Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

There is a lot of vaulted content but with them making cuts tot he service if anything we will see less content being made and some just going away.
I hope I'm wrong but looks like HBO started the cutting content trend and think many companies will follow

That was the plan but what I understand from Iger is that they will start renting out their ip's to other streaming companies to generate much needed cash. Something Peacock is already doing. After a (I think) 3 month exclusivity on Peacock their movies can go to Netflix or whoever want to pay good money for it. It'll maximize profit.
He said no cord brands would be a part of that though. So I think you’re looking at a lot of ABC and Fox shows and 20th Century Studios movies being the ones licensed out.

He said no cord brands would be a part of that though. So I think you’re looking at a lot of ABC and Fox shows and 20th Century Studios movies being the ones licensed out.
I get what you are saying but I think "brands" and "core brands" can change. So everything is up for external rental if the price is right (I think that is the smart idea).

Disney+ is purging its content similar to WBD did to Max. Over half of Disney+ originals are going away. Pretty soon Netflix is going to be able to market simply on the fact that they don’t remove shows to raise the stock price…

1. A Spark Story
  2. America the Beautiful
  3. Among the Stars
  4. Artemis Fowl
  5. Be Our Chef
  6. Behind the Magic: The Making of Willow
  7. Best In Snow
  8. Better Nate Than Never
  9. Black Beauty
  10. Big Shot
  11. Cheaper by the Dozen (2022)
  12. Clouds
  13. Diary of a Future President (CBS)
  14. Disney Fairy Tale Weddings
  15. Dollface
  16. Earth To Ned
  17. Encore!
  18. Everything’s Trash
  19. Harmonious Live!
  20. Howard
  21. It’s a Dog’s Life With Bill Farmer
  22. Just Beyond
  23. Magic Camp
  24. Marvel’s MPOWER
  25. Marvel’s Project Hero
  26. Marvel’s Voices Rising: The Music of Wakanda Forever
  27. Mighty Ducks: Game Changers
  28. More Than Robots
  29. Mysterious Benedict Society
  30. Own the Room
  31. Pentatonix: Around the World for the Holidays
  32. Pick of the Litter
  33. Rogue Trip
  34. Shop Class
  35. Stargirl
  36. Stuntman
  37. Super / Natural
  38. The Big Fib
  39. The One And Only Ivan
  40. The Quest
  41. The Real Right Stuff
  42. The World According To Jeff Goldblum
  43. Timmy Failure
  44. Turner & Hooch
  45. Weird But True!
  46. Willow
  47. Wolfgang
  48. Family Reboot

This just makes me so sad
Yeah, any content getting pulled sucks and I hate the business strategy, but there’s some real gems within what is being taken off that unfortunately just never got seen too much bc Disney+ does a terrible job at marketing non-Marvel/Star Wars content.

The ONLY positive is *maybe* some of this stuff will actually get Blu-Ray releases now?

Yeah, any content getting pulled sucks and I hate the business strategy, but there’s some real gems within what is being taken off that unfortunately just never got seen too much bc Disney+ does a terrible job at marketing non-Marvel/Star Wars content.

The ONLY positive is *maybe* some of this stuff will actually get Blu-Ray releases now?
I hope so

My fear is what if even stuff like the new Muppet show gets taken off. It also means we may never get the Aladdin TV show...because Disney can't manage this app right

The more likely thing is I think a lot of these former D+ originals will now be licensed out to Netflix, Amazon, etc.
Which is why I'm saying the app is being mishandled

Its the Disney app.....all Disney shows should be on it not sold off. If there excuse is people aren't watching then market them better or make better shows. It's just frustrating to everyone, giving me Netflix vibes and its why I barley watch Netflix anymore because if your going to hook me to a show then don't just take it away

Which is why I'm saying the app is being mishandled

Its the Disney app.....all Disney shows should be on it not sold off. If there excuse is people aren't watching then market them better or make better shows. It's just frustrating to everyone, giving me Netflix vibes and its why I barley watch Netflix anymore because if your going to hook me to a show then don't just take it away
The positive is say a show goes to Netflix and something like Willow or something (for example) found a big fan base there that it never would have had on D+. Could that actually lead to them green lighting new seasons of some of these shows? Not necessarily likely, but possible if Netflix were to see enough pop.

Cannot recommend American Born Chinese enough! All 8 episodes dropped Wednesday (around 30-35 minutes each) so it's a fairly quick binge and is very enjoyable with a great cast and great writing. It's certified fresh on RT at 95%.

Here's the consensus:
"Jam-packed with inventive flourishes and grounded by lovable actors, American Born Chinese musters epic elements from Chinese mythology to tell a deeply relatable coming of age story."

I'd say this is the first truly great non-Star Wars/MCU scripted show on Disney+, but A Small Light also came out recently and is also very good (certified fresh at 100%). It tackles a heavy subject matter so it's not the happiest show, but the acting is superb as is the writing. Disney+ really hit it out of the park with these two shows back to back imo and neither had anything to do with a big brand! Progress for Disney+!

Last edited:
It'd be hard to pull off - and it'll never happen with the original content purge.. but I'd love to see another season of The Imagineering Story.
Light & Magic showed that there's room to do a very similar type of docuseries on other parts of the company. I'd Love to see one on The Muppets in coordination with The Jim Henson Company. Do one on Marvel. The storied history of 20th Century.

I watched it out of some sense of internal obligation to see what they did with it, if not any faith that it would be good, which is something I think I can say for most of the modern Disney movies I've seen.
Yeah, I know it got a lot of viewership, but a lot of it wasn’t the kind that warrants another sequel as I think most people tuned in out of genuine interest as to if it was any good. They saw what they needed to see and probably won’t return for a third outing.

Avatar really does have a magical theatrical formula. I saw the movie in theaters with different friends about three times and never did I even question the run time or time commitment.

On streaming 3 hours and 15 minutes just seems so much more daunting. Probably because when we watch movies at home we tend to be preoccupied, multitaskers and get distracted easily so our attention span isn't as long when watching something on a streaming service as opposed to a theater. It also automatically loses part of it's real magic on streaming since there's no 3D option (unless you still have a 3D TV I suppose).