Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Blue Man Group Replacement Rumors

People are acting like this building wasn’t a major attraction in the heyday of USF. IF a new show goes in you’d think they’d use the same setup that they had before, a themed (signs etc) entrance on the road between studio store and minions, show entrance and queue under the awning and in the theater lobby.

Does anyone know if this has ever been owned by the parks? Or was it always USFPG running it during the studio tour days?

It’ll most likely just return to being an empty sound stage

People are acting like this building wasn’t a major attraction in the heyday of USF. IF a new show goes in you’d think they’d use the same setup that they had before, a themed (signs etc) entrance on the road between studio store and minions, show entrance and queue under the awning and in the theater lobby.

Does anyone know if this has ever been owned by the parks? Or was it always USFPG running it during the studio tour days?

It’ll most likely just return to being an empty sound stage
It wasn't a major attraction, it was a walking tour (that was very popular) of a working Nickelodeon Studios. You could be an audience member for some of their game shows, maybe. But all of that died when the Nickelodeon Studios left as the only reason it was a popular "attraction" was because you could see the studios and sometime see live filming going on through a window along the tour.

Sure, Universal could make it part of the park and put a show in here, but then they are losing out on potential Production rentals, which, even when the Nick Studios tour was going on, they were getting. SS18 has consistently been rented out by a third party for roughly 30 years (with a short break between Nick leaving and BMG coming in). They lose out on that type of consistent money flow by simply turning it into park space. Plus, i'm sure they want to have a show there that they can advertise to guests as an "add-on" to their trip like BMG was.

Wicked. Wicked? Wicked.
Look at the video Joe posted. There's next to no backstage space to store any set pieces, props, etc. Of course, I guess it's possible they could drop an extra storage pod behind the Soundstage and next to the elephant door, but then an issue is that the door would need to be open during shows, which just can't happen due to HRRR/light leakage. If they really want it to happen though, I suppose they could just add on to the soundstage a bit in the back.

Literally no space.

anyway, I bet it’s more likely ANOTHER soundstage becomes park property and this one is added back to the rotation than this is given over to the park.
I'd agree on that. This soundstage is way too valuable imo. Although I don't think any Soundstage is going back to the park as much as people love to wish it happens. At least not anytime soon.

Look at the video Joe posted. There's next to no backstage space to store any set pieces, props, etc. Of course, I guess it's possible they could drop an extra storage pod behind the Soundstage and next to the elephant door, but then an issue is that the door would need to be open during shows, which just can't happen do to HRRR. If they really want it to happen though, I suppose they could just add on to the soundstage a bit in the back.
Literally no space.

anyway, I bet it’s more likely ANOTHER soundstage becomes park property and this one is added back to the rotation than this is given over to the park.
Ahhhhh yes I see, doesn’t help Wicked is one of the most complex shows either so yeah, I’ll let this one go lol. The yellow brick road being there instead of the current path to BMG is almost too good to ask for.

I know it's very unlikely, but a production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child could do very well and would make thematic sense for Universal. Given that it's a two part play, it could even increase the number of nights people stay on property and also increase spend in CityWalk.

I know it's very unlikely, but a production of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child could do very well and would make thematic sense for Universal. Given that it's a two part play, it could even increase the number of nights people stay on property and also increase spend in CityWalk.
Couldn’t agree more, but it’s so unlikely I’d imagine. But again, couldn’t agree more.

I think people are really underestimating how much backstage room you need to put on a production on the scale of Wicked or any of the other Broadway shows. Skimming through this will give you a little bit of an idea, but still undersells how much room you need in the wings for props, actors, costumes/changing screens, etc

If this was 1990 I think something like Stomp might be able to fit in here, but I think that's about it as far as productions go.

This would be better suited for a corporate events space, imo, especially as they build EU and get more daily capacity for park buyouts.

When I say Wicked I mean a scaled down production, like they do for the Broadway shows on cruise ships and in Vegas. A "best of" show with simpler sets and limited scope production. I can't see them doing a full Broadway production (that would cut into the tour's money), but something like that to promote the upcoming movie and make money.

The contents.
This is actually a good thought. It could become an events space that is rented out often, which would allow them to demolish SS33 for park use. There's a lot of potential back with the land and the land directly behind the NYC facade.

With BMG having a connection straight to the theater and a path to the park, it'd be greatly suited for that purpose if not for production.

I don't know that they'd pivot to develop an indoor show when they're not even sure if they'll do plexiglass/masks yet.

Ignoring who actually owns the space/connections to the park I'd prefer they move the horror make-up show here and rework it to be much more relevant (maybe including an expanded walkthrough HHN/Universal horror museum), then use the other spot for a different show.
My proposal for what to do with the space.