General Reality TV Thread | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

General Reality TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Not sure how many of you stuck with BB after last year, but boy oh boy, how far we've come in just one season. Most successful alliance in BB history and for the first time in 23 seasons, there will be a black winner.

I can't help but think Da'Vonne helped speak this into existence with her exit speech last year:

• Love
Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
Not sure how many of you stuck with BB after last year, but boy oh boy, how far we've come in just one season. Most successful alliance in BB history and for the first time in 23 seasons, there will be a black winner.

I can't help but think Da'Vonne helped speak this into existence with her exit speech last year:

I’ve been in and out as the last few weeks have been predictable cause of the alliance, but arguably goat alliance in the history of the show? The way they got to the F6 was through a LOT of work and social manipulation. Anyone who says the season is boring hasn’t been paying attention, and it’s really inspiring to see this alliance stay together for a cause that they know is important to many fans, even though most of them don’t like each other (ahem, Kyland). Definitely a solid season!

Also, Survivor 41 is back September 22nd!

Reactions: Nick
I’ve been in and out as the last few weeks have been predictable cause of the alliance, but arguably goat alliance in the history of the show? The way they got to the F6 was through a LOT of work and social manipulation. Anyone who says the season is boring hasn’t been paying attention, and it’s really inspiring to see this alliance stay together for a cause that they know is important to many fans, even though most of them don’t like each other (ahem, Kyland). Definitely a solid season!

Also, Survivor 41 is back September 22nd!
Yeah, I know a lot of people say it's a steamroll, but it really hasn't been. They've been out of control so much that it really depended on their social game being so top notch and that has been just as interesting to watch in a way. I will say though that Xavier has CLEARLY benefited most from this alliance, as he's a huge threat and he's been allowed to skate by easy because of having The Cookout and his side alliances to shield him. I think unless he's taken out at 5 or 6, he'll just comp himself to the F2 and if he ends up in the F2, I don't see how he loses.

And speaking of other shows coming back, The Circle just debuted the first four episodes of Season 3 on Netflix and CBS just announced The Amazing Race 33 for 2022 and Celebrity Big Brother 3 for Winter 2022 as counter-programing against the Olympics.

Yeah, I know a lot of people say it's a steamroll, but it really hasn't been. They've been out of control so much that it really depended on their social game being so top notch and that has been just as interesting to watch in a way. I will say though that Xavier has CLEARLY benefited most from this alliance, as he's a huge threat and he's been allowed to skate by easy because of having The Cookout and his side alliances to shield him. I think unless he's taken out at 5 or 6, he'll just comp himself to the F2 and if he ends up in the F2, I don't see how he loses.

And speaking of other shows coming back, The Circle just debuted the first four episodes of Season 3 on Netflix and CBS just announced The Amazing Race 33 for 2022 and Celebrity Big Brother 3 for Winter 2022 as counter-programing against the Olympics.
It’s an entertaining steamroll is the way I’ve been framing it cause they’ve earned this steamroll more than any other alliance in the history of the show. Importance and historical context aside, The Cookout is the best alliance in the shows history I believe. I think all could do well on their own also, minus Derek F. Going to be fascinating from here on out.

Shocked to hear that about Amazing Race! Is it just going to be a US only season? I kinda can’t imagine that show filming anytime soon.

For those into trashy celeb shows, Masked Singer returns with a 2 night premiere on Sept 22nd and 23rd, double elimination the first episode.

Dancing with the stars announced their cast for their 30th season also. Imo, not bad! I recognize almost everyone surprisingly.

It’s an entertaining steamroll is the way I’ve been framing it cause they’ve earned this steamroll more than any other alliance in the history of the show. Importance and historical context aside, The Cookout is the best alliance in the shows history I believe. I think all could do well on their own also, minus Derek F. Going to be fascinating from here on out.

Shocked to hear that about Amazing Race! Is it just going to be a US only season? I kinda can’t imagine that show filming anytime soon.

For those into trashy celeb shows, Masked Singer returns with a 2 night premiere on Sept 22nd and 23rd, double elimination the first episode.

Dancing with the stars announced their cast for their 30th season also. Imo, not bad! I recognize almost everyone surprisingly.

Production for TAR 33 is starting this month:

Survivor 41 premiere is TONIGHT at 8 est. I’m beaming with excitement!
What a weird episode. They really put the players in an awful spot with the "guys" question. No matter what the decision was made there were going to be a hate mob sent in one of the Survivors direction.

The game changes are interesting and have potential. I am assuming you only get to use the shot in the dark once, but it was never clearly stated.

The editing on this episode was weird and not a fan of. They put a focus on the lack of supplies and food but never really showed how that effected camp life but that could change. Not a fan of the backstory video package they put together for a few players. My biggest confusion was with the 2nd tribal. Not sure why the Ricard vote happened. Unless I missed something they edited out votes being read. I thought it was 1, 1, 1, and then on the next vote he just went 2nd person voted out. Maybe I missed something?

I’m absolutely over how much Survivor insists upon its cultural importance. Like… who is that for? The fans watching are already fans, and if you’re just trying to get into the show, it comes across as just overworked autofellatio.

Like… my god.

EDIT - And this casting… Evvie is literally Cochran 2.0. JD basically said he’s entire persona is based on Ozzy and Yul… uhg.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Couldn’t disagree more, I’m here for the personal stories and all that Jazz. The fact Survivor genuinely takes itself and it’s contestants seriously is why this show is so much better and different from any other reality tv imo. If they didn’t, like they didn’t the last few years and just made it all about the game, the show is empty. The human element is what I love about the show! Survivor is more important to people than you think in this regard.

I think Surivvor knocked out of the PARK last night. The 2nd vote I think was all to distract the eliminated player from playing their shot in the dark, especially once they turned to Shan and said they were worried, all the theatrics were done then to keep her from feeling like she was going home.

I think the best thing about Survivor, is there is A LOT in the show. Plenty for people to enjoy at a surface level or at a die hard fan level like myself. I feel this episode, and what they’re setting up for the season, is exactly what fans have been waiting for, at least considering the direction the show began taking before.

I, freaking, LOVE IT!

Just discovered this thread. Anyway, Drag Race UK Series 3 starts today and I cannot wait after S2 was amazing. Also if you have not already, watch The Mole on Netflix. It's easily my favorite reality TV series ever.

Just discovered this thread. Anyway, Drag Race UK Series 3 starts today and I cannot wait after S2 was amazing. Also if you have not already, watch The Mole on Netflix. It's easily my favorite reality TV series ever.
I watched The Mole when it originally aired way back in the early 2000's and am incredibly confused why the show only had a few seasons as it was great.

Either way, Robyn Cass, who was the casting director for Survivor and Big Brother for about 20 years, is casting for a show called The Insider and will be filming in Australia. This new show is described as a show that includes “travel, adventure, high stakes, secrets, lies, deception, sabotage, and money.” ...which suspiciously sounds like a knockoff of The Mole, and considering they just put The Mole on Netflix, I think the show will essentially be back under a new name.

I watched The Mole when it originally aired way back in the early 2000's and am incredibly confused why the show only had a few seasons as it was great.

Either way, Robyn Cass, who was the casting director for Survivor and Big Brother for about 20 years, is casting for a show called The Insider and will be filming in Australia. This new show is described as a show that includes “travel, adventure, high stakes, secrets, lies, deception, sabotage, and money.” ...which suspiciously sounds like a knockoff of The Mole, and considering they just put The Mole on Netflix, I think the show will essentially be back under a new name.

I don’t even think it’ll be a new name, I think it’ll be The Mole. I mean if you have the series already on Netflix under that name why change it?

I don’t even think it’ll be a new name, I think it’ll be The Mole. I mean if you have the series already on Netflix under that name why change it?
The Mole isn't a Netflix Original though. It's possible they are reviving it, but wouldn't it be cheaper for them to just come up with a "new" concept (that's virtually the same thing) and not have to work with The Mole's production companies? Although it very well could be since they are paying for the rights to stream the show anyway.

The Mole isn't a Netflix Original though. It's possible they are reviving it, but wouldn't it be cheaper for them to just come up with a "new" concept (that's virtually the same thing) and not have to work with The Mole's production companies? Although it very well could be since they are paying for the rights to stream the show anyway.

The Mole is like Millionaire, it’s a concept they license from another company who originally created it (Mole is Belgian in origins vs Millionaire being British). So the format and such will be licensed from them not the USA makers (Stone Stanley/Stone Co). So with that I see the show continuing the name The Mole while the show was cast under another name to not draw attention.

The Mole is like Millionaire, it’s a concept they license from another company who originally created it (Mole is Belgian in origins vs Millionaire being British). So the format and such will be licensed from them not the USA makers (Stone Stanley/Stone Co). So with that I see the show continuing the name The Mole while the show was cast under another name to not draw attention.
True, it was probably just a code name.

Couldn’t disagree more, I’m here for the personal stories and all that Jazz. The fact Survivor genuinely takes itself and it’s contestants seriously is why this show is so much better and different from any other reality tv imo. If they didn’t, like they didn’t the last few years and just made it all about the game, the show is empty. The human element is what I love about the show! Survivor is more important to people than you think in this regard.

I think Surivvor knocked out of the PARK last night. The 2nd vote I think was all to distract the eliminated player from playing their shot in the dark, especially once they turned to Shan and said they were worried, all the theatrics were done then to keep her from feeling like she was going home.

I think the best thing about Survivor, is there is A LOT in the show. Plenty for people to enjoy at a surface level or at a die hard fan level like myself. I feel this episode, and what they’re setting up for the season, is exactly what fans have been waiting for, at least considering the direction the show began taking before.

I, freaking, LOVE IT!
That’s fine for you, but I watch Survivor for the gameplay, strategy, and social interactions. Not the players themselves. My least favorite episode of *any* reality TV show is the family visit because I just don’t care and view it as a waste of time.

You view this first episode as the show taking itself seriously, when I viewed it as over evaluating its importance. They spent the first ten minutes talking about the SHOW—not the game. Whenever Jeff can, he comments on the “cultural impact” or the “dynamics” of the SHOW. I don’t want to see that. I don’t watch Jeopardy to watch 20 minutes of the hosts interviewing the players about why they’re playing and clips from previous seasons. I want to watch GAME.

Compare that to The Challenge, where after a player got booted for fighting, Devin says, “He’s not dead. We’re playing a game for a million dollars. Let’s play.” That’s taking the GAME seriously.

For a few years, Survivor casting would cast a large percentage of people who didn’t apply. They cast people off the street who never played before. It was disappointing from a “auditioning fan” perspective, but I think it was a better game. Most of them were only there to win. They didn’t have such a “Just happy to be here, Jeff” attitude. The current vibe is just very canned and fake to me, like they’re over-correcting to say, “See! These people are fans like you!”

I auditioned for the show for 9 straight years. The last few seasons of such hyper over-exuberance from the production have made me not want to be on the show anymore. You can see the directions from the sidelines throughout. I’m not into it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nick
That’s fine for you, but I watch Survivor for the gameplay, strategy, and social interactions. Not the players themselves. My least favorite episode of *any* reality TV show is the family visit because I just don’t care and view it as a waste of time.

You view this first episode as the show taking itself seriously, when I viewed it as over evaluating its importance. They spent the first ten minutes talking about the SHOW—not the game. Whenever Jeff can, he comments on the “cultural impact” or the “dynamics” of the SHOW. I don’t want to see that. I don’t watch Jeopardy to watch 20 minutes of the hosts interviewing the players about why they’re playing and clips from previous seasons. I want to watch GAME.

Compare that to The Challenge, where after a player got booted for fighting, Devin says, “He’s not dead. We’re playing a game for a million dollars. Let’s play.” That’s taking the GAME seriously.

For a few years, Survivor casting would cast a large percentage of people who didn’t apply. They cast people off the street who never played before. It was disappointing from a “auditioning fan” perspective, but I think it was a better game. Most of them were only there to win. They didn’t have such a “Just happy to be here, Jeff” attitude. The current vibe is just very canned and fake to me, like they’re over-correcting to say, “See! These people are fans like you!”

I auditioned for the show for 9 straight years. The last few seasons of such hyper over-exuberance from the production have made me not want to be on the show anymore. You can see the directions from the sidelines throughout. I’m not into it.
I just disagree, everyone currently playing is there to win.

I just think Survivor is different from those shows for all the reasons you don’t enjoy it. Too each their own.