Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion | Page 98 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I also have a question for anyone that might know. Is Universal paying to use the IP's, is it just a mutual usage for both parties, or does universal get some money from the IP to put into the house? I guess it might be different for internal or external IP's.

I also have a question for anyone that might know. Is Universal paying to use the IP's, is it just a mutual usage for both parties, or does universal get some money from the IP to put into the house? I guess it might be different for internal or external IP's.

It depends on the IP. But normally how it would work is that they would pay licensing fees for any IP that they use as a house, scare zone, merchandise, etc. for HHN in a particular year.

For internal IPs such as Dracula Untold, it would be a like-kind exchange as far as cross-marketing/advertising efforts between departments.

If I remember correctly Uni is the one that pays. I remember in 2007 when that was talked about on another site, Uni pays to have all these ip houses. they pay the other studios

what I wonder about is how does the merchandise works "like the walking dead"? do both split the profit? does Uni keep all the profits since they paid for the rights?

If I remember correctly Uni is the one that pays. I remember in 2007 when that was talked about on another site, Uni pays to have all these ip houses. they pay the other studios

what I wonder about is how does the merchandise works "like the walking dead"? do both split the profit? does Uni keep all the profits since they paid for the rights?

It mostly depends, like has been said. Because TWD is sold year-round at Universal, I would imagine they have a much more stable deal than stuff like Halloween and FDTD. With Walking Dead (from my understanding), Universal has an agreement with AMC in which they pay for the merch, then keep the profits from what they sold. The benefit for AMC is that they get exposure in a widely-used outlet, as well as the licensing fees, while Universal gets to make money off of merch they wouldnt be able to sell otherwise.

For one-time IP right-purchases, like Halloween, I would assme that there are stipulations in the contract that allow for certain creative freedom in the house, how the IP can be promoted, and agreement to sell x amount of merchandise (Universal probably wouldnt buy the rights to an IP that didnt include merchandising opportunities). The trade-off between purchasing the rights, and then the ability to sell exclusive items is what benefits Universal.

It is going to have to become 2 parks sooner than later. They can easily set it up to keep people out of Hogsmeade and Seuss. The only issue is Marvel as I'm not sure if Disney can block them from having scarezones or building a house in there. Obviously a Marvel themed house like Maximum Carnage is out of the picture, but I'd hope they could use the Spider-Man queue area for a house and possibly use the island for a scarezone that isn't Marvel related.

Well I think orlando and Hollywood split the bill for their shared properties. As for exclusive IPs I think that all has to do with their connections. Halloween was apparently supposed to be a house in 2009 yet it kept getting delayed for one reason or another. Feel like there are a ton like Halloween just waiting to pop out in the next couple years

All I can say is that the sheer number of people in the Park and the wait times seemed to indicate some success. Even better is that I didn't hear anything but good form anyone in the lines or the buses about the houses. No complaining... no one saying "that sucked," etc. In my opinion, I count that as success. Even if it isn't to Universal's expectations, it will be when the word of mouth begins to spread. The bad mouthing I heard about the line length will hurt them, though. But I'm a newbie to HHN, so what do I know.... :-/

Weeell everyone complains and then goes back the next year and dosen't get express..welcome to the theme park industry...I think everyone (scared or not) has enjoyed the event much more this year than the last two...I agree with you..Hopefully the event will continue to grow into new territory (ninth house, IOA, etc)..

Hopefully the giant success will lead to a ninth house
yaasss

After the event is over I'm going to post an in depth theory on how a major expansion to HHN could happen. Note it will just be guess work on my end and very opionated points of what would work and what wouldn't.

Can't wait to hear it hate. It's such a tough situation and I need to hear a good explanation on how to fix it. The thing is I'm not expecting a 9th house because it's kind of ridiculous budget wise and creatively. Although I wouldn't put it past uni to make their 25th year their largest so whatever works

- - - Updated - - -

House reservation system :lol:

:jaw: :bolt:

Can't wait to hear it hate. It's such a tough situation and I need to hear a good explanation on how to fix it. The thing is I'm not expecting a 9th house because it's kind of ridiculous budget wise and creatively. Although I wouldn't put it past uni to make their 25th year their largest so whatever works

I am not sure why people think there would be a budget issue with a 9th house. TWD is essentially two houses, so split that sound stage in half and create an original house on one side and an IP on the other. Or do two originals. The only additional cost I see is R&D for the storyline.

While I think Universal *could* do a 9th house, that really does nothing to benefit them...it would just be a way for them to keep people in more lines and away from the shops and bars and games. Sure, the 9 houses, theoretically, would each have shorter lines, but you would probably end up waiting in lines for the same amount of time total. I think the most effective course of action to help overcrowding would be to simply raise ticket prices. If I could afford to go multiple times in middle school, then the event is probably too cheap. It would suck for some people, but as of now if you go peak season youre not going to get your money's worth and yet people are still going. A little extra cost to weed out a lot of the crowds, but also give the event a better sense of value and keep guests in line less and out drinking/buying more. I for one would gladly pay more money if it meant not having to worry about getting more than 2 houses done in a given night.

Also, while they could fit a ninth house in another soundstage or maybe the second half of the parade building, I have no idea where they would fit a ninth queue line in either of those locations...not to mention it would create an entrance overload in either KidZone or Production Central lol.

I am not sure why people think there would be a budget issue with a 9th house. TWD is essentially two houses, so split that sound stage in half and create an original house on one side and an IP on the other. Or do two originals. The only additional cost I see is R&D for the storyline.
Well the walking dead is a different case, a ton of it was reused (costumes, prison set ect). That's the only reason why I think the mega house was created in the first place. Creating another house would have to be another house, completely different from the one next to it. I know this is a terrible thing to say especially with horror night's solid track record all these years but would it be too out there to reuse a house from the past year or create an annual house that will be there for years to come like a monthly HOH?

Well the walking dead is a different case, a ton of it was reused (costumes, prison set ect). That's the only reason why I think the mega house was created in the first place. Creating another house would have to be another house, completely different from the one next to it. I know this is a terrible thing to say especially with horror night's solid track record all these years but would it be too out there to reuse a house from the past year or create an annual house that will be there for years to come like a monthly HOH?

To be fair, many houses have reused costumes, sets, props. They're just re-purposed if it's different from the original use.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts Hate. This problem of the popularity growing for this event. Has been on my mind. Nine houses would be nice but ask your self this question while your in their shoes. Will adding the house add more money or take away more. They never discuss budget. So I'm assuming based on regular haunts. It's huge (over millions) to put the event on. Per house....you got me.

2 park or part of both parks. Sounds good in thought. I just don't see it working. The average person complains about walking around Uni just think walking to the other park. Let along wait times, think walking all the way over to JP. Just to see the wait time is off and it's an extra 30mins. An extra 2 zones, another show and maybe a stage arrival show. The rides them self are not helping at all. I'm just running out of ideas.

An easy fix would be the addition of Horror tracks to Rockit during HHN. It would make the attraction more desirable to "must-do" during the event.