Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Avengers Campus (DCA)

That’s a LONG time for Disney to go without a new ride. It looks like we’ll be back in the same gap it’s been from the time Cars Land opened to GE opened that we’ve had no new E-tickets.

If this were the 2010’s they probably could’ve gotten away with that but being that Disney is under such negative scrutiny that they are now, I don’t know if they can get away with that with USH stepping up their game.

Not to mention that is WAY too late for an Avengers E-ticket. What a joke. Not only are the OG Avengers completely irrelevant in the franchise now, but the MCU is probably going to be at its lowest peak in interest by then.
Or maybe it could come sooner. It will likely be announced at D23 to say an Avengers ride of some sorts is back on track. If they decide to clone the Guardians ride system from Epcot and break ground next year or 2024, we could see it completed by 2026-2027 depending on how fast they are on construction.

Ambitious Disney: a unique ride system with grand scenes and impressive animatronics
Chapek Disney: lets just clone and retheme gotg, why risk another rise situation?
GotG is bound to be popular so right now, unless they do some sort of Flight of Passage but better type of ride which I thought it was the original pitch, this makes the most sense from someone like Chapek and a Disney structure that loves to clone thing to save money on R&D.

GotG is bound to be popular so right now, unless they do some sort of Flight of Passage but better type of ride which I thought it was the original pitch, this makes the most sense from someone like Chapek and a Disney structure that loves to clone thing to save money on R&D.

I'm very realistic when it comes to expectations from parks which is why I never fell into the hype behind the initial Avengers concept. I just can't see them take another risk like Rise under Chapek/Dmaro.

So went to the park this week

My number one complaint about this land is the Characters are the selling point, fine then have a schedule for them

I asked over 6 cast members from both within the land and at Guest Services (went there a few times) and they literally told me to look at the App that only has Ironman and Spiderman times on it.....but Cap, Wanda, Wasp and American chavez I also saw out and no More Moon Knight I guess

So that is what I would like changed, if your going to have these land based around meet and greets have a schedule anyone can at least ask for

I'm surprised and happy they've kept up with the TV/movie drops and character additions. I'd love to know the teamwork between WDI, Disney Entertainment, and Marvel to get this done.
I think for now they sort of have to. Without the Avengers E-ticket, the only thing that keeps the land lively in any way is the characters and people of course want to see their favorite characters from new movies and shows so it's something that keeps APs coming back and to an otherwise lackluster land while they fiddle their thumbs on that E-ticket.

I think for now they sort of have to. Without the Avengers E-ticket, the only thing that keeps the land lively in any way is the characters and people of course want to see their favorite characters from new movies and shows so it's something that keeps APs coming back and to an otherwise lackluster land while they fiddle their thumbs on that E-ticket.
They better hurry up on that E-ticket. People are kinda losing interest in the MCU judging by word of mouth/box office drop-offs/reviews of Ant Man. Sure you can argue that “Secret Wars will do great” or “It’s too early at this point”, but will they really care by then? Phase 4 was boring and phase 5 isn’t looking any better right now with no clear direction. My concern is that Disney may notice this trend for the MCU and just be like “Eh, we waited to long. Forget it.” Their window for an Avengers E-ticket is closing fast. They’re waiting too long here.

Actually, I’m going to argue that they already lost their window. They should’ve settled on that rumored thrill coaster idea and not overthink so much on what kind of ride system to use. I’m not sure if Disney will be will by to go through with that E if the current trend for the MCU continues.

They better hurry up on that E-ticket. People are kinda losing interest in the MCU judging by word of mouth/box office drop-offs/reviews of Ant Man. Sure you can argue that “Secret Wars will do great” or “It’s too early at this point”, but will they really care by then? Phase 4 was boring and phase 5 isn’t looking any better right now with no clear direction. My concern is that Disney may notice this trend for the MCU and just be like “Eh, we waited to long. Forget it.” Their window for an Avengers E-ticket is closing fast. They’re waiting too long here.
Honestly, Ant-Man 3 is doing freaking great for a movie that got trashed on RT. $63.5M Thursday/Friday (more than the original Ant-Man alone), and an expected $110M 3-day with the potential for a $120-$130M 4-day. The RT scores for Ant-Man 3 are not too far off from Black Adam in many respects. Black Adam had a 38% rotten with 5.1/10 and Ant-Man 3 is 48% with 5.6/10.

Yet even with the Henry Cavill hype at the time, that movie only made $168M domestic and $392M worldwide. Like, I think we lose sight that $100M+ openings are freaking rare with there only being a select few per year. Every Marvel film has opened to at least $70M+ since 2016, with most hitting at least $100M. The last film to fall under the $70M threshold was the original Ant-Man in 2015.

Marvel is clearly having a quality issue, but people are still showing up, with every franchise excpept for Black Panther seeing increases over their prior entries (and Black Panther still did really good). Doctor Strange 2 did better than Doctor Strange. NWH did better than any Spider-Man movie ever. Thor 4 did better than any Thor movie. And Ant-Man is on track to do better than any Ant-Man movie has ever done. And you build an Avengers ride, it doesn't matter how rough the movies get. Universal built MSHI when Marvel Comics was in the toilet and people loved it. These are characters that people love whether the stories on screen are good or not so of course people are still going to want an Avengers ride.

I'm surprised and happy they've kept up with the TV/movie drops and character additions. I'd love to know the teamwork between WDI, Disney Entertainment, and Marvel to get this done.
It's because the park doesn't have to "pay" for it - it comes out of the marketing budget for the show/movie/etc.

Actually, I’m going to argue that they already lost their window. They should’ve settled on that rumored thrill coaster idea and not overthink so much on what kind of ride system to use. I’m not sure if Disney will be will by to go through with that E if the current trend for the MCU continues.
At the end of the day, the last remaining expansion plot in DCA is practically surrounded by Marvel and is too small for a new land so there's really no rush. Personally, I'm in the DCA doesn't currently need a new E-Ticket camp (probably a small camp, but hey) but announcing something was coming and then just going silent for, what, 4-5 years now was a bit of an own goal. Should have just announced the Avengers Campus we got and then left an expansion announcement for the future.

Personally, I'm in the DCA doesn't currently need a new E-Ticket camp (probably a small camp, but hey)
Yeah, can't agree with you here :lol:

I just visited the park for the first time since 2017 in September and aside from Avengers Campus and a retheme of Paradise Pier, the whole park felt dated. Hollywoodland and the animation academy do, Paradise Gardens feels it a bit, and original World Of Color (which was playing when I was there) certainly does imo. The park just felt like no love has been given to it lately, especially because I rode Mission Breakout in 2017, so that wasn't even new to me.

The park doesn't actually feel like there's much major to do when you're in it and when you've already gotten GotG, Web Slingers, RSR, and Incredicoaster done before 10, which is easily done when rope dropping since three of those four have single rider lines. We bought Genie+ at DL, but didn't bother when we were at DCA.

Maybe they plan on breaking ground next year on this E ticket with an opening date slated for 2026. I mean with the Multiverse concept the attraction can be easily updated as new heroes enter the fold. And Disney can move fast on projects if they want to. Avengers Campus would have been up in just 2 years if it were not for COVID. Though if for whatever reason they pull the plug on the E ticket based on the reasons you gave above, what would happen to the land it was supposed to go in? It is the last bit of expansion DCA has. Maybe expand Avengers Campus into it with two D ticket Web Slingers scale rides or use it for another themed mini land?

Yeah, can't agree with you here :lol:

I just visited the park for the first time since 2017 in September and aside from Avengers Campus and a retheme of Paradise Pier, the whole park felt dated. Hollywoodland and the animation academy do, Paradise Gardens feels it a bit, and original World Of Color (which was playing when I was there) certainly does imo. The park just felt like no love has been given to it lately, especially because I rode Mission Breakout in 2017, so that wasn't even new to me.

The park doesn't actually feel like there's much major to do when you're in it and you've already gotten GotG, Web Slingers, RSR, and Incredicoaster done before 10, which is easily done when rope dropping since three of those four have single rider lines. We bought Genie+ at DL, but didn't bother when we were at DCA.
All good points, but you’re looking at DCA like an out of state tourist, which is not the primary market. It’s the Epcot of DLR - it draws the locals without kids rolling in to have a few drinks and ride a few rides, except the mix (locals v. out of state tourists) is even higher than Epcot.

All good points, but you’re looking at DCA like an out of state tourist, which is not the primary market. It’s the Epcot of DLR - it draws the locals without kids rolling in to have a few drinks and ride a few rides, except the mix (locals v. out of state tourists) is even higher than Epcot.
I may be looking at it that way, but that doesn't mean it's invalid to think DCA deserves more.

I'm glad Disneyland Park finally got some expansions after years of pretty much nothing. SWGE still doesn't exactly fit right imo, but it added capacity. MMRR is a perfect fit and again added capacity to the park. I'm glad DL got those and it's an even better park for it, but i'm not asking for much with DCA here either. It's not unreasonable to expect that the E-ticket they promised in 2017 or so to actually be built. It's not unreasonable to want a show in the Hyperion Theater either.

My ideal scenario is build Avengers, open a show up in Hyperion, and bulldoze Hollywoodland for something like Zootopia. It's not a ton to ask honestly, just fix the clear weak spots.

DCA just needs two things, first one more so than the other:

1) A legit coaster that’s heavily themed. Something like Cosmic Rewind

2) A high-caliber dark ride like Zootopia, Rise, or Indy.

At least give DCA a highly themed coaster. The park needs one since DLR hasn’t had a new coaster in over 20 years. It’s time.

DCA just needs two things, first one more so than the other:

1) A legit coaster that’s heavily themed. Something like Cosmic Rewind

2) A high-caliber dark ride like Zootopia, Rise, or Indy.

At least give DCA a highly themed coaster. The park needs one since DLR hasn’t had a new coaster in over 20 years. It’s time.
The coasters will more likely come when DL forward gets the green light. I have a gut feeling when HollywoodLand is leveled for a new land, the e ticket will be some trackless ride on par with Zootopia. I would personally like to see that trackless ride themed around the Disney princesses where the guests have to team up with them to stop some sort of threat or the world being unraveled.

This is losing interest??? Marvel's 'Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania' scores $104 million during domestic debut