Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors | Page 282 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 33 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'd argue that it's less of a "value judgement" than FOMO and the cult of Disney taking over.
I am a big fan of Disney parks generally, though I am also a big horror fan, and personally would easily pick HHN over MNSSHP.

With that said, I think it is easy to see how the market for MNSSHP could be very big. While you might lose some horror fans, thrill seekers, and/or Universal loyalists, you get people with young kids who are not ready for HHN, people who are not into horror, and people who are drawn to the Disney brand (either because they are Disney loyalists or just because Disney parks do objectively have a very high level of quality).

My guess would be "no" because the average guest can still get what they want done in one night, regardless of when they come.

We, collectively, are the weirdos that consider it too crowded if we can't complete 10 houses in standby, a show, extended time in zones, and food all in 7.5 hours. The common guest considers the trip to be a success by getting through a handful of houses, buying a beer, and skimming a zone as they roam the park. When that no longer becomes feasible, Universal will have to make changes.
I'm more of a midnight weirdo to be honest. try to get as many houses from midnight to 2 am as I possibly can lol.
I can get up to 7 on a good night :lol:

I would think reaching out to them to confirm the hours would just result in a "times are subject to change" copy paste response.

I am curious to see though - if they DO actually somehow switch to a 6PM close, how would that affect stay and scream?

S&S areas may not setup until maybe 4/4:30?
Already did, same exact copy & paste response lol

I sincerely doubt UOR would push back HHN's opening unless they're planning on closing half the park early.

I'd argue that it's less of a "value judgement" than FOMO and the cult of Disney taking over.
With how absurd AP pricing is, locals have been using it as an cheaper alternative to visit the parks than committing to a $800+ AP when their kids can actually visit the parks. It costs $3,200 for a family of 4 to get WDW passes nowadays. Far cheaper to attend a party night and maybe 2-3 day ticket deal.

So hours have been up for a few weeks now.. and HHN nights are still showing as closing at 6 PM.

Wonder if this is actually happening?

This is interesting, I thought it was a typo too but maybe they're doing a rolling closing like Disney does? 8am-6pm is a MUCH better offering for day guests and keep those restaurants full.

A park that draws 2x guests, offering an add on event that has a broader reach than haunted houses, and fewer events days than HHN being more crowded doesn't sound that wild to me!

Not to go after you either, but are we back to talking about crowds being good or bad? I forget after SWGE.

Reactions: Jake S
I go around 10-15 nights and last year I got the UFF + express and I fully plan on getting it again this year. My top price for it is $1200, if it’s more than that I will seriously consider getting it or not.
I think four digits would simply be too large a psychological barrier for most people. When the cost of a single month (even though it includes express) is comparable to a yearly pass at the more expensive parks, I think that will probably turn away all but the hardest of the hardcore or completely price insensitive. I'd be very interested to see the sales numbers of their top level pass. I can't imagine they sell more than a few thousand of those at most.

Flip that, reverse it.

The fact that one night at MNSSHP (that mostly just repeats the same stuff from previous years) costs the same as an entire ROF pass is bizarre to me.
Very much this. You're doing this for one of very few things:

1. You want a better ride experience.
2. You want to meet exclusive characters/see the show.
3. You want to generate blog/vlog content.
4. You're a Disney diehard.
5. You want a lot of candy or ice cream.

Now, disregarding the last three, which are not rational or based on value (with a light exception for 3 if that's how someone makes their living), no amount of cost seems to be a deterrent.

For California Adventure, number 1 is a really bad proposition for the cost. You can easily do California Adventure in a day at a similar or lower price point since there aren't a huge number of attractions, and you'll have more time to spare (8 hours versus 14 hours), plus a lot more things will be open. Even if you combine number 2, every review I've ever read says that you can spend most of the event waiting in line to meet or get a photo with a popular character, so it would be difficult to stack 1 and 2.

Disney also essentially double dips here as California Adventure is only open until 11 PM, so logistically, they really aren't stretching themselves much and they aren't building 10 top quality houses each year. And yet this event sells out every year. I do not understand it. I know PASSHOLDERS who go three times a year. So 4 is probably the most relevant thing here.

Reactions: DannyPowers
That helps my argument. Like I said, last year with express pass (no stay and scream) we did 13 houses, Nightmare Fuel, The Mummy ride, grabbed a few snacks, and checked out the scare zones for a while, all on a Thursday. If the weekends are even slower, then they don't have much of a crowd problem.
It was the first Thursday of the event. With express, the longest I think I waited for a house was 20 minutes.
But that is with express. What were the waits without express? Because majority do not buy express and if they did express would no longer be valuable.

My guess would be "no" because the average guest can still get what they want done in one night, regardless of when they come.

We, collectively, are the weirdos that consider it too crowded if we can't complete 10 houses in standby, a show, extended time in zones, and food all in 7.5 hours. The common guest considers the trip to be a success by getting through a handful of houses, buying a beer, and skimming a zone as they roam the park. When that no longer becomes feasible, Universal will have to make changes.
I don't think this is accurate. Most people I know what to get as many houses in as they can and the shows. Most people I talk to are frustrated with the long waits for the houses and how few they get in.

The problem is always going to be lines. The #1 complaint across theme parks--nobody likes them. If you run September at capacity with $10/night tickets, word is going to spread and no one is going to risk buying an $80 ticket for a single night out of feat they won't see most of the event. The reason MNSSHP gets a premium is the lines really are manageable. You need to find that delicate balance between sticker shock and an elevated experience.

But the crowd patterns last year strongly suggest more guests saw value in the $150+ MNSSHP than HHN at any price point other than RoF. So which is truly overpriced?

I don't really see MNSSHP as a directly comparable event to HHN. There's some crossover, sure. One is really for kids, and one really isn't. In general, the majority of those going to MNSSHP aren't going to HHN.

Last edited:
Reactions: IzzyB
plus hhn offers so much more
While I agree, I think the thread missed my point. I wasn't trying to start yet another D v. U fight. I was pointing out that consumers attribute value to everything they purchase, they have a maximum amount they will pay. Right now that amount for MNSSHP is incredibly high--more than I personally can justify. Could it be higher for HHN? Without question. But apparently not a lot higher, at least until they get the crowding situation under control. That's based on observation of recorded facts (dates closed for capacity and wait line data), not my subjective opinion of the event.

To put it bluntly -- if the only option was $150 tickets, no multi-night FF, does anyone believe HHN would be crowded?

While I agree, I think the thread missed my point. I wasn't trying to start yet another D v. U fight. I was pointing out that consumers attribute value to everything they purchase, they have a maximum amount they will pay. Right now that amount for MNSSHP is incredibly high--more than I personally can justify. Could it be higher for HHN? Without question. But apparently not a lot higher, at least until they get the crowding situation under control. That's based on observation of recorded facts (dates closed for capacity and wait line data), not my subjective opinion of the event.

To put it bluntly -- if the only option was $150 tickets, no multi-night FF, does anyone believe HHN would be crowded?
oh yeah that would be over for me. I would just jump to sea world lol :lol: