Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 47 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 2023 (USH) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think even Murdy made fun of the Demon Slayer rumor.
lol

Yeah, it would be too cool for it to be a HHN.

If I had one complaint about the events it is many times the same old themes. I'd love more video games and animes, things we have not seen before.
Last of Us is a great pick and feel like that mazes gets excitement because its a solid IP and something new and different

Yeah, everyone has their niche interests that they'd love to see come to the event I guess. I'd love to see more true horror as opposed to horror adjacent, but I still get excited for all of it. It does feel like every year it gets a little closer to being mostly a marketing vehicle for Universal/Peacock though...it would be nice if the prices reflected that.

Reactions: chris.g
Murdy needs to break out of his shell and go for arthouse horror. Twin Peaks is begging, screaming, crying for an adaptation. Don’t know why Murdy was against it when it’s material is right up his alley and ripe for a house

I don't think the market is really there for arthouse horror - these films are popular in film circles and on Twitter but rarely make a dent amongst the general public outside of out-of-context memes. They also don't really translate to haunted houses very well.

Twin Peaks is probably an exception - there's a way to do it, though it'd be tricky. And yeah, Twin Peaks is popular enough (or at least recognizable enough) to be a draw, and there's tons of merchandising opportunities. But I think that's an IP that only gets used if one or both coasts is super invested in doing it (i.e. an American Werewolf in London or Cabin in the Woods), and I don't see that interest right now.

Murdy needs to break out of his shell and go for arthouse horror. Twin Peaks is begging, screaming, crying for an adaptation. Don’t know why Murdy was against it when it’s material is right up his alley and ripe for a house
Is it really up to one person which mazes come?

I assume the reason we get many of the mazes is because the higher ups want to push certain IPs

Reactions: StopMakingSense
Is it really up to one person which mazes come?

I assume the reason we get many of the mazes is because the higher ups want to push certain IPs
I think, in addition, they’re more risk averse when it comes to green lighting less ubiquitous IPs. I totally understand that! but I don’t think it is so much creative resistance as it is executive skepticism.

I think, in addition, they’re more risk averse when it comes to green lighting less ubiquitous IPs. I totally understand that! but I don’t think it is so much creative resistance as it is executive skepticism.
I'd love to hear the process

Because you have events like Knotts where people just go and I felt that's why most go to HHN as well, like I'm pretty sure 75+percent of people just show up no matter the IP

If you had Demon Slayer would people really not go on it if it was a good maze because its based on an anime? I doubt it, if it gets good reviews then people go on it.
I feel like you only need "one" big draw IP to make sure more events are sold out but they have that with Last of Us.

But we all know rights and other politics must be taking place otherwise we'd know a Scream maze is coming because hands down that will be the biggest horror film of the year.

If you had Demon Slayer would people really not go on it if it was a good maze because its based on an anime? I doubt it, if it gets good reviews then people go on it.
I feel like you only need "one" big draw IP to make sure more events are sold out but they have that with Last of Us.
I think a lot of this comes back to something that's very normal in late-stage capitalism: there's no such thing as "enough." they can never make "enough" money or have "enough" crowd-driving IPs or "enough" ways to further monetize their product. other factors, like budget and licensing availability, may limit what they can put together in a single event, but I don't think (and could be wrong!) they consider diminishing returns. at least, not very much.

edit: I'll add that it's not just how many people will show up to an event, it's what kind of people will show up based on the popularity or reach of certain properties. they want as favorable a mix as possible, which means more people who are willing and able to open their wallets for upcharge experiences, alcohol and merch.

Reactions: StopMakingSense
I think a lot of this comes back to something that's very normal in late-stage capitalism: there's no such thing as "enough." they can never make "enough" money or have "enough" crowd-driving IPs or "enough" ways to further monetize their product. other factors, like budget and licensing availability, may limit what they can put together in a single event, but I don't think (and could be wrong!) they consider diminishing returns. at least, not very much.

edit: I'll add that it's not just how many people will show up to an event, it's what kind of people will show up based on the popularity or reach of certain properties. they want as favorable a mix as possible, which means more people who are willing and able to open their wallets for upcharge experiences, alcohol and merch.
It becomes a hard numbers game then because for example Demon Slayer film made 500 million dollars and most theaters like Anime films because those fans buy soda/popcorn.

I know they don't want to spend money but if they made a Demon Slayer cart with items for the I{, they'd sell a shot ton more then they did with the very limited Nope Merch they made.

It's why I'd love to see the process because from how I see it they try to have like One Big IP a year, Ghostbusters, Stranger Things, Last of Us.....etc and then fill the rest of the event with mazes that high light the IPs they want like Black Phone, Nope etc last year. They throw a bone to creative people and let them make a maze or two that are original because they don't have to pay an royalties and the Hotel from last year only happened because another IP is rumored to fall out and they needed something so made an Original IP

Because if USH wanted all nights to sell out and make more on merch they'd have be trying to hit more Demo's

Demon Slayer - Anime
Last of Us - Video games/TV (doesn't matter if its not based on the show people from the show are going to want to see this maze)
Scream - Biggest horror film of the year
Chucky/Megan - Controversial, I'm sure but I feel like its a waste not to just have both in one maze.
Resident Evil 4 - Sold very well and RE is a very hot IP
Stranger Things - Last season was huge and had a perfect monster for the event

But......that's not the event we are getting. Which is what leads me to think for the most part its about selling there own I{ and making the event cost as cheap as possible because most fans will show up whether or not their favorite IP is there or not.

Yeah, everyone has their niche interests that they'd love to see come to the event I guess. I'd love to see more true horror as opposed to horror adjacent, but I still get excited for all of it. It does feel like every year it gets a little closer to being mostly a marketing vehicle for Universal/Peacock though...it would be nice if the prices reflected that.
What’s your list for true horror?

It's why I'd love to see the process because from how I see it they try to have like One Big IP a year, Ghostbusters, Stranger Things, Last of Us.....etc and then fill the rest of the event with mazes that high light the IPs they want like Black Phone, Nope etc last year.
They straight up don't even need Stranger Things this year. TLOU will literally carry the event. I've been checking the announcement video on Twitter and Instagram and the likes have already surpassed The Weeknd from last year.

I want them to hold off with Stranger Things until next year, so that when Season 5 drops in 2025, we get back-to-back ST houses. Season 4 in 2024 and Season 5 in 2025.

They straight up don't even need Stranger Things this year. TLOU will literally carry the event. I've been checking the announcement video on Twitter and Instagram and the likes have already surpassed The Weeknd from last year.

I want them to hold off with Stranger Things until next year, so that when Season 5 drops in 2025, we get back-to-back ST houses. Season 4 in 2024 and Season 5 in 2025.
Last of Us will for sure carry the event

Which is why my theory of them going after one big IP and the rest are done to market what they want.

But I'm an enthusiast not a penny pincher and would love to see them do more then this.

Reactions: Crypt Keeper
Did no one else mention that the 2p tickets are the only ones with SNW access?

Normal HHN tickets don’t include SNW access after 7p, the 2p Ones do from 7p-10p

GA Tickets:
  • Daytime admission to the Park is not included. Access to SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™ during Halloween Horror Nights event is not included.

After 2p tickets:
  • Ticket valid for one (1) After 2:00 p.m. Daytime General Admission to the Park, and same-day evening General Admission to Halloween Horror Nights event. Ticket includes same-day access to SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™ from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (subject to change) plus early event access to select haunted houses starting at 5:30 p.m. (subject to change). Depending on crowd conditions, Virtual Line reservations may be required to enter SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™.
Edit:

So if you’re really rolling in it and want everything it seems like the best option is to lean into the pay to play and just get the “After 2p Day/Night” ticket and get the latest RIP tour

SNW for D/N (both tiers), Express (both tiers), and RIP. Otherwise, gonna have to buy a day ticket.

Did no one else mention that the 2p tickets are the only ones with SNW access?

Normal HHN tickets don’t include SNW access after 7p, the 2p Ones do from 7p-10p

GA Tickets:
  • Daytime admission to the Park is not included. Access to SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™ during Halloween Horror Nights event is not included.

After 2p tickets:
  • Ticket valid for one (1) After 2:00 p.m. Daytime General Admission to the Park, and same-day evening General Admission to Halloween Horror Nights event. Ticket includes same-day access to SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™ from 7:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. (subject to change) plus early event access to select haunted houses starting at 5:30 p.m. (subject to change). Depending on crowd conditions, Virtual Line reservations may be required to enter SUPER NINTENDO WORLD™.
yeah, it was mentioned a few pages ago. wild! I hope a lot of people spend those first few hours in SNW instead of clogging up maze lines.

yeah, it was mentioned a few pages ago. wild! I hope a lot of people spend those first few hours in SNW instead of clogging up maze lines.
I’m considering it, this’ll likely be my only visit out to USH for the foreseeable future so it seems like it might be a good way to knock most things out all at once.

Is the daytime studio tour running while they have terror tram up?

I’m considering it, this’ll likely be my only visit out to USH for the foreseeable future so it seems like it might be a good way to knock most things out all at once.

Is the daytime studio tour running while they have terror tram up?
The Tram runs every day

Reactions: Grabnar
Status
Not open for further replies.