Dark Universe (Epic Universe) | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Dark Universe (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It goes without saying that this looks awesome.

But the big takeaway for me—this is a TON of resources and care put into an IP that isn’t generating billions in box office dollars or (as far as I can tell) merch. This is something that Management allowed the Creatives to take on as a passion project in this very unique and specific scenario in which they needed to round out a full park (not just one land in an existing destination). For that reason, this may be the most special theme park addition we see in our lifetimes (at least in Orlando).

I was thinking the same thing. This is a special one....and we should all feel thankful that Universal is giving us this gift to experience. The amount of detailed craftsmanship is astounding.....looks like people have put their heart and soul into this project.

I think you honestly nailed it the best here, this is without a doubt a massive passion project for the creative team and one that helps rounds things out for the park with something a little darker and thrilling. That's pretty unique for theme park lands around here.

This is without a doubt my most anticipated land in the whole park. To get a Universal Monsters land is such a dream come true, and it looks great! And while I know they'll be going all out with the Potter ride, Monsters Unchained is my most anticipated dark ride of the bunch. It's the monsters, and everything I've heard from @Alicia has me pumped for it! I've always felt the KUKA arm darkride still has untapped potential, and it sounds like they're having a lot of fun with this one! A bit of FJ, a bit of Alien Encounter, some madcap pace of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, can't wait!

I'm a bit torn. This really looks great and it's clear the passion shines through in every single detail. I don't think anyone is more excited than I am to see the Universal Monsters headline a permanent land in daytime in 2024 after my home Universal park closed both of their horror attractions in the last decade due to lack of interest (RIP Universal Monsters Cafe too). There's a lot of really great stuff here on every level. There's a lot of hype here, and rightfully so based on early impressions.

BUT.

I'm tempering my expectations slightly for a couple reasons. One of my core issues with the land is that I both love and appreciate themed lands, but you ultimately cannot ride them (this is an issue I have with many theme parks like Tokyo DisneySea). The problem is Universal does this ten times a year (ish) with temporary materials on both coasts for HHN, so I suppose I'm a little jaded because I *expect* this level of quality and attention to detail. Also, this land will live and die by the quality of the marquee ride to some extent, which is as of yet unknown (just assumed to be good). There's still a chance this land is not as good as the sum of its parts.

If we compare this to anything that exists, this is Hogsmeade in that there's a marquee ride (Forbidden Journey) and a short family coaster (Hippogriff) that is potentially an upgrade in terms of animatronics but is mere seconds longer in length nonetheless. I think Forbidden Journey is a very good, thrilling ride (even with the screens) with a cohesive story in spite of being a fan service laden greatest hits walkthrough, and I'm not even a huge Harry Potter fan. I have no doubt this will be good, but there's always that chance it misses the mark and is watered down, and it really needs to have a worthwhile, timeless story that's more just cool animatronics (see Tiana's Bayou).

So while I'm super happy that we got this land in 2024 against all odds, and it really looks like it's a standout passion project, but do I think this raises the bar set by Harry Potter more than a decade ago in terms of theming and rides? Objectively speaking, no. I'm not even sure it will surpass Galaxy's Edge yet, which, for all its many faults, is also a very good land, even in its highly nerfed form. Also, if decades of HHN speculation and attendance has taught me anything, it's to simply "wait and see" because you have to experience something first, as hype is no indicator of quality, so I'm only cautiously optimistic. I get this is a Universal centric forum, but I simply think it's way too early to declare this the best land ever and it's still going to need a couple more attractions first. Honestly, if we had gotten only the theater show and the coaster, I would have almost considered this land a disappointment, so I'm glad that the pandemic changed the plans. Not that I hate the theater, but it cannot support a themed land on its own. I really do hope that gets added at some point.

Back to the hype.

i still cannot believe that this is happening.
part of me still cant believe its real, i still cant fully accept that it is actually coming, i know it is being built, i know it's almost here, it's so close... but until opening day i just cant believe it lol
this is so amazing, its everything i ever wished for, everything i could ever wanted, a literal dream come true. i dont mind if it gets watered down, this is such a huge, giant win for horror.

technically everything im seeing is too dark and too scary, i can already hear families complaining about this area, i can already imagine the angry tweets, i can already see some of the backlash of this ride
Universal has had 30 years of experience responding to angry Karens who for some reason brought their children to HHN.

Also, The Haunted Mansion is for babies, yet right in the preshow starts with a man committing suicide (or worse, murdered) by hanging, with the lights going out and shrieks of terror. The 'haunted house' ride/ attraction has been a staple for generations. I think people are used to it by now.

Diversity of attractions and levels of attractions are key for any and all families you can't continually cater to one demographic. While some people hate scary, some family members may love scary and this park already has tons geared for young families. Also based on the number of young children i saw last year at HHN not crying...i don't think this land will have any issues.

Universal has had 30 years of experience responding to angry Karens who for some reason brought their children to HHN.

Also, The Haunted Mansion is for babies, yet right in the preshow starts with a man committing suicide (or worse, murdered) by hanging, with the lights going out and shrieks of terror. The 'haunted house' ride/ attraction has been a staple for generations. I think people are used to it by now.

maybe its because things feel so super hyper sensitive now, 10 years ago this land would have feel like nothing, social media wasnt as prevalent, it didnt feel as sensitive as now

american psycho GIF by Maudit

I-is this an invisible joke…

• Haha
Reactions: GA-MBIT and Ahmanet