Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

Just wanted to say that Home Sweet Home Alone is every bit as bad as it looked. Whatever potential the movie had was immediately undercut by a misguided decision to make the burglars sympathetic characters.

make the burglars sympathetic characters.
giphy.gif

That sounds like quite a choice!

Just wanted to say that Home Sweet Home Alone is every bit as bad as it looked. Whatever potential the movie had was immediately undercut by a misguided decision to make the burglars sympathetic characters.
Yup. I didn’t understand that choice. But at this point, it’s about what I expect from a Home Alone movie to be.

They wasted a great young talent in Archie Yates, though.

A fairly big announcement that's under flying the radar is that Disney and WarnerMedia have worked out a deal where they will split some of the 20th Century Studios & Searchlight films between HBO Max and Disney+/Hulu starting now through the end of 2022, when the Fox/Warner agreement ends.

The first film of note that will be joining Disney+ (and HBO Max at the same time) is Ron's Gone Wrong on December 15th, a well reviewed film by critics (80% on RT) with an extremely high Audience Score (94%) among those who actually decided to go an see it in theaters.

So Part 1 of The Beatles: Get Back is out today and this is the most Peter Jackson project ever. This is just Part 1 of 3 (the other two parts debut tomorrow and Saturday) and this part ALONE is pretty much as long as you’d expect a Peter Jackson film to be on its own at 2 hours and 36 minutes. The other 2 parts are supposedly around the same length.

I’ll be watching the first part tonight, as it’s getting rave reviews and just generally looks Visually amazing for footage that was recorded 52 years ago. The sound quality is also extremely crisp given when it was recorded.

Watched 45 minutes, had to stop because it's Thanksgiving, but yeah;

this is the most Peter Jackson thing that Peter Jackson has ever released in the sphere of film-based trilogies made by Peter Jackson. That's a long and winded way of saying, part one's stellar.
The crazy thing is Peter Jackson is already talking about trying to get Disney to eventually add his EIGHTEEN HOUR directors cut to Disney+, the version he says is his favorite.

I think people praise Jackson for his excess - but I find it self-serving. In my opinion, being a good director means understanding pace and his unrelenting cuts of films (ahem hobbit, King Kong, lovely bones) make me feel like he truly lacks that ability as a director.

Don’t get me wrong, I like most of his movies, I just wish he gave us cleaner products. Even this Beatles documentary, I’ve been waiting excitedly for it, but knowing it’s like 7 hours long over three parts makes me roll my eyes given it’s about one album.

The crazy thing is Peter Jackson is already talking about trying to get Disney to eventually add his EIGHTEEN HOUR directors cut to Disney+, the version he says is his favorite.

I honestly think the only way he's going to get that approved, is if each part is an hour each in a total of 16-17 episodes. Assuming he can split it to an hour and a half each instance.

I actually had a pretty good time watching it due to exactly how bad it was lol. Making the villains likable was ridiculous.

I was too shocked by how bad it was to enjoy it! Every time the soundtrack dropped one of the John Williams cues from the original, I was like "You don't deserve this music."

HIGHLY recommend The Rescue which made it's way onto Disney+ this week. It's made by the same team that did Free Solo and is about the rescue of the soccer club that got stuck in a Thai cave in 2018.

I expect this will win Best Documentary at the Oscars.

So something I noticed now that I finally decided to dive in on Get Back was that there’s a strong language warning at the beginning and F-bombs be flying’ in this. It really surprised me since it’s a D+ Original and Disney has their No F-bomb rule.

It got me wondering…. Why are The Beatles the exception to the rule? Sure, they’re The Beatles, but Taylor Swift, Billie Eillish, and Hamilton have all been censored and forced to be PG-13. So why does Get Back, a series of basically three 2.5 hour movies, get the pass to be put on US Disney+ (instead of Hulu) at a TV-MA/R rating? Disney doesn't actually show a rating for Get Back in the US because it would be MA and they don't want set a standard that they are willing to put that type of content on the service, because then people would start asking for Deadpool, Die Hard, etc. In recent surveys, it shows 55-65% of D+ subscribers want more adult content or want Hulu content on Disney+.

Well, here's why the series of films got a pass. It wasn't for lack of trying to censor on Disney's part. Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, and Olivia Harrison stepped in and basically said they wouldn't approve of it if it was censored. What that says to me is that in the future, people need to hold Disney's feet to the fire and not budge on these things. I feel like if Lin-Manuel Miranda had pushed harder, he could've gotten an uncensored Hamilton. Same with Swift and Eillish if Disney+ wanted them on their platform.

“Paul [McCartney] describes it as being very raw,” Jackson said. “He said to me: ‘That is a very accurate portrayal of how we were then.’ Ringo [Starr] said: ‘It’s truthful.’ The truthfulness of it is important to them. They don’t want a whitewash. They don’t want it to be sanitized. Disney wanted to remove all the swearing and Ringo, Paul, and Olivia [Harrison] said: ‘That’s how we spoke. That’s how we talked. That’s how we want the world to see us.'”

Free Guy is the next movie under the new HBO Max-Disney+ agreement with 20th Century Films to debut on both services (Ron’s Gone Wrong being the first). It hits the service February 23rd.

If a big movie like Free Guy is being shared, then West Side Story should be too. If it’s shared at the same 6 month window between release and streaming (goodness, Free Guy has been on D+ internationally since September), then West Side Story should hit D+ some time around July 2022.

Last edited:
This week speaks volumes about the library content shortage we have here in US (and lack of new shows) compared to the UK. The PG13 cap in the US really holds the service back.

US:

UK:

oh and for good measure, The Last Duel is already streaming on Disney+ in the UK.

Someone on a Disney+ fan page made this graphic below and this should really be what D+ is. I’m not sure I’d give Touchstone or Blue Sky a tile and would probably replace them with ESPN+ and FX, but overall, this would be much more in line with what Disney promised. Everything in one place.

I get that there are still some Licensing deals going on, but they are still keeping so much that isn’t hung up in licensing agreements vaulted and just not putting it on Disney+. Specifically classic Walt specials, select 90’s animated shows, and almost all of the classic 20th Century library.

FB9B8DDA-A1B7-44E2-989C-549BBDDBB48E.jpeg