Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 512 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Teebin harp #24D: The flat screens on the train cabins... is their anything special about them, or does a certain person on here not yet know?

This is Teebin code, " I need to know and i will try to call that person out in order to get that info." :lol:

I was down London for a few days and grabs these shots from the embankment, not the best shots but you get the idea. Thought of Teebin when I saw them LOL.

Embankment_zps5257c658.jpg

Embankment-3_zpsb3f4b312.jpg

Embankment-2_zps85b1fa16.jpg

I was down London for a few days and grabs these shots from the embankment, not the best shots but you get the idea. Thought of Teebin when I saw them LOL.

I am so jealous that you get to hop down to London town and snap a picture of this. Such a wonderful example of industrial age wealth and status in GB. I am not sure it is a tourist destination, but it should be.

So, we have basically been hinted to that Hogwarts Express will create a 3D effect without glasses, and none of you have a thought about this? This entire site is acting like, "oh, ok, whatever..." when such tech has never ever ever been done before! Did I log into dufus central by accident?

So, we have basically been hinted to that Hogwarts Express will create a 3D effect without glasses, and none of you have a thought about this? This entire site is acting like, "oh, ok, whatever..." when such tech has never ever ever been done before! Did I log into dufus central by accident?

Maybe something like this . . .

[video=youtube;-KkeawTdMiw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KkeawTdMiw[/video]

Hey Teebs, right back at you :lol:

I'm playing a device that uses glasses free 3D right now.

So with this technology, knowing exactly where people are seated and I'm sure amazing 3D sound, people watching the same screen could potentially have two different experiences?
Perhaps a character could lean in and whisper something to the people in the rear-facing seats while the people in the front facing seats are watching scenery go by?
Yeah, after thinking about this I realized that's not how it works.
Never Mind!:bonk:

Last edited:

I thought it would be less 3D with the screens and more 3D with the projections done on the other side. I believe the HE will break some tech barriers and be amazing, just don't think I have any input since I don't know much about this type of technology. I program HR and help Desk systems, not build high tech gadgets :)

220px-Parallax_barrier_vs_lenticular_screen.svg.png

The second image represents the tech being used (obviously not to scale, the lenses are the size of a pixel or whatever)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenticular_lens

This was the 3DS tech that was brought up when we were discussing Gringotts' own 3D effects, guess I predicted correctly that it would be applicable to the Hogwarts Express! Yeah, unlike the glasses, this works sans-polarized-lenses by sending an image to each eye individually through refracting them at a different angle.

If you have a copy of Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 the "holographic" cover uses the same 3D tech.

Manx27, you CAN have two different images coming from such a screen, like those movie posters you see in theatre that change visually depending on the viewing angle, but I believe that reduces the 3D effect. And--based on the picture--might use a larger angle of refraction.

On the Train: For the windows, will they be using actual footage of the Scottish highlands, or will it be computer generated, or a combination?

Last edited:
The problem with only using lenticular 3D is that it doesn't account for shifting perspectives. When you look outside of a window, your view changes as you move your head back and forth. With Lenticular 3D, this does not happen.

I think they might use different 'layers' of screens to create an effect similar to a multiplane camera used in 2D animation (This lines up with Whylightbulb's reference to 'layers' when talking about the windows of the Hogwarts express on the WdwMagic forum a while back).
Here is a very lo-fi version of that effect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuEiFb7P6Fg

I think that they will be using layers of transparent OLED screens on which varying distances of scenery will be displayed (mountains, trees, buildings, foreground elements, etc). Here is a demonstration of just how magical clear OLED screens are. Note, that the window in the video is clear glass, and the buildings beyond it are simply a painted background beyond the glass. All of the 'vine' effects that appear spontaneously on the screen are completely opaque.

[video=youtube;4lRlp61jMpY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lRlp61jMpY[/video]

Last edited:
The problem with only using lenticular 3D is that it doesn't account for shifting perspectives.

I think that they will be using layers of transparent OLED screens on which varying distances of scenery will be displayed (mountains, trees, buildings, foreground elements, etc). Here is a demonstration of just how magical clear OLED screens are. Note, that the window in the video is clear glass, and the buildings beyond it are simply a painted background beyond the glass. All of the 'vine' effects that appear spontaneously on the screen are completely opaque.

I think this is highly unlikely. For one, The train is being constructed to actual scale with an interior and an exterior. There is simply no place for multiply layers of screen. Secondly, Although it creates a sense of depth, this is entirely dependant on the distance between each layer, therefore the effect would only work if each layer was mountains apart. In the end, with distant scenery there is very little perspective change beyond the "window", so as long as the eye tracking is used (in theory) and the screen's visual's have a constant forward motion, coupled with people buckled in their seats, restrained, there will be no need to ajust for the angle of vision.

Don't worry, I thought of that too back when it was rumered a screen tunnel would be used, and it's the technique used in old films and animation, in matte painting, to create depth. Unfortunately, it's disfunction off the silver screen is born very reason you think it will work, the 3rd dimension.

OLED is cool, but we don't want the exterior of UO showing! Unless of course, it could be used to make the windows look normal when the ride begins. On the other hand, This could be the way which we will see the "Dementor" attack behind the glass cabin doors in the train car, in addition to the frosting effect on it's glass seen in their presence. Though the OLED seems to work best with the color black.

PS: The OLED video adds proof to my point about perspective being unnecessary for the lenticular windows. If you watch the real city behind the OLED, despite the camera panning and dollying, the perspective does not seem to vary in an obvious way. This is a principle that will benifit the ride. In addition, the train's movie will be faster than the viewers head motion, therefore the lacking perspective will become indiscernible anyway and the illusionary depth perception will take priority.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.