General Reality TV Thread | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

General Reality TV Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm kinda surprised that The Mole hasn't been brought back sooner given that broadcast TV has been looking for cheap reality TV programming during the summers. ABC always seems to be scrambling for this type of stuff - look at their new show "Claim To Fame" which is sort of like a mix of Big Brother and The Mole. Add onto that the rise in streaming services and it's kinda crazy that it took 14 years for the show to come back, especially when it was one of the reality shows popularized during the early aughties reality boom.

Reactions: Cup_Of_Coffee
I'm kinda surprised that The Mole hasn't been brought back sooner given that broadcast TV has been looking for cheap reality TV programming during the summers. ABC always seems to be scrambling for this type of stuff - look at their new show "Claim To Fame" which is sort of like a mix of Big Brother and The Mole. Add onto that the rise in streaming services and it's kinda crazy that it took 14 years for the show to come back, especially when it was one of the reality shows popularized during the early aughties reality boom.

I think there are some reasons why: the show was assumed to be too "cerebral", the rights holders stopped promoting the format as much, etc. I did see on twitter that this was the fourth attempt to bring The Mole back, including one that would have been on Facebook Watch. I hope they pull from the aesthetics and style of the currently running Dutch and German versions.

Claim To Fame is really great btw.

Survivor has some seasons on Netflix also, I bet they try and grab that audience as well. Airing in the fall when new survivor is on and DWTS is on D+, The Mole isn’t a bad idea to counteroffer for the reality TV crowd. I’m hyped

I hope this is in reference to The Challenge USA, watching this afternoon during my lunch break. I can’t wait!
Nope. It’s a show from the UK called “Killer Camp.” It’s basically the party game “Murder,” where a group has to figure out who is killing them off one-by-one, under the veneer of a 1980s horror movie. They stage absolutely absurd kills for the murders and the host (Counselor Bobby) is unhinged. It’s amazing.

The first season was on CW and the second season is now on Hulu. The first season was dumb, but the killer was way too obvious (to everyone). This second season is way better.

The production on Challenge USA was absolutely terrible for the final. That’s literally the first time in Challenge history that so many people have quit/been DQ’d in the final and that wasn’t nearly close to the hardest final they’ve ever done.

Guess that’s what happens when you run a show with all rookies. I’ll never understand why they didn’t Bring David back for the final to even out the numbers though because they HAVE done that in the past and by not doing it this time, it put the women at a big disadvantage when they had to go solo.

Thankfully the MTV version is coming back next month and Bananas is making his return so hopefully it’ll be a good season. Can’t wait for The Mole, either.

The production on Challenge USA was absolutely terrible for the final. That’s literally the first time in Challenge history that so many people have quit/been DQ’d in the final and that wasn’t nearly close to the hardest final they’ve ever done.

Guess that’s what happens when you run a show with all rookies. I’ll never understand why they didn’t Bring David back for the final to even out the numbers though because they HAVE done that in the past and by not doing it this time, it put the women at a big disadvantage when they had to go solo.

Thankfully the MTV version is coming back next month and Bananas is making his return so hopefully it’ll be a good season. Can’t wait for The Mole, either.
Challenge USA turned me off on The Challenge overall, they f’d big time.

Reactions: Nick
In 40+ seasons of The Challenge (including the All Star seasons), there's never been a worse season. I'd personally recommend you give the MTV version a chance, but I can understand why you'd be turned off from having watched the CBS version.

The Challenge is known for fluidity, which normally makes it fun because you don't know what to expect from season to season, but this was just crazy what happened in the Final. Desi done dirty because Enzo sucks. Ben couldn't even compete and they didn't replace him. Worst of all, the lack of consistency when calling that someone "Timed Out" (like with Justine and Cayla) or doing what they did to Angela and call hers a quit.

Then there's the issue of the sudoku. The rules simply stated "finish the pattern". So if you knew how to do Sudoku (Like Danny), you were good. But there was a lot of people that had no idea what they were doing and production wouldn't tell them the rules of sudoku. I'm also skeptical on Sarah's win. Supposedly, she timed out on the puzzle she was struggling on and just hung on long enough to be the last female standing. They needed a female winner (to move on in the challenge global championships), so she was it at that point. Notice that they never showed her sudoku board before they sent her up the mountain.

I didn't even bother watching it but the drama around it is shocking. It's the Fyre Festival of reality tv shows.

I didn't even bother watching it but the drama around it is shocking. It's the Fyre Festival of reality tv shows.

Danny was apparently pissed about that, but if you’ve watched any of the Challenge before, they always say “this is a game for $1 million” (or in this case $500,000) and the male and female always split it. Most interviews I’ve heard say the players were aware that was a possibility.

That said, it was a dumpster fire of a finale.

It was just so poorly done from a production standpoint fron a show that’s been around forever, it’s just shocking how deeply bad it was. Unfortunate.

Reactions: Nick
Also fyi, Survivor 43, Amazing Race 34, and Masked Singer all begin tonight!
For some reason even though I always watch Big Brother, I stopped watching Survivor years ago. Gonna try this year, haven't even given it a shot in a long, long while. I think you have to go back to the aughts to find a time when I watched it. I do like Amazing Race normally so i'll be watching both. Nice to see that TAR has been put back on a regular schedule and will have Survivor as a lead in.

For some reason even though I always watch Big Brother, I stopped watching Survivor years ago. Gonna try this year, haven't even given it a shot in a long, long while. I think you have to go back to the aughts to find a time when I watched it. I do like Amazing Race normally so i'll be watching both. Nice to see that TAR has been put back on a regular schedule and will have Survivor as a lead in.
New survivor is always great, even if there’s a lot of twists. Bit different post Covid but last season was possible a top 10 of all time. I def recommend and if you want suggestions on past seasons hit up my DM’s Nick!

Amazing Race is always comfort tv, cast seems fantastic this year and includes Derek and Claire from BB23, should be good.

New survivor is always great, even if there’s a lot of twists. Bit different post Covid but last season was possible a top 10 of all time. I def recommend and if you want suggestions on past seasons hit up my DM’s Nick!

Amazing Race is always comfort tv, cast seems fantastic this year and includes Derek and Claire from BB23, should be good.
Yeah if you want to suggest some Survivor seasons, go ahead and shoot in my DMs! I have Paramount+ so am constantly watching different seasons of reality shows. As a matter of fact, I just finished possibily one of my favorite seasons of Big Brother ever last night in BB Can 5. Planning on going and watch The Challenge: All Stars 3 next, but I can put some Survivor in my queue!