Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014) | Page 602 | Inside Universal Forums

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion (Opens 2014)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Poll Closed

• Yes

Votes: 154 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 21 12.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
most likely to avoid ruining the illusion if you can see any of the diagon alley rooftops outside of the glass.

I would say this, as well as other advantages such as keeping a clean or ideal look that they want to put in place in terms of both clean since it is a lot easier to let the roof of a show building like structure get a bit dirty and no one know or see versus marks and spots/grime on glass. This also goes into play with lighting. They likely want the atmosphere to be consistent with the paint and various things they went with. That alone makes sense to me. Also, the likelihood is that it was much cheaper to go with this method instead of the expensive route of glass installation.

^ troll IN THE DUNGEON!!!

Fixed it for ya :p

A few years back when Deathly Hallows Part 2 was about to come out, I hadn't read any of the books, only seen the movies. I had 9 days until it came out, an iPad loaded with all 7 books and vacation planned with nothing specific planned to do in it. Managed to read all 7 books prior to seeing Deathly Hallows Part 2, although my wife wasn't happy with me for completely zoning out to the outside world from 6 in the morning until around 8 at night each day. LOL Unlike most movies, they didn't change a ton from the books, although they did leave out a good bit of stuff that would have really added to the depth of the movies. But then each movie would have been around 3 hours long. Although I greatly prefer the book's ending to Deathly Hallows to that of the movie.

The Harry Potter books will do that to you! :lol: They're totally awesome and incredibly addictive!

@OrlandoInformer got some pics of London this morning. You can see several yellow shirts/vests behind the gray. Construction going steady!

BLhIFV3CQAAgF7x.jpg:large

Can't forget about #HarryPotter - does the new scaffolding mean the facade exteriors are going up soon? @UniversalORL pic.twitter.com/p95j1fJWzO

BLhOAJDCAAImXxQ.jpg:large

Lotsa gray in #DiagonAlley @UniversalORL pic.twitter.com/gH2ACo7Sih

I would say this, as well as other advantages such as keeping a clean or ideal look that they want to put in place in terms of both clean since it is a lot easier to let the roof of a show building like structure get a bit dirty and no one know or see versus marks and spots/grime on glass. This also goes into play with lighting. They likely want the atmosphere to be consistent with the paint and various things they went with. That alone makes sense to me. Also, the likelihood is that it was much cheaper to go with this method instead of the expensive route of glass installation.

Yeah keeping the glass clean with all the rain we get here in Florida would be a disaster. Plus they have to make anything Hurricane proof and it might have been harder to do that with a dome glass ceiling. There are many reasons to do a "fake" outside than to use the real outside. Especially on a ride like this where people will be seeing it every day and maintenance can only be done at night when it is dark outside. It might be costing them more to do this at the beginning, but I bet it saves them money in the long run.

I don't actually think they will use the sotryline of us being disguised as Harry Potters. Why? Because then the ride would imply that we are in book 7 (199-1998) , and they are trying to make it a general land without specifical time. If they used that, Diagon Alley would of been almost empty and gray, since most shops closed at that time because of the Death Eaters. Also, the park is advertised as if the Wizarding World opened for the first time ever to Muggles... Us being muggles wouldn't be logical if we were assigned to retrieve the Gryffindor sword nor fight Voldemort... Just saying..

Yeah keeping the glass clean with all the rain we get here in Florida would be a disaster. Plus they have to make anything Hurricane proof and it might have been harder to do that with a dome glass ceiling. There are many reasons to do a "fake" outside than to use the real outside. Especially on a ride like this where people will be seeing it every day and maintenance can only be done at night when it is dark outside. It might be costing them more to do this at the beginning, but I bet it saves them money in the long run.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the clarification. This makes sense. I hope they do something interesting with it so it looks authentic or maybe they'll do something that looks magical and changes with the weather or setting. Much like the great hall! :)

I don't actually think they will use the sotryline of us being disguised as Harry Potters. Why? Because then the ride would imply that we are in book 7 (199-1998) , and they are trying to make it a general land without specifical time. If they used that, Diagon Alley would of been almost empty and gray, since most shops closed at that time because of the Death Eaters. Also, the park is advertised as if the Wizarding World opened for the first time ever to Muggles... Us being muggles wouldn't be logical if we were assigned to retrieve the Gryffindor sword nor fight Voldemort... Just saying..
Us being the Potter decoys doesn't mean this takes place in 97-98. We don't know the story of the ride yet. The Potter decoys is the only idea that really makes sense at this point. In FJ we were allowed in to see a quidditch match. This would give us muggles a purpose to enter the cave area of gringotts while the main characters do whatever. Of course, we get found out and everything goes wrong. All speculation...

I don't think the only thing that makes sense is us disguised as Potter. In fact that doesn't make very much sense at all, 24 people all disguised as the same person? It would make sense if they said the glasses disguised that we aren't magical so the Goblins don't get cranky, or I think it's likely we'll be guests much like we were upon entering Hogwarts..Dumbledore has a lot of pull.

Where did this conversation about lighting the skylights artificially come from? Have they begun building a secondary roof on the inside or outside of the arches?

I'm not really sure...

Yeah, that is odd... the entrance might be partially false due to the rectangular architecture to the left, but I cannot imagine the actual boarding station being that way.

If they do have false lighting over that portion of the "muggle" platform, I could see an occasional shadow effect. Perhaps in the shape of a flying Ford Anglia? Or a dragon? :look:

Some of you guys are looking way too much into the time setting of the parks. The only thing that's obvious would be that Phase 1 is based more on the first 4 books, that's it. I think we need to forget about some of the stuff that happened in the movies or books and live in THIS Harry Potter world.

Status
Not open for further replies.