Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 165 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like you may be getting your "freezing" effect, Teebin:

Screamscape is pretty close although the projection/media system will be far more advanced than the example Lance gives. During tests people have been getting a bit sick due to the ultra-realism and depth perception. The media actually needs to be created in layers with varying speeds represented based on the speed of the train and sequence. As far as in cabin effects, let's just say that the cabins could get a bit chilly at times for one example.

This makes me so happy. My mother's absolute favorite aspect of the series was the Express. She said it was kind of like the journey that Harry never truly gave thought to that was always a constant throughout until the end, like the carriages. I'm aiming to take her on the first days of softs. :)

From today,

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1198.jpg

IMG_1200.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1181.jpg

^Thanks HatetoFly!

Those white pipes with tubes are water extraction devices. I have only seen them used here in the wet south for extracting every bit of moisture from wet soil before laying limerock on road bases. They can be in place for WEEKS before the water peters out and construction resumes.

Finally a bird house for the cranes to live in. That is very nice of Universal to put that out in the lagoon for them. I have wondered why they hadn't been on my lawn lately. It appears they are keeping their feathers close to the UC rookery.

Last edited:
More whylightbulb on Hogwarts Express:

Exactly. We tried single layer video and it caused motion sickness. It was determined that synch. between motion and video was not the cause in this case. What we are working on now is extremely labor intensive and technically complex and will make for a very realistic experience. The results based on early tests are stunning. let's hope the support, financially and otherwise, continues as it has so far.

Ok, Uni legal asks the SFWMD to cease posting docs online; things like north station and south station have been removed from the text. Now we have someone talking in the (supposed) first person about ride details and complexity, single layer video and 'tests being stunning'? Who is this whylightbulb, who does he/she work for, and if what they say is true, why isn't Universal legal shutting them up? Anyone wanna take a crack at explaining this dichotomy?

Ok, Uni legal asks the SFWMD to cease posting docs online; things like north station and south station have been removed from the text. Now we have someone talking in the (supposed) first person about ride details and complexity, single layer video and 'tests being stunning'? Who is this whylightbulb, who does he/she work for, and if what they say is true, why isn't Universal legal shutting them up? Anyone wanna take a crack at explaining this dichotomy?

Contractor who worked on phase 1 and now, seemingly, phase 2. Your guess is as good as mine, but he posts on a heavily Disney-biased site, so maybe there is a strategy there on Uni's part.

Btw, I have no reason to doubt him. He has always been on the money.

Contractor who worked on phase 1 and now, seemingly, phase 2. Your guess is as good as mine, but he posts on a heavily Disney-biased site, so maybe there is a strategy there on Uni's part.

I've been avidly reading his posts as well. And I'm glad to hear ReelJustice say that he is a trustworthy source, because his little tidbits are sure getting me excited. So far, he has implied that the train will feature in-cabin effects to simulate the freezing that comes with a dementor attack; that the technology for this train is all very cutting edge; that the ride itself is turning out to be more of an E-ticket (or at least, much more complex and exciting than a simple look-at-the-pretty-scenery transportation ride.)

I'm extremely intrigued and confused by his descriptions of how the view outside the windows are going to be achieved. He is mentioning layers of video and how they are perfecting it to seem stunningly realistic. Is he referring to a 3D film? A new type of 3D tech? Glasses-free?

Last edited:

Thanks for understanding my quandary. I have been aware of the username on the other site for years. What Uni legal screams about is so inconsistent. If anyone knows or think they know who this person works for, feel free to pm me.

Dang I don't see why they are hiding things..I know they are monitoring online forums an can tell we already know it's going to be HP.
:censored: confirm it already...hahaha

They want to keep us guessing until there's a little bit of time left before vertical construction overwhelms the internet again. While they don't 'prefer' the digging and snooping and furtiveness we do, they thrive from its given importance, and everyone ends up winning. Given the way that construction is going, I'd expect a small announcement towards the end of the fourth fiscal quarter (this is basically what we're doing with three pieces of art!), and a full-blown announcement towards the end of the first fiscal quarter, or end of 2012 (this is ALL we're doing with MORE art!). They probably want to get through this "Year To Be Here" promotion to maximize 2012 sales.

Universal is keeping mum so those 2012-2014 visits sans New Potter will continue as planned.

More whylightbulb

Not exactly. There will be a dimensionality to it but I wouldn't call it full-fledged 3D. The realism of the imagery will make it appear as though you are looking through a window as opposed to a video. We will achieve this both by the hardware and software.

I cannot imagine that they would use some kind of transparent OLED technology. It is so new and expensive not to mention has a smokey color in the transparency.

They could however do a Nemo style peppers ghost I suppose. Hmmmm....

Last edited:
I'm really impressed. When I first heard of their plans for the Hogwarts Express ride, I assumed they would use Kong 360 tech and call it a day (and I still would have been impressed by the ride). But it sounds like they are really pushing the creative and technological envelope to give us something completely different. And it sounds like we are going to be getting 'dimensionality' without having to wear glasses. I think that is a big plus, and will make this train journey even more believable.

Status
Not open for further replies.