General Reality TV Thread | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

General Reality TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I just disagree, everyone currently playing is there to win.
If they are, they sure smile a lot when they’re the first ones getting voted out. Especially when they’ve been away from home for three weeks. To play for three days and then be gone? There’s a lot of graciousness in these players that makes me think they’re more interested in the experience than the game/winning.

I met Yau Man way back when, and asked him if playing the game was worth it. His smile disappeared, like the weight of losing hit him all over again, and he said, “Only if you win.”

That’s the mentality I miss, and we rarely see it anymore.

If they are, they sure smile a lot when they’re the first ones getting voted out. Especially when they’ve been away from home for three weeks. To play for three days and then be gone? There’s a lot of graciousness in these players that makes me think they’re more interested in the experience than the game/winning.

I met Yau Man way back when, and asked him if playing the game was worth it. His smile disappeared, like the weight of losing hit him all over again, and he said, “Only if you win.”

I think people are just happy to play Survivor, knowing they can lose since they’re just 1/18. Being happy while playing the game is an odd complaint imo. I don’t say condescendingly or at least am not trying to, I’m just not sure this new survivor is for you though.

Also, COOL about Yau Man!

Finally got to watch the opener for Drag Race UK 3. Solid opening episode with some emotional moments but some manufactured drama. They seem to be making Charity into this season’s villain (or as much as UK does that formula). Ella is this seasons trade.

Am curious as to your particular thoughts on last nights episode....

Am curious as to your particular thoughts on last nights episode....
Finally working through the episode since internet in this hotel is terrible. It literally took about three hours across as many days to get through a 44 minute episode.

First, I feel like Jeff is still very upset his day-time talk show got canceled. His intro to Tribal Council, questions and comments about what it’s like to “play Survivor,” the player’s comments about “Jeff” adding twists, the player packages… it’s all incredibly overwrought and takes away time from the actual gameplay (in previous seasons, we would learn about players’ pasts as they discuss them with other players—we watched the social game live). It all detracts and makes for an infuriating watch.

Regarding the actual game:

My favorite thing about the show, at this point, is watching all of the attempts to liven up the game with complicated twists result in failure to actually do anything to the game. Xander getting an extra vote, and then not being allowed to actually use it, is a great example. It only would have been better if he had gone home. Because that would have been the smart play—not because he was a good player, but because he had the most advantages (going back to over to an over-produced product).

But Tiffany played scared. I get it, but it showed a complete lack of trust in the only alliance working with her. And so, because Evvie and Lianna decided to play friendly-smart instead of ruthless-smart, a non-factor went home and the more dangerous player remained.

Because Evvie HAD the cards to play ruthless-smart. She knew unequivocally Xander had no vote and no idol. That means she knows there are only 4 votes.

The ruthless vote is:

Voce votes for Tiff
Tiff votes for Voce
Evvie and Lianna vote Xander.

Xander goes home, nullifying an extra vote and a potential immunity idol. They have to do a little bit of damage control, but Tiff doesn’t really have any other options at the moment. Explain why Xander was more dangerous because he didn’t have an idol tonight but he may have an idol tomorrow and you have to shoot your shot, and be done with it.

And so help me if they’re bringing back a redemption island twist…

So i've gotten into The Challenge the past 2-3 seasons and finally decided to watch all of the old ones. It'll take me quite awhile to get through them all, but i'm starting with Inferno 2 on Netflix and then all of the TJ Lavin seasons (which starts at 11/Fresh Meat).

I shouldn't be surprised since it used to be The Real World/Road Rules Challenge, but it's very interesting how the way the show used to have a very Real World vibe around the house and when they were partying, but more Road Rules in the Challenges. I guess in some ways, you could argue that element is still there, but the show used to be more stripped down. Now it feels over-produced and (much like Big Brother), like they try to impress with twists, lavish set design and explosives used a lot instead.

I do like how this show isn't afraid to evolve though. No season is really exactly alike. For instance, in Season 12, they pretty much played a much more fun and interesting game of big brother all packed into less time and less episodes. There was the Mission (HOH equivalent), Deliberation & Mission winner selections (Nominations), Pardon Competition (POV), and then Exile (Eviction).

Double Agents (S36) on the other hand is nothing like Big Brother. In order to win you had to put yourself down into the Crater and get a Gold Skull in order to even run the final. It was everything Big Brother hyped up for BB23 ("No risk, no reward"), but it actually followed through. If you weren't willing to risk your life in the game to get one of those skulls, then you had no shot at the $1M grand prize.

I appreciate that the show differentiates like this from season to season, and although I feel like the vets ganging up on the rookies has been a bit boring to watch this season, it is nice to have some new young blood introduced into a game where the cast isn't exactly full of spring chickens anymore and needs to be injected with some fresh faces every once in awhile, especially since some of the older players like CT, Aneesa, Darrell, etc are going to have to hang it up eventually. Seems like Bananas pretty much has in favor of doing his podcast.

Reactions: Legacy
Bananas had said that, prior to his last season (Maximum Madness), he was mentally prepared for that to be his final season. However, he’s also said the outcome of that season revitalized him some to potentially come back. He’s also commented that the current, “competition-focused” game is a far more stressful, less enjoyable game than what he grew up playing. So, he’s likely just taking a break and will come back if he gets the itch.

But, Challenge, is the best reality competition on TV. It continuously evolve the structure in a way that makes the game itself exciting and stressing a social game over almost everything.

Reactions: Nick
But, Challenge, is the best reality competition on TV. It continuously evolve the structure in a way that makes the game itself exciting and stressing a social game over almost everything.
It's also the only competition show where it's a game of politics, in a big way. Other reality shows have a bit of it, but not nearly to this level. You have to be there to survive a lot of eliminations, so it's like the classic "Friends close, enemies closer" thing, so that you don't piss off the wrong person and go home yourself until it gets to that point in the game where it's time to battle.

Reactions: Legacy
He was on last season, so I’m touch less excited for him than I am for Cohutta.
lol, why do I not remember him? I don't remember that All-Star season all that well tbh as I started it and stopped for a solid 3-4 months before finishing. I don't think I finished until Challenge 37 started.

lol, why do I not remember him? I don't remember that All-Star season all that well tbh as I started it and stopped for a solid 3-4 months before finishing. I don't think I finished until Challenge 37 started.
lol

He didn’t get a lot of screen time as he wasn’t involved in any drama
and was eliminated in the first leg of the final.

Just checking to see if anyone on here is enjoying this season of survivor. It's so frustrating that success is being penalized. Find an idol, well you can't vote for a while and you have to essentially tell everyone that you have it. You successfully activate your idol, well now someone can steal it and they know you have it since you basically had to say hey I found one. Then you have this weeks twist again penalizes success. Not to mention I need a board to keep track of who has what advantage.
I am not against change on the show. I liked how they did the 1st walk to get an advantage by guessing what other people were going to do, but then week 2, and week 3 they do the same thing :yawn:.

Also I don't find many people likable this season. Nassir is my favorite and I can't explain why. Hope this season turns around or I might have to bail for the 1st time ever mid season (seen all except 23-26, was busy living that college life).

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Just checking to see if anyone on here is enjoying this season of survivor. It's so frustrating that success is being penalized. Find an idol, well you can't vote for a while and you have to essentially tell everyone that you have it. You successfully activate your idol, well now someone can steal it and they know you have it since you basically had to say hey I found one. Then you have this weeks twist again penalizes success. Not to mention I need a board to keep track of who has what advantage.
I am not against change on the show. I liked how they did the 1st walk to get an advantage by guessing what other people were going to do, but then week 2, and week 3 they do the same thing :yawn:.

Also I don't find many people likable this season. Nassir is my favorite and I can't explain why. Hope this season turns around or I might have to bail for the 1st time ever mid season (seen all except 23-26, was busy living that college life).

Yeah, I’m still watching but I’m out on this season after last night, literally nothing matters! Your vote, your advantage, your immunity, literally not one thing matters. What a mess tbh. They’re taking every twist just ONE step too far. Frustrating.

I disagree about the cast, they’re what’s saving the show

Reactions: DeadSexeh
Has anyone heard anything about when the new season of Road Rules is happening? And on the topic, anyone have anywhere to actually watch RR? It’s not on Paramount+, which is pretty infuriating.

Yeah, I’m still watching but I’m out on this season after last night, literally nothing matters! Your vote, your advantage, your immunity, literally not one thing matters. What a mess tbh. They’re taking every twist just ONE step too far. Frustrating.
Thank you, this articulates perfectly how I feel. Go somewhere and wager your vote with other people good the first time but stop at one. Having to do something to reveal you have an idol. That is a fun idea but then you lose your vote and someone can now steal your idol, that is just dumb. Merge half the people is safe, might give an interesting tribe dynamic. Well winning doesn't mean anything as the person you sent away can take your win away (would likely happen as anyone singled out will be bitter).

I disagree about the cast, they’re what’s saving the show
I get it, everyone has their taste in what people they enjoy. I usually get drawn to the goofy and wild card characters (Brad, JD, Nassir). The heavy edits so far of people I just don't like. Shan feels to me like she is trying to put on a show for the camera in hopes of getting fame (mainly that she gave herself song when she does stuff). Then for Ricard I am just getting worried that he will get a loyal group and just steam roll through to the end. Also I find him to just be boring as and on screen presence, but super smart which is what scares me about him getting control and never letting go.

So like I mentioned awhile ago, i'm watching older seasons of The Challenge. Started with 8/The Inferno on Netflix and have since been putting my Paramount+ subscription to good use and am sort of blasting through those seasons as many are only 20 minute episodes or 8-10 episode seasons.

I'm on 17/The Duel 2 currently and holy crap what an opening to the season. Episode 1 is actually missing from Paramount+, so I had to find another way to watch it and after watching I can see why the episode isn't on. It makes their golden boy (CT) look pretty damn bad and it also just makes MTV look bad. He turns into a raging bull where no security shows up, the guys in the house can't stop him, and even after being separated, he still found his way back to Adam to try to beat his ass for a second time! Needless to say he was immediately removed once they got the situation under control.

As I understand it, the same thing happened in Inferno 3, but I wouldn't really know if it wasn't for flashbacks that were briefly shown in during The Gauntlet 3. Why? That entire season isn't on Paramount+, presumably for similar reasons. I just found it very interesting as if anyone pulled THIS today on The Challenge, there's no way you'd be invited back. There's also no way it could get to this point with how security steps in at the threat of any minor altercation.

The CT/Adam fight, for as bad as it was, isn’t even the worst of the “golden boy gets away for horrible crime” (look up the Tonya/Kenneth/Evan thing).

The show is in a better place now.