disney back when the DisBoard was huge, still pops up on Twitter -- theorizes neither WDW water park re-opens this year, obstensibly for safety but in reality because to save costs. I don't know if VB and Aquatica follow that money-saving lead (latter is assuming SWO even opens again), or try to cash in on an untapped market.
My bet is VB opens. WDW waterparks are staffed mostly by CP kids in my experience (granted that was almost a decade* ago), and who knows if there's gonna be any more of them coming in this year. That could be a situation where the water parks are closed for a while.

*Oh my god I'm getting old

I think it will depend on if they have evidence the treatment and filtration systems they have are effective at killing the virus. I believe they would be, but who knows.

Being mostly out of doors, this might be the very first park to open in the months ahead...
My thought is
Hotels, Pools, CityWalk
then VB
then Parks

Maybe? Although people may percieve the water park as relatively unsanitary....even though VB is the most chlorinated park I've ever been to haha.

Reactions: Scott W.
My thought is
Hotels, Pools, CityWalk
then VB
then Parks

Maybe? Although people may percieve the water park as relatively unsanitary....even though VB is the most chlorinated park I've ever been to haha.
I'm thinking the parks, some of the hotels (pools stay closed), and dining/shopping opens first. Water parks and pools later.

I was looking at the MinnieVan concept and was thinking (I know, right? Probably a bad idea), but when everything reopens the restaurants will be running at reduced capacity because of continuing social distancing guidelines. So what if they started UOR-EATS. A resort wide room service option available to any room at the resort. Of course, not every restaurant at the resort would be an option, but at least the major ones. I mean, I would like a Finnegan's Potato and Onion Web, a Scotch Egg, and some of that Soda Bread/Apple Butter delivered to my room. That way they can encourage social distancing and make money doing it.

Last edited:
If this breaks free dead of summer, an open water park would be a big draw. People are going to be looking for anything to do. Water parks could handle maintaining social distance standards easier than regular parks as most everything is set up for single rider or groups of people who were already together. It would be easy to avoid grouping people. Beach chairs could be staggered. Lines could be set up for distancing. Not saying they would open it without the regular parks, but it's not a terrible idea.

I'm curious how this plays out -- not sure attendance would justify it. Anecdotally I've never gotten a sense 3-park APs were flying off the shelves. In fairness, water park option surprisingly rare around WDW APs as well.

On that subject, "Another Voice" --used to be THE expert on Disney back when the DisBoard was huge, still pops up on Twitter -- theorizes neither WDW water park re-opens this year, obstensibly for safety but in reality because to save costs. I don't know if VB and Aquatica follow that money-saving lead (latter is assuming SWO even opens again), or try to cash in on an untapped market.
If that happens, then I want my money back from my WDW water park annual pass.

(Maybe I’ll just have to go back to the 3 park pass at Universal then!)

Reactions: SeventyOne
If that happens, then I want my money back from my WDW water park annual pass.

(Maybe I’ll just have to go back to the 3 park pass at Universal then!)

I imagine they will be ready to handle that, just like they were with AP flex pay. Again, APs are going to be solid gold for the next couple years, you treat them right.

I think the virtual line system we see at this park could very well be park wide for the initial opening with limited capacity. It makes the most sense, and it seems for the most part it works here. If they reduce capacity and basically control when people are riding then id feel like they're doing everything they can until things become "Normal" again, whatever that may be.

I think the virtual line system we see at this park could very well be park wide for the initial opening with limited capacity. It makes the most sense, and it seems for the most part it works here. If they reduce capacity and basically control when people are riding then id feel like they're doing everything they can until things become "Normal" again, whatever that may be.
I expect the virtual line will be as we see at Fallon. It's a holding area that should be filled with stuff to do but also with people to keep the ride going. Managing people in an open area is much tougher that a line where you at least can tape stops on the floor to keep distance.

It's a solid plan. Held back only by the fatal design flaw of making everyone ride a bus to get to and from the park. If you have to do that, what's it matter how the queues look?

It's a solid plan. Held back only by the fatal design flaw of making everyone ride a bus to get to and from the park. If you have to do that, what's it matter how the queues look?
I think at this point until there’s a vaccine doing anything like going to a theme park is an inherent risk. Either limit the bus capacity as well or just run the risk, there’s only so much they’re going to be able to do to prevent anything from spreading, especially at a water park of all places.

Reactions: Andysol
They might do like they do with the shuttle buses that Alene takes from hospital parking (a couple of miles) to the hospital since the distancing guidelines came out , namely seat people with two empty rows separating them....essentially one third capacity....But then again, the government might withdraw the distancing guidelines by the time the parks reopen.

The problem with pools and water parks isn't the water itself. In a properly maintained pool there is enough chlorine in the water to kill the virus. The problem is when people dunk their heads or get an aqua jet up the nose on the end run of the drop slides. The first thing they do is wipe their face with their hand and then use those hands on railings and what not.

The problem with pools and water parks isn't the water itself. In a properly maintained pool there is enough chlorine in the water to kill the virus. The problem is when people dunk their heads or get an aqua jet up the nose on the end run of the drop slides. The first thing they do is wipe their face with their hand and then use those hands on railings and what not.
I'm snot planning on a waterpark anytime soon....

I’m having problems articulating why, but I can’t see myself going to a water park anytime soon. I can see myself going to a movie theater or a theme park. But, not a water park.

I think a lot of people are going to think similarly. Water parks just feel less hygienic than most other venues.

Reactions: Disneyhead