Halloween Horror Nights 2022 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 44 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2022 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My hopes may be too high, but I want to see the Hotel of Horror become the basis for HHN Hollywood specific lore. It's already got a very elaborate backstory
I know Murdy has a bit of a distaste for icons, but a maze like this would probably lend pretty well into some kind of old-hollywood icon character, which I've always thought would be a pretty clean fit for Hollywood just as a park. I can dream I guess.

Honestly, I'm surprised that Killer Klowns didn't drop at MSS today due to the Chiodo Bros being there today only. Not to mention the familiar circus tent facade has been uncovered/exposed.

So the fact that an original was announced was completely unexpected.

Not just an announcement, but a teasing of both Hotel of Horrors and I'm betting the Mesoamerica/Mexican based tease at the very end is also La Llorona based.

This genuinely was a panel where the originals got shined bright, even Monsters counts to this in an extent.

Last edited:
I'm sad. I had COVID so I couldn't go and my Gold Bat pass went to waste.

I'm cautiously optimistic that this year may be a contender for best year in recent memory, though! Even importing something like Scarecrow is an excellent choice.

I’m still not a fan of Murdy originals. I don’t think it’s a strength of his or the Hollywood event, in general. (I’m in the minority here, but so it goes.) That said, I understand the nature of IP. It’s super unrealistic to expect fresh marquee horror properties (or even the more niche ones) to come to HHN year in and year out.

Plus, as a creative person, Murdy is probably super excited to work within his own imagination and not someone else’s. Hopefully that draws out some extra flavor from these original houses, because I’ll be super disappointed if it’s just a bunch of Pandora’s Box-level phone-ins.

I’m still not a fan of Murdy originals. I don’t think it’s a strength of his or the Hollywood event, in general. (I’m in the minority here, but so it goes.) That said, I understand the nature of IP. It’s super unrealistic to expect fresh marquee horror properties (or even the more niche ones) to come to HHN year in and year out.

Plus, as a creative person, Murdy is probably super excited to work within his own imagination and not someone else’s. Hopefully that draws out some extra flavor from these original houses, because I’ll be super disappointed if it’s just a bunch of Pandora’s Box-level phone-ins.
I understand, but I will take an original anyway over another Saw. Hopefully there won’t be a ton of black walls in the houses.

Reactions: Wesker69

These mazes should be much better than Pandora’s Box in terms of scenic and costumes.

I’ll be super disappointed if it’s just a bunch of Pandora’s Box-level phone-ins
Pandora's Box gets way too much crap when in reality it was very underrated. Has Hollywood's event seen a lot of the scare tactics & other stuff in other mazes from previous years? Sure. But even those that have attended Orlando's event long enough see the same thing (though most will deny it). Recycled sets & props? So what, it worked cohesively. Was the maze perfect? No. But it was one of the stronger ones in 2019

Murdy & crew can give great original content, Urban Legends count as originals. Hell, 2016's FvsJ was technically an IP original & one of the best mazes. Hollywood doing originals is fine because unlike Knotts/Fright Fest, they only stick around for one year (2021 being the lazy exception due to the apocalypse)

I don't see this year being the break-through redeeming event year that brings the event back to 2016's hype, but it'll be close. Halloween & Killer Klowns (if also straight up repeat) are the weak links in the line-up, despite being good mazes.

Hotel Deville should be great, but I'm curious if they'll reuse anything from AHS Hotel.

Last year was my first visit, and I enjoyed Pandora's Box. I liked that it had a bright and vibrant color scheme, a great contrast to the dark and dreary visual style elsewhere.

There's only so many places to put boo holes, but there are many different set and costume design choices. This year we're getting whimsical with KK, urban with Weeknd, and classic Hollywood with the hotel. That’s great variety already imo

Reactions: Freak and Wesker69

Tbh, as much as Pandora's Box didn't lend to the promise the title suggested in terms of its ties to greek myths, Murdy honestly seems to be pretty comfortable when it comes to original content with specific historical ties, especially within 20th century America. It's very much a "write what you know" kind of situation, and he definitely seems familiar with the era. Even as a replacement maze, I have high hopes for this. Based on the amount of backstory and detail in those newspaper pages alone, this seems like something he's pretty passionate about.

Yeah this has the feeling of something Murdy's been thinking about for a long, long time and got an opening to do when Evil Dead got taken out. Very intrigued by it, hope they can sell the 1920s aesthetic and opulence.

Could be seen as "The Shining 2: doing it right this time"

Status
Not open for further replies.