General Reality TV Thread | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

General Reality TV Thread

Legacy

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2015
International Survivor > US Survivor

And Challenge USA was bad. I wouldn’t put it as the worse season (seasons with some cringe/uncomfortable social moments PLUS mediocre challenges are worse for me… Battle of the Seasons is awful and Bloodlines 1 is pretty boring). But it’s pretty obvious that both production had its thumb on the scale and some of these players had NO idea what to expect.

They actually had an opportunity to introduce Challenge favorites to a broader audience, representing the Challenge extremely well with players who know the game. They went the gauche route with a bunch of rookies and it bit them in the ass. No one looked good as a result, save Danny and Desi.

Reactions: Nick

Nick

Staff member
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
International Survivor > US Survivor

And Challenge USA was bad. I wouldn’t put it as the worse season (seasons with some cringe/uncomfortable social moments PLUS mediocre challenges are worse for me… Battle of the Seasons is awful and Bloodlines 1 is pretty boring). But it’s pretty obvious that both production had its thumb on the scale and some of these players had NO idea what to expect.

They actually had an opportunity to introduce Challenge favorites to a broader audience, representing the Challenge extremely well with players who know the game. They went the gauche route with a bunch of rookies and it bit them in the ass. No one looked good as a result, save Danny and Desi.
Yup, could you imagine the group they could’ve gotten if they just would’ve went the obvious way? Plus the baked in rivalries would’ve been there!

I don’t have a full roster, but Mark Long, CT, Bananas, Wes, Darrell, Devin, Kaycee, Nani, Tori, Laurel, Amber, etc. Then other people just for drama.

Legacy

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2015
Yup, could you imagine the group they could’ve gotten if they just would’ve went the obvious way? Plus the baked in rivalries would’ve been there!

I don’t have a full roster, but Mark Long, CT, Bananas, Wes, Darrell, Devin, Kaycee, Nani, Tori, Laurel, Amber, etc. Then other people just for drama.
Just bringing in CT, Darrel, Tori, and Nany (MAYBE Ashley/Jenny in place of Tori/Nany since they’ve won). Those four are safe, entertaining, competent competitors who don’t have so much baggage they would turn off new watchers. Leave the rest of the CBS rookies as is. You’d have a much better show.

Or bring in Never-Wins: Nelson, Cory, Aneesa, Nany.

Just… anyone who is a “pure” Challenger (sourced from an MTV show) to elevate the quality. It could have saved the back half of the season.

Nick

Staff member
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Just bringing in CT, Darrel, Tori, and Nany (MAYBE Ashley/Jenny in place of Tori/Nany since they’ve won). Those four are safe, entertaining, competent competitors who don’t have so much baggage they would turn off new watchers. Leave the rest of the CBS rookies as is. You’d have a much better show.

Or bring in Never-Wins: Nelson, Cory, Aneesa, Nany.

Just… anyone who is a “pure” Challenger (sourced from an MTV show) to elevate the quality. It could have saved the back half of the season.
I totally agree that that could've worked well too. I didn't actively hate this season. Tyson and Angela were beasts, but would they have been on a normal Challenge season? Eh. Tyson quit (although he didn't know how to do Sudoku and the directions were very vague just saying "Complete the pattern", so i'm not sure what he was supposed to do. Angela i'm 100% sure could hold up against MTV Challengers. I think she just thought what she was doing was the smartest thing for her and I kinda agree since the rules were all over the place and she got DQ'd.

But just bringing in 4-6 MTV Challengers would've forced everyone else to up their game, even the people who did best on this season. Enzo surely wouldn't have made it to the final and the Final gets run in a more professional fashion because you'd have a lot of people running it that, especially if you brought in people who've never won, really want it and know what it takes.

EDIT: On the point of baggage though... Anyone who has watched pretty much all of The Challenge seasons will be able to bring up CT's ummm... incident and forced his three season disappearance from the cast (essentially four when you consider he was ejected from the show on Episode 1). Obviously the past is the past and that's why The Challenge is much more strict with alcohol consumption now because things used to get ridiculous before. I don't see MTV fans making a fuss about that, but you introduce him to 1-2M new viewers and someone is probably gonna dig up that past and make it a big deal 15 years years or so later.

Last edited: