Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser

It will be interesting to see how it does in Year 2. I have a feeling the newness will wear off quickly and then we will see how it does. It's only saving grace is that it doesn't have a large number of "cabins" which means that it is easier to reach capacity. Still, I just don't understand the allure of paying the amount to stay here.

While I think the promo video was cringe-inducing, and also a bit hollow, I don't think his ideas about Jedi/Sith Temples is very practical, nor realistic with the size and scope of this hotel. I do agree that this video feels like a "3rd party version" of Star Wars.

As I mentioned earlier, the biggest issue here will be lack of luxury accommodations for a luxury price. I'm also curious just how entertaining any of this will be in real practice. I think back to the NBA experience, and all those "things to do", that just weren't that "fun to do".

I think the "wow" factor could waiver fairly quickly.

This whole thing reeks of the a project where the executives are so sold on the concept they can’t see what’s actually getting executed. A Star Wars cruise, on paper, can’t miss. More than that, it’s a gold mine. I think no one with the proper leverage/influence was able to effectively break the dollar-colored glasses to explain how badly they’re messing this up.

This is insane.
Bingo. The line in the program says “dinner show” but there’s a world of difference between a purple person singing songs with terrible lyrics and Galactic Hoop Dee Doo.

The development of rides and hotels are completely different beasts. This is the first rodeo with Entertainment for hotels and it’s obvious.

I think the "wow" factor could waiver fairly quickly.
I think it’s already wavering. The worst thing that could happen to this is for SW fanatics to think they’re not missing anything if they don’t do it. It’s like… what’s a better idea, staying here or just going to a SW convention and geeking out with other fans?

I wanna know whats the ratio of Equity actors to guests. Plus they recently announced the first CP kids crew for first voyages as if there was any doubt Disney was gonna staff their luxury experience with their favorite underpaid labor.

Edit: Disney World introduces new Star Wars character

Why are they all blue-faced??? What says star wars about this? I'm getting the corporate aliens from Alien Encounter preshow vibes from them more than star wars.
They can be dropped off for extra work at Pandora without paying for additional make up artist time. :eek:O:

I'm still holding out this thing won't bomb or there's a lot more cool stuff coming, it's never a smart idea to bet against Disney. I think the more reasonable push back should be that this won't light the world on fire, will go dark some days a month, and won't be cloned around the country despite what Chapek wants.

I'm still holding out this thing won't bomb or there's a lot more cool stuff coming, it's never a smart idea to bet against Disney. I think the more reasonable push back should be that this won't light the world on fire, will go dark some days a month, and won't be cloned around the country despite what Chapek wants.
I’m expecting that they have to go dark at least one day a week for the actors sake, much like Broadway.

I’m not sure how many equity they hired, but they aren’t cheap, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they want to keep it to only what’s needed (along with understudies or something along that line). Maybe two casts that switch off every cruise?

Hey outta here with your reasonable take!

Why is this not the dinner/lounge show, anyway?
cantina-band.jpg

Or this?
max-rebo-band_c071684c.jpeg

They're both established musical acts. No reason to believe they couldn't be on tour with the Starcruiser.

spent sometime yesterday reading fan reactions and watching take down videos. I think Disney may have a "problem" on its hands. Pulling the first major promo video is NOT a good look. One interesting thing I learned is the reservations could be made for 20% down, however the time for guests to pay the full 5-6k is upon us. with the first deadlines being Dec. 6th. This MAY be the reason Disney decided to pull these promo videos, as some people are having second thoughts. I think for their purposes, they may be better off keeping this more of a mystery, at least until the first reviews/bloggers come in. Disney bloggers tend to be either extremely positive or negative depending.

I think the best take I read on this, is that for this price Disney HAS to deliver. Its one thing to be disappointed with the Falcon ride, or even Galaxy Edge when you cost threshold is only a theme park ticket. It's another to spend tons of money, and commit two days to "an experience". Is the focus group rich tourists, huge star wars fans? or both? Rich tourists expect more from their accommodations. Star Wars fans expect an "authentic" experience. If Disney doesn't deliver on either of those....who's booking?

spent sometime yesterday reading fan reactions and watching take down videos. I think Disney may have a "problem" on its hands. Pulling the first major promo video is NOT a good look. One interesting thing I learned is the reservations could be made for 20% down, however the time for guests to pay the full 5-6k is upon us. with the first deadlines being Dec. 6th. This MAY be the reason Disney decided to pull these promo videos, as some people are having second thoughts. I think for their purposes, they may be better off keeping this more of a mystery, at least until the first reviews/bloggers come in. Disney bloggers tend to be either extremely positive or negative depending.

I think the best take I read on this, is that for this price Disney HAS to deliver. Its one thing to be disappointed with the Falcon ride, or even Galaxy Edge when you cost threshold is only a theme park ticket. It's another to spend tons of money, and commit two days to "an experience". Is the focus group rich tourists, huge star wars fans? or both? Rich tourists expect more from their accommodations. Star Wars fans expect an "authentic" experience. If Disney doesn't deliver on either of those....who's booking?
Yea I saw that in Brayden’s video. I don’t usually watch vids like that, but he made a good point about the timing here.

I think it's completely built for Instagram influencers and youtubers. All of the posts will start with "I stayed at Disney's $6000 a room Star Wars Hotel..."

the magic boards are boiling over with negativity, which isn't surprising, just seems more hostile then usual.

My negativity stems from the fact that while this is a building behind some trees that I’ll never stay in because it doesn’t interest me, it does actually affect the rest of us if it doesn’t do well. Back when something like this is approved there’s a committed return associated with it - if it doesn’t reach it, they have to go find the savings elsewhere for WDW to reach its expected performance. The local equivalent of #ThanksShanghai.

Revenue > expenses =/= profitable. There’s a $XXX million capital spend to recoup.

My negativity stems from the fact that while this is a building behind some trees that I’ll never stay in because it doesn’t interest me, it does actually affect the rest of us if it doesn’t do well. Back when something like this is approved there’s a committed return associated with it - if it doesn’t reach it, they have to go find the savings elsewhere for WDW to reach its expected performance. The local equivalent of #ThanksShanghai.

Revenue > expenses =/= profitable. There’s a $XXX million capital spend to recoup.

Disney has pretty much said they are looking to reduce parks capital expenditure going forward. This will just accelerate that trend unfortunately.

But bod assured the investor that this was a guarantee success on account of the sold out bookings. I know I’m overly Pessimistic about this project but like was mentioned before if this isn’t the success Disney expects it will result in less capital expenditure to make up for the losses when they already have lowered future expenditure going forward.

Let me take off my Negative Nancy hat for a second to say, before we go down the “let’s draw conclusions from booking availability” rabbit hole, one empty room would still mean this thing is running at 99% occupancy which would be the highest of (probably) any hotel on the planet.