Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

Netflix announced they are going to use password verification popups to clamp down on people sharing accounts. I wonder if Disney, and the other new streamer services, will follow in step to stop
any theft of services.
Some services use two-factor authentication already, Paramount+ and HBO Max do I know for a fact (and I think Hulu might). It won't stop too many people as if you are sharing, then you know the person anyway and can just ask, "hey, do you mind sending me the Netflix code?"

Also, once you're signed in, they don't ask you for a password or anything again and of course no one ever signs out. So unless they plan on asking people who are already signed in to verify something upon every time they use the service, then I don't see this bothering too many people who are splitting accounts when the #1 reason people split accounts is to save money.

Some services use two-factor authentication already, Paramount+ and HBO Max do I know for a fact (and I think Hulu might). It won't stop too many people as if you are sharing, then you know the person anyway and can just ask, "hey, do you mind sending me the Netflix code?"

Also, once you're signed in, they don't ask you for a password or anything again and of course no one ever signs out. So unless they plan on asking people who are already signed in to verify something upon every time they use the service, then I don't see this bothering too many people who are splitting accounts when the #1 reason people split accounts is to save money.
The Post article said that Netflix will be using a pop up while you are watching the show to verify that it's you and not a person that you gave the password to. This is presently a test. The popup will say, "If you don't live with the owner of this account, you need your own account to keep watching". Then the current test asks users to verify they are the account holder by entering a verification code that will be texted or emailed to them at that time.

Last edited:
The Times article said that Netflix will be using a pop up while you are watching the show to verify that it's you and not a person that you gave the password to.
Well we'll have to see how it'll be implemented. Netflix does allow you to create like 5 or 6 accounts though so how they will manage that and this new policy is what i'm interested in.

Well we'll have to see how it'll be implemented. Netflix does allow you to create like 5 or 6 accounts though so how they will manage that and this new policy is what i'm interested in.
Yes. I don't know how well they could surveillance that, but it sounds like they are going to make a real attempt to 'slow' the theft of services down. I'm guessing their
future predictions are they're going to hit a wall on new subscribers in the near future with all the new streaming competition. Their business model has always been as a
growth company with tons of new subscribers. That's how they've attracted investment dollars, and a direct relation to the stock price. They've never really been much of a
profitable company, so if their stock price drops a lot due to loss of market share, they'd be in trouble.

Yes. I don't know how well they could surveillance that, but it sounds like they are going to make a real attempt to 'slow' the theft of services down. I'm guessing their
future predictions are they're going to hit a wall on new subscribers in the near future with all the new streaming competition. Their business model has always been as a
growth company with tons of new subscribers. That's how they've attracted investment dollars, and a direct relation to the stock price. They've never really been much of a
profitable company, so if their stock price drops a lot due to loss of market share, they'd be in trouble.
They arent a profitable company in any shape or form. No streaming service is, but Netflix loses around $12B per year. It's all funny money with these streamers. Wall Street seems to love to hear about high subscriber numbers, which means building a large consumer base, but that eventually does need to be turned into a profit-making business, which it doesn't seem like Netflix is anywhere near (or even really attempting to achieve profitability right now).

Disney claims 2024 for profitability, but they also claim 100 new shows per year is on the agenda, so how both can be true is beyond me. Of course, once Comcast is out of Hulu and Disney can integrate Hulu/Star into Disney+ in the US, i'm expecting the price for Disney+ will skyrocket over here. It will over time anyway, but by 2024, i'm expecting Disney+ will be $15/month or so.

They arent a profitable company in any shape or form. No streaming service is, but Netflix loses around $12B per year. It's all funny money with these streamers. Wall Street seems to love to hear about high subscriber numbers, which means building a large consumer base, but that eventually does need to be turned into a profit-making business, which it doesn't seem like Netflix is anywhere near (or even really attempting to achieve profitability right now).

Disney claims 2024 for profitability, but they also claim 100 new shows per year is on the agenda, so how both can be true is beyond me. Of course, once Comcast is out of Hulu and Disney can integrate Hulu/Star into Disney+ in the US, i'm expecting the price for Disney+ will skyrocket over here. It will over time anyway, but by 2024, i'm expecting Disney+ will be $15/month or so.
I mean I won't complain about more shows...but I think just a show a week works.

Wanda Was the most watched show of so far this year and Soul the biggest movie streaming when it came out. So they could for sure just put out less but quality products and be fine.

If I was them I'd just make sure you have a Star Wars or Marvel show going and then mix in some other shows to see if they can catch a similar audience.

Also at this point if Disney is not planning some sort of spin off after Indy 4 for Disney plus....they are crazy. Some sort of Weekly Indy show I think would do very well.

I mean I won't complain about more shows...but I think just a show a week works.

Wanda Was the most watched show of so far this year and Soul the biggest movie streaming when it came out. So they could for sure just put out less but quality products and be fine.

If I was them I'd just make sure you have a Star Wars or Marvel show going and then mix in some other shows to see if they can catch a similar audience.

Also at this point if Disney is not planning some sort of spin off after Indy 4 for Disney plus....they are crazy. Some sort of Weekly Indy show I think would do very well.
I think something within the Indy world would be better than an Indy show. We don't want another "young Harrison Ford moment" (even though Solo was legitimately good in my eyes). I'm hoping Indy 5 will sprout new and interesting characters that they can then spin into using for a Disney+ show or something. Also I believe Wonder Woman 1984 was actually a more watched movie than Soul by a fairly significant margin. Coming 2 America now by the numbers is supposedly the most watched streaming movie ever.

If Disney is really going to up content to that much each year, you know there will be a lot of fluff in there, but there's also no way they can possibly produce 100 pieces of content in house, which means they will be buying content like Netflix does a decent amount of. This actually wouldn't be new for Disney+ as some of their movies towards the end of 2020 (Clouds, Black Beauty) were both produced by other studios and imo, Clouds, while feeling a bit too similar to The Fault in Our Stars, was a very good pickup for Disney+ (It was actually produced by WB).

I think something within the Indy world would be better than an Indy show. We don't want another "young Harrison Ford moment" (even though Solo was legitimately good in my eyes). I'm hoping Indy 5 will sprout new and interesting characters that they can then spin into using for a Disney+ show or something. Also I believe Wonder Woman 1984 was actually a more watched movie than Soul by a fairly significant margin. Coming 2 America now by the numbers is supposedly the most watched streaming movie ever.

If Disney is really going to up content to that much each year, you know there will be a lot of fluff in there, but there's also no way they can possibly produce 100 pieces of content in house, which means they will be buying content like Netflix does a decent amount of. This actually wouldn't be new for Disney+ as some of their movies towards the end of 2020 (Clouds, Black Beauty) were both produced by other studios and imo, Clouds, while feeling a bit too similar to The Fault in Our Stars, was a very good pickup for Disney+ (It was actually produced by WB).
I'll have to look up the numbers then a Youtuber I followed was touting Soul and Wanda as the most watched...so maybe he was misinformed.
But for Sure Wanda is the most talked about show this year...like Mando was last year.

Also I agree, which is why I say spin off show. Just hopefully the movie introduces us to someone who could take over a series of them own and do similar things but in a 8ish episode season.

I'll have to look up the numbers then a Youtuber I followed was touting Soul and Wanda as the most watched...so maybe he was misinformed.
But for Sure Wanda is the most talked about show this year...like Mando was last year.

Also I agree, which is why I say spin off show. Just hopefully the movie introduces us to someone who could take over a series of them own and do similar things but in a 8ish episode season.
So I guess it’s actually hard to tell who did better on Christmas. Wonder Woman had 35% more “viewed minutes” which is how Nielsen and others tend to calculate success as the streamers don’t report themselves.

The problem with that 35% though is WW84 is almost an hour longer than Soul, so obviously it’d have more “viewed minutes”.

I'm still waiting on them to add Muppets Tonight. That show was awesome in the late 90s.
It’ll happen eventually as Disney distributed it, unlike The Muppet Show, which was distributed by CBS.

There was a lot more that had to go into getting those rights than for Muppets Tonight.

Putting this here since it'll be a Star Original internationally and it will transfer to being a Disney+ show altogether for Season 4, which will focus on MLK Jr. I'll definitely try and binge this (or at least give it a chance) when I can as this has my interest.

So next Month is going to be pretty nice. We get Mighty Ducks and Falcon at the same time. Think this is a good strategy...one more main stream big show and another more mid tier show.

Also the Monsters Inc Show will also be going at the same time as Loki for 3 weeks so another good time to have disney plus

So next Month is going to be pretty nice. We get Mighty Ducks and Falcon at the same time. Think this is a good strategy...one more main stream big show and another more mid tier show.

Also the Monsters Inc Show will also be going at the same time as Loki for 3 weeks so another good time to have disney plus
During April, there will be two weeks where FatWs, Mighty Ducks, and Big Shot are all airing episodes at the same time, which fills out two mid-tier shows at the same time + a major title.

I highly doubt Disney will do too much overlapping of their major content though. They aren't going to want their big releases to compete with each other for the same reason that they didn't release Endgame on the same weekend as Toy Story 4, Lion King, or RotS in theaters. They are spending $150M-$200M on these Triple-A titles, they aren't going to put out stuff they are spending that much money on only to split the audience. Even Netflix knows better than to compete against themselves when they put out stuff with huge budgets.

Of course, internationally, they'll be seeing around 7-8 shows with episodes per week soon since they have Star...

I didn't know this was a David E. Kelley (Big Little Lies, Ally McBeal, Mr. Mercedes, Big Sky, etc) show, so that automatically gives me more hope it'll be more drama-based and bit more adult in tone. Kelley originally sold this show to ABC and then it got shifted to Disney+ a few years ago from what I read.

It'd be nice if this show was actually good as Disney+ needs more than just good shows based on their core brands.

National Treasure series ordered direct to series for 10-episodes.

I was about to say "No Cage, no interest," but then I read the rest of the story where they buried the lede:

"Meanwhile, Jon Turteltaub, who directed 2004’s “National Treasure” and its 2007 sequel “National Treasure: Book of Secrets,” is working with writer Chris Bremner on a third movie, with Nicolas Cage returning as the lead role of Benjamin Gates. Original cast members Justin Bartha, Diane Kruger, Harvey Keitel, Armando Riesco and Jon Voight are also expected to star in the third installment of the franchise."

I was about to say "No Cage, no interest," but then I read the rest of the story where they buried the lede:

"Meanwhile, Jon Turteltaub, who directed 2004’s “National Treasure” and its 2007 sequel “National Treasure: Book of Secrets,” is working with writer Chris Bremner on a third movie, with Nicolas Cage returning as the lead role of Benjamin Gates. Original cast members Justin Bartha, Diane Kruger, Harvey Keitel, Armando Riesco and Jon Voight are also expected to star in the third installment of the franchise."
The third movie has been in the works for awhile. Most recently, Bruckheimer said a script was in the works last year. I don't believe Nic Cage would be a part of this as of now, though.