Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Wizard of Oz thing was also my biggest takeaway as well.

Having been to Vegas 3 times, and been outside the Luxor and MGM Grand, I've never been inside.

I went to Vegas in the mid 90s for the first time as a 16 year old. At that time Vegas was trying it’s hardest to be Disney for Adults...and their children. We stayed at the MGM Grand and I vividly remember watching the Wizard of Oz show. If you’ve seen the movie Swingers, it’s heavily referenced...”She’s a Dorothy”
Anyway at the time there were theme parks, water parks, and huge arcades for kids.
Things are a lot different now. In the late 90s, Early 00’s Vegas realized they made way more money focusing on just adults. Parents were encouraged to “leave the kids at home”

The Wizard of Oz thing was also my biggest takeaway as well.

Having been to Vegas 3 times, and been outside the Luxor and MGM Grand, I've never been inside.
I grew up in the 90's and that was when it was the best for kids. The Wizard of OZ stuff was sooo cool to me (look it up on youtube) and Excalibur used to have a free show with a Dragon at night, along with like hours of Free shows next to the buffet (that area is now a bar)
Got very lucky being born in the 90's the cartoons were killing it back then, and we still had reruns of Hannah Barbra Cartoons, old Mickey Shorts and Looney Tunes. While kids today have more than ever to watch I just doubt many watch old Mickey cartoons even if they are on Disney plus.

As for AMC I wonder if they will even open late July...I could see them having to push it back again, and tried of studio's playing the game. Like pick a date and stick with it or dont put a date...lol
Like Tenet has moved like 4 times now.

I grew up in the 90's and that was when it was the best for kids. The Wizard of OZ stuff was sooo cool to me (look it up on youtube) and Excalibur used to have a free show with a Dragon at night, along with like hours of Free shows next to the buffet (that area is now a bar)
Got very lucky being born in the 90's the cartoons were killing it back then, and we still had reruns of Hannah Barbra Cartoons, old Mickey Shorts and Looney Tunes. While kids today have more than ever to watch I just doubt many watch old Mickey cartoons even if they are on Disney plus.

As for AMC I wonder if they will even open late July...I could see them having to push it back again, and tried of studio's playing the game. Like pick a date and stick with it or dont put a date...lol
Like Tenet has moved like 4 times now.
It’s a game of chicken right now. I think the studios want to see theaters open before they release anything, but theaters don’t want to open only for Studios to push off again.

It’s a game of chicken right now. I think the studios want to see theaters open before they release anything, but theaters don’t want to open only for Studios to push off again.
Then just don't put a date on it....to me its better to say TBA then keep moving it. That seems to show they have even less idea of whats going on but maybe thats just me.

Then just don't put a date on it....to me its better to say TBA then keep moving it. That seems to show they have even less idea of whats going on but maybe thats just me.
It’s also a matter of, in order for a major film to open, Studios want at least 80-85% of theaters open so they can make the most amount of money possible. LA, NYC and SF account for 25% of all box office, so those markets need to be open. Unfortunately, California is a hot spot and movie theaters got moved out of NY’s phase 4 to a TBD date. Currently, NYC is only in phase 2.

It’s also a matter of, in order for a major film to open, Studios want at least 80-85% of theaters open so they can make the most amount of money possible. LA, NYC and SF account for 25% of all box office, so those markets need to be open. Unfortunately, California is a hot spot and movie theaters got moved out of NY’s phase 4 to a TBD date. Currently, NYC is only in phase 2.

and now Cuomo is pausing reopenings of indoor dining and bars since it's getting crazy on the streets with people partying. So the entire NY opening might get pushed back unless things calm down.

It just seems to me that Paddlefish and Terralina brought all those people back to work right away just to lay some off again rather than bringing them back in stages. Right now DS is still slow, but Disney still hasn't reopened. Disney is bringing CMs back in groups with the idea that if business warrants and they bring in more.

and now Cuomo is pausing reopenings of indoor dining and bars since it's getting crazy on the streets with people partying. So the entire NY opening might get pushed back unless things calm down.
I really think that it's possible that we don't see any new movies in theaters until sometime around October or November, if not until next year at a worst case scenario. But I have heavy doubt that these movies will be playing in August as of now.

Sorry if this was already posted, but Boradway officially extended the closure until January 3, 2021. Three shows, including Frozen, will not come back when theaters light up again.

The Music Man starring Hugh Jackman, aka the musical that killed Beetlejuice's Broadway run, will open in May.

Anecdotally people are not tired of drive-ins. I've tried to get tickets to one of the ones here but they're sold out for weeks. Whenever theaters finally do open (assuming it's safe) they're going to be swamped.

Anecdotally people are not tired of drive-ins. I've tried to get tickets to one of the ones here but they're sold out for weeks. Whenever theaters finally do open (assuming it's safe) they're going to be swamped.
Three businesses that are having rebirths because of covid: *Golf courses *Drive In Theaters *Catalog (movies/tv series more than a year since release date) DVD's/Blu Ray's

Status
Not open for further replies.