Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 134 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Universal lost their team member overflow parking lot when the Landmark apartments were built behind MIB. Ever since then, parking has been a nightmare during the busy seasons when the entire team member lot gets filled up.

This new project aims to correct that by removing the large trailer that occupys a portion of the existing team member lot and replacing it with a new executive lot, allowing them to open up the current executive lot and reconfigure the area to accommodate additional parking for team members.

The area down the street, where the "8ft security fence" is being built, is where all the people who work in that trailer are being moved. They're simply closing in the parking lot there to make it Universal employee exclusive.

I would post aerial photo comparisons to the plans, but it's just boring parking stuff, and not worth the time. If the twitter user who had initially posted about the project had just taken some time to try and understand the plans, or better, had read the permit application instead of creating nonsensical Potter speculation, this could have been avoided, haha.

EDIT: correct, Teebin. That building behind the retail space is where people from the trailer are being moved to, and the fence is being built around that parking lot... basically straight down the far right edge of your red box, thus closing in the lot.

Last edited:
If the twitter user who had initially posted about the project had just taken some time to try and understand the plans, or better, had read the permit application instead of creating nonsensical Potter speculation, this could have been avoided, haha.

Well, I take it that any construction at Universal is related to Potter now, in one way or the other. If there was no potter, then they would not have run out of parking places even in peak. If there is more potter coming esp. to US, then this solution is a bandaid as both parks will be more mega staffed than ever before.

Well to be honest the expansion of the parking lot may have to do with Potter Phase 2 in that a new parking lot could be needed because the old one might be used for the expansion or for a Hogwarts Express attraction.

The expansion of parking does not translate into Potter Phase 2 construction starting soon. The parking was getting expanded with or without Potter 2. Now could the design/layout of the new expansion be designed to allow Potter 2? Possibly. But let's not get antsy and use this as evidence that it's a lock.

The "Project 37" documents @epcyclopedia is referring to have nothing to do with the Jaws replacement/Potter phase II. They're for the expansion of the employee parking lot, nothing more.

Oh my gosh, you guys, I am SO excited for that employee parking lot expansion. It's gonna be GREAT.

Way more exciting than an HP expansion, imo. :rofl:

While I would love to see a parking garage built, I am not sure that it will happen as it is VERY expensive. More likely that they would opt for parking south on the bare ground of the Turkey Lk staging area, then shuttling people up from there.

Any chance of a garage to maximize space?
As I have said before, I think they should start stacking. A parking garage with office, production, service space underneath, it would be expensive but now, with the building industry hurting, is the time. The lack of land at USO is big a issue so it is time they start making good use of what little they have, JMO's.

As I have said before, I think they should start stacking. A parking garage with office, production, service space underneath, it would be expensive but now, with the building industry hurting, is the time. The lack of land at USO is big a issue so it is time they start making good use of what little they have, JMO's.

I think they'd rather inconvience employees with shuttling than build an expensive parking garage. And if they did build one, I think they'd go for the most capacity possible. You could always pull in trailers for office or production space.

I agree. And whatever money they would spend on something like this, it'd be worth it because they'd have new land to expand in!

Ideally yes, a dual purpose building would be the smartest, but again you have to remember on how tall of a building could they really build? If they do lets say 3 floors of building, they could only really only do another 3 floors of parking. Then at that point its a matter of how big of a building do they make and what would consolidated into the building.

Might be too much of a headache logistically and they will probably go for the easiest solution.

Again the other thing they could possibly do is expand the front of the park garages to include employee parking as well and that would leave the whole backstage area even MORE open.

Ideally yes, a dual purpose building would be the smartest, but again you have to remember on how tall of a building could they really build? If they do lets say 3 floors of building, they could only really only do another 3 floors of parking.

I pretty much agree, they cannot go up much higher than 3 without disturbing the park views. On the other hand, there are a TON of large footprint one story buildings backstage. Human Resources is one of them. They need a few 3 story buildings to make up for the wasted land back there.

TM parking is a big issue, yes, but I agree with UNIrd that this discussion has ate up 2 pages of the Potter thread. :lol:

Just to chime in about the awful parking conditions, in case anyone missed it, the Year in Review edition of the Team Member newsletter included the following bit:
WILLIAM A. DAVIS​
PRESIDENT & CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT​

Dear Fellow Team Members,

Through our TSAT Survey, we have heard loud and clear that Team Member parking is an issue for many of our Team Members.
.....We took some steps to ease the pain, such as moving select teams to the North Parking Structure – but we realize that, especially in light of our increased business, it wasn’t enough.
.....I’m excited to tell you that today that we have a plan to fix it. Over the next few months, we will be moving the Entertainment team from T-65 to B-32 (the Vendor building) to create more room for parking. You will soon be seeing work in the main Team Member parking lot, as well as the lot in front of B-110, as we redesign the lots to create the needed spaces.
.....Our goal is to have the new parking lot ready by Spring Break.
.....Of course, during the holidays, we will have more Team Members on property than usual, so once again, Dr. Phillips High School is allowing us to park in their lot during the holiday from Sunday, December 18 through Sunday, January 1 for overflow parking when our main Team Member parking lot is full. Parking & Transportation will also provide shuttle service between the Dr. Phillips High School lot and Gate 2 during the lot’s availability.
.....Thank you for your patience as we worked to provide a permanent solution to the Team Member parking issue.​

I pretty much agree, they cannot go up much higher than 3 without disturbing the park views. On the other hand, there are a TON of large footprint one story buildings backstage. Human Resources is one of them. They need a few 3 story buildings to make up for the wasted land back there.

Honestly, the main buildings backstage yore referring to are the wardrobe building, production kitchen, bakery and warehouse; all of which are not wasted space, I can assure you.

To change the subject back to HP expansion.I was read elsewhere that they maybe gonna run The Hogwarts express from Sinbad to Amity.
wouldn't the Knight bus be a better ride . Like Jaws with a greeter (with a wand)up front.If windows are flat screens with fake outside projected on then wouldn't Knight Bus be better (jumps from place to place)It makes sense too that they put time window machines outside Sinbad .(Train ticket dispensers)

To change the subject back to HP expansion.I was read elsewhere that they maybe gonna run The Hogwarts express from Sinbad to Amity.
wouldn't the Knight bus be a better ride . Like Jaws with a greeter (with a wand)up front.If windows are flat screens with fake outside projected on then wouldn't Knight Bus be better (jumps from place to place)It makes sense too that they put time window machines outside Sinbad .(Train ticket dispensers)

May be a fun little attraction, but the students do not take the Knight bus to Hogwarts from Diagon Alley. By making the transportation vehicle the Hogwart's Express, you stay within the story and the world of Harry Potter.

Those buses are too large and difficult to maneuver, not to mention the logistics and headaches it could create and the chances of accidents when humans are driving.

I meant bus on a track (jaws without water) The bus does run from hogsmead to diagon alley(it is magic remember)
just thinking that the trip thru scottish countryside is not that exciting.Bus magically jumping from place to place (grimald place,burrow,main entrance to magic government building)

Status
Not open for further replies.