Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 167 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 32 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can somebody smarter than me tell me how it would be harder for them to license master of puppets in a proposed ST house than it was to use it in the dance troop that shall not be named show a couple years ago?

Can somebody smarter than me tell me how it would be harder for them to license master of puppets in a proposed ST house than it was to use it in the dance troop that shall not be named show a couple years ago?
Two things.

1 - There's much more focus on that particular song than there was a few years ago, thanks to ST. So, the price may have gone up significantly, and more controls may have been put around the song by the rights holders.

2 - Context. The central focus point on a scene that everyone wants to see in a house vs 30 seconds of use in a dance show are very different situations.

They probably also want to use in the park wide loop and water show (if there is one). It may even be used in Nightmare Fuel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Two things.

1 - There's much more focus on that particular song than there was a few years ago, thanks to ST. So, the price may have gone up significantly, and more controls may have been put around the song by the rights holders.

2 - Context. The central focus point on a scene that everyone wants to see in a house vs 30 seconds of use in a dance show are very different situations.
Not my expertise, but number of plays probably a factor as well. Played 5x a night as part of the show. Played roughly 64x in a night if used in a house.

Plus, as you alluded to, there's not really a back-up option, and Metallica's agent knows that.

Two things.

They probably also want to use in the park wide loop and water show (if there is one). It may even be used in Nightmare Fuel ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Makes sense. Thanks.

My wife is really not a metallica fan (I am) and she has already complained about how much they pop up in HHN playlists (28 and 29 mostly i think) so I hope this all happens just to see her reaction.

What makes you say that?
Several things, but I’m skeptical that Universal benefits significantly by releasing house information so late - film trailers, for instance, generally begin releasing 6 or 7 months prior to the film’s opening, and choosing to see a film is generally a less involved decision then taking a vacation (as some of our international posters have pointed out). I’m also not convinced that bunching up announcements maximizes hype.

But hey, the event keeps getting bigger and bigger, so what do I know. It just seems weird that the bigger the event gets, the more marketing seems to treat it like the audience is local.

Reactions: Ahmanet and Alsands
Several things, but I’m skeptical that Universal benefits significantly by releasing house information so late - film trailers, for instance, generally begin releasing 6 or 7 months prior to the film’s opening, and choosing to see a film is generally a less involved decision then taking a vacation (as some of our international posters have pointed out). I’m also not convinced that bunching up announcements maximizes hype.

But hey, the event keeps getting bigger and bigger, so what do I know. It just seems weird that the bigger the event gets, the more marketing seems to treat it like the audience is local.
I think the general public buys their tickets closer to the event. July/August/September and even October. If they wait to release these big IPs closer to when they buy tickets, it causes a bigger influx of ticket sales around that time.

The only people buying tickets this early are people who would go to the event no matter what.

Bigger IPs attract the general public.

This doesn’t affect the houses being built or merchandise planned.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeventyOne
I think the general public buys their tickets closer to the event. July/August/September and even October. If they wait to release these big IPs closer to when they buy tickets, it causes a bigger influx of ticket sales around that time.

The only people buying tickets this early are people who would go to the event no matter what.

Bigger IPs attract the general public. I think they may announce the Legends house in May, Last of Us is supposed to be the big headliner so they would announce that in June, and they could honestly wait to announce stranger things in July.

This doesn’t affect the houses being built or merchandise planned.
But even ignoring the very, very substantial number of people HHN attracts from around the country (and, indeed, the world) certainly buying tickets for HHN is no more spur-of-the-moment then buying tickets for a film, which generally begin building hype six months or so out. HHN also has the advantage of featuring 10 houses - even if you want to hold back something like Stranger Things until July or August, you can release info about other mazes over the course of several months. Perhaps you reveal Last of Us in early Spring, to encourage trip-planners, and then drip out originals one per month to feed the fandom (the only ones who really care about originals). I just don't see the advantage of compressing the announcements into one tight bundle relatively close to the start of the event.

But even ignoring the very, very substantial number of people HHN attracts from around the country (and, indeed, the world) certainly buying tickets for HHN is no more spur-of-the-moment then buying tickets for a film, which generally begin building hype six months or so out. HHN also has the advantage of featuring 10 houses - even if you want to hold back something like Stranger Things until July or August, you can release info about other mazes over the course of several months. Perhaps you reveal Last of Us in early Spring, to encourage trip-planners, and then drip out originals one per month to feed the fandom (the only ones who really care about originals). I just don't see the advantage of compressing the announcements into one tight bundle relatively close to the start of the event.
They normally announce a house in March/April but I think because they announced Chucky so early it took the place of that announcement.

I agree I would love for them to announce the full schedule earlier because it would make it easier for people to plan vacations. They used to announce the houses earlier and the last two years is when they started announcing the houses later on in the season. I think the marketing team just saw some value in announcing the houses later.

Last edited:
I don’t like to post things on here that I’m not absolutely sure of. I’ve heard a couple rumors about this so it may end up being true but it also be completely false so I’ll leave this warning up and maybe another poster could confirm or deny this:

The last original house that is marked demon slayer on the spec map is an original based on a Japanese urban legend. The setting is World War 1 Japan. This could be why people thought the house was based on Demon Slayer because they are based around the same time period.
Like a Nightingale type situation? Or some other creature?

Not my expertise, but number of plays probably a factor as well. Played 5x a night as part of the show. Played roughly 64x in a night if used in a house.

Plus, as you alluded to, there's not really a back-up option, and Metallica's agent knows that.

You’re forgetting how LONG Metallica songs are. Played back to back, probably played 2x over a 7 hour event. Maybe 3.

The most common comment by my son when a Metallica song comes on in the car: “We don’t have time for that.”

Status
Not open for further replies.