HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017 | Page 106 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Hollywood General Discussion - 2017

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Who's to say John's staying for next year? In talking with him he's said it's 50-50 at this point. And in my opinion, unless a highly saught after property comes into his possession before the end of the season (IE The Exorcist) I don't think he'll stay
I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure the only reason he stayed on for 2016 was because WB approached him and Mike and told them that the rights for The Exorcist were available (Mike said that they came to him and John during the 2015 event in a podcast from 2016). And probably the same with 2017 and The Shining.
I love and admire John's work and I don't want him to go, but a change in creative will breathe new life into this event. So unless a game changing IP that he's wanted to do for years, probably IT or The Conjuring, is available for next year, I think this may be his last year

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong but didn't a person from Orlando recently join the team? I feel if John were to leave after this year I think our future events and Orlandos will share everything

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong but didn't a person from Orlando recently join the team? I feel if John were to leave after this year I think our future events and Orlandos will share everything
I never heard anything about that, so you may or may not be wrong.
I don't think we'll ever share EVERYTHING with Orlando. We share most of our IP's every year but as far as originals, I don't think we'd ever share them

I never heard anything about that, so you may or may not be wrong.
I don't think we'll ever share EVERYTHING with Orlando. We share most of our IP's every year but as far as originals, I don't think we'd ever share them

Well that's a bummer. To be fair I don't think we could share originals with them, most of theirs go into soundstage which besides 747 we don't have any. Hopefully in the next few years we get different(and also get) originals. I miss their urban legend houses like La Llaronna & El Cucuy, the latter wasn't fantastic but they were good to have.

Also to John's tweet we still have 5 houses to announce... wonder what he's gonna reveal at ScareLa. My bets on Leatherface or Insidious

Who's to say John's staying for next year? In talking with him he's said it's 50-50 at this point. And in my opinion, unless a highly saught after property comes into his possession before the end of the season (IE The Exorcist) I don't think he'll stay
I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure the only reason he stayed on for 2016 was because WB approached him and Mike and told them that the rights for The Exorcist were available (Mike said that they came to him and John during the 2015 event in a podcast from 2016). And probably the same with 2017 and The Shining.
I love and admire John's work and I don't want him to go, but a change in creative will breathe new life into this event. So unless a game changing IP that he's wanted to do for years, probably IT or The Conjuring, is available for next year, I think this may be his last year

...see next quote on that one.

Not necessarily.

I have to imagine after this year, there will be massive changes made for the event on both Hollywood AND Orlando, and potentially Osaka as-well, as they are now owned by Comcast fully. Could we see Murdy leave? I think it's more probable than some may think, as he has seemed to dedicate more time in Ireland than he has at the Universal Lot, and that he conquered his moby dick last year. Even if IT and The Conjuring come next year, that doesn't automatically guarantee Murdy staying for another year, to tackle those IP's.

My two cents on it, but that if Murdy leaves after this year, I am not going to be shocked. If he stays on for one more year, I won't be shocked at that either, but I imagine there will be massive changes to the way things work next year, to ensure that something like The Conjuring or Scream NEVER happens for either coast.

Well that's a bummer. To be fair I don't think we could share originals with them, most of theirs go into soundstage which besides 747 we don't have any. Hopefully in the next few years we get different(and also get) originals. I miss their urban legend houses like La Llaronna & El Cucuy, the latter wasn't fantastic but they were good to have.

Also to John's tweet we still have 5 houses to announce... wonder what he's gonna reveal at ScareLa. My bets on Leatherface or Insidious
We don't even have 747 anymore. Lost that to Mindy Project for the time being.
Ah El Cucuy, one of my favorites. I miss original urban legends mazes. La Llarona was visually the best maze and one of the scariest. Probably my favorite maze from 2012
We only have 4 mazes to announce... 3 already announced (Shining, AHS, AVED) and TWD Attraction. Leaves us with Jigsaw, Insidious, Blumhouse, and Uber Fan (I'm still not saying this is Leatherface because everybody is so wishy washy on this property that I don't even have a solid idea of what it is nor do I think we will until it's announced)

I think he'll announce Chucky in WW... Oh wait no, Alien for WW...! No...Wait yeah, Leatherface in WW for sure...

In all seriousness, I think our Hollywood exclusive will pop up at ScareLA.

i don't like it since murdy will be gone and most houses will be shared. but finally original houses. god that would be amazing

We don't even have 747 anymore. Lost that to Mindy Project for the time being.
Ah El Cucuy, one of my favorites. I miss original urban legends mazes. La Llarona was visually the best maze and one of the scariest. Probably my favorite maze from 2012
We only have 4 mazes to announce... 3 already announced (Shining, AHS, AVED) and TWD Attraction. Leaves us with Jigsaw, Insidious, Blumhouse, and Uber Fan (I'm still not saying this is Leatherface because everybody is so wishy washy on this property that I don't even have a solid idea of what it is nor do I think we will until it's announced)

Shoot I forgot about TWD, so after Saturday only 3 will be left. For the time being with Uber Fan, it's virtually impossible at the moment to get a connection. Our only clue is that the facade looks kinda like a house, but who knows. I hope it's not Leatherface since last year's house got mixed reviews, but I'll give it a shot if it comes. *still hoping it's The Thing*

i don't like it since murdy will be gone and most houses will be shared. but finally original houses. god that would be amazing

Hollywood isn't going to get nine houses. If you honestly think that, you need to think about the pure logistics of that not only being unethical, but not plausible in any meaning in the modern day Universal Hollywood that we know.

Shoot I forgot about TWD, so after Saturday only 3 will be left. For the time being with Uber Fan, it's virtually impossible at the moment to get a connection. Our only clue is that the facade looks kinda like a house, but who knows. I hope it's not Leatherface since last year's house got mixed reviews, but I'll give it a shot if it comes. *still hoping it's The Thing*

TWDA is the addon, similar to what House of Horrors admittedly was. It was also mentioned by someone that I am blanking out here that GSAT's for it aren't exactly great.

I have heard Leatherface, and none of that facade going up at Waterworld remotes anything to The Thing to me, as much as some people do want it.

Hollywood isn't going to get nine houses. If you honestly think that, you need to think about the pure logistics of that not only being unethical, but not plausible in any meaning in the modern day Universal Hollywood that we know.

TWDA is the addon, similar to what House of Horrors admittedly was. It was also mentioned by someone that I am blanking out here that GSAT's for it aren't exactly great.

I have heard Leatherface, and none of that facade going up at Waterworld remotes anything to The Thing to me, as much as some people do want it.

Yeah I know, just seems like a missed opportunity considering it was it's 35th anniversary. But it would be expensive and I don't think it was in the budget, so whatever we get will be good. If it's Leatherface I'm guessing the facade is either the barn or the new Sawyer house, or possibly the diner.

Edit: Does anyone know what happened to the Friday the 13th reboot? I know it was rumored for this year but it seems to have gotten forgotten about by everybody; so anyone know if the movie was canceled or just delayed for next year?

To be fair I don't think we could share originals with them, most of theirs go into soundstage which besides 747 we don't have any.
Um... This is not true at all. Far from it actually. Sure they have the ability to use a few SS (usually 2 mazes per SS, and one SS for one maze).. but that does NOT automatically mean "OMG ORIGINAL MAZE MUST BE INSIDE THERE"... And sure now with the park losing certain rides/attractions for new ones, it means old maze locations are lost too.

But there have been many "originals" (and IPs) NOT located inside a SS. Hell, this year alone both Sprung Tents are "originals". And while using a SS is nice, it doesn't mean the maze is going to be better than a maze located in a Sprung Tent or a ride queue (RIP Jaws & Disaster queue). There have been some terrible mazes inside the SS before. From videos & in person, there have been some pretty great mazes here built under a tent that rivaled ones Orlando had built.

Never judge a maze quality by its location. Soundstages allow certain things a black tarp on poles can't sometimes, but it doesn't mean it will be better.

Um... This is not true at all. Far from it actually. Sure they have the ability to use a few SS (usually 2 mazes per SS, and one SS for one maze).. but that does NOT automatically mean "OMG ORIGINAL MAZE MUST BE INSIDE THERE"... And sure now with the park losing certain rides/attractions for new ones, it means old maze locations are lost too.

But there have been many "originals" (and IPs) NOT located inside a SS. Hell, this year alone both Sprung Tents are "originals". And while using a SS is nice, it doesn't mean the maze is going to be better than a maze located in a Sprung Tent or a ride queue (RIP Jaws & Disaster queue). There have been some terrible mazes inside the SS before. From videos & in person, there have been some pretty great mazes here built under a tent that rivaled ones Orlando had built.

Never judge a maze quality by its location. Soundstages allow certain things a black tarp on poles can't sometimes, but it doesn't mean it will be better.

I agree with all of that, it's just some mazes like Nightengales or Cabin in the Woods or Gothic would never work in a tent. Tents work better for most stuff though, it's just properties like the AHS mashup don't really work in a tent because one season ends up being too small. For this year it seems like a lot of our mazes will be better than Orlandos, for instance our Blumhouse maze is speculated to feature 3 more properties than theirs; and one of the properties in theirs is a maze by itself over here.

That sucks. Quick question but if we get Leatherface this year how long of a deal do you think they'll give on the Titans?
I think I responded to something similar to this from someone else before but I personally don't see Freddy or Leatherface coming back anytime soon after this year... However, I do see Jason and the Halloween franchise will coming back in whatever form.

I think I responded to something similar to this from someone else before but I personally don't see Freddy or Leatherface coming back anytime soon after this year... However, I do see Jason and the Halloween franchise will coming back in whatever form.

Yeah I agree; unless they go after the various Halloween sequels or Rob Zombie reboot(or an upcoming reboot if anything) then I think Jason has the best shot.

I agree with all of that, it's just some mazes like Nightengales or Cabin in the Woods or Gothic would never work in a tent. Tents work better for most stuff though, it's just properties like the AHS mashup don't really work in a tent because one season ends up being too small. For this year it seems like a lot of our mazes will be better than Orlandos, for instance our Blumhouse maze is speculated to feature 3 more properties than theirs; and one of the properties in theirs is a maze by itself over here.
That is not even close to being true at all. Size wise for the scale of certain sets, Gothic works better in a SS, but its not 100% necessary. Any "flying scareactor" type effect is only possible in a Soundstage, same for certain visual effects (although thats debateable). Cabin in the Woods could easily be the Terror Tram or a park-wide SZ (a REAL park-wide SZ, not 3 designated SZs in the park... yea, i'm looking at you 2016's Purge). Nightengales most certainly did NOT require a soundstage, you were in war trenches. Not exactly a lot of height required. The only thing that required the use of a SS was the flying scareactor effect.

You can't judge a maze by how many IPs it has. There is a good possibility that Orlando's Blumhouse of Horrors will wipe the floor with ours & flush it down the toilet. Its essentially the same as sharing a singular IP... They may be similar, but execution-wise, they are drastically different. And while one might have more/different IPs than the other, does not mean it will be better than the other.

Tents work better for most stuff? What? :confused: That doesn't even make sense. That is exactly the same thing as saying mazes are better in Soundstages (which you originally stated). Orlando has had mazes in ride queues that were better than a SS maze. Hell, they've even used a restuarant & the empty interior of a NY facade to have a maze. Its all about execution, not location or if its under a tent or not.

AHS mashup doesn't work because a season ends up being too small? Thats not true at all, Thats like saying Blumhouse of Horrors doesn't work because certain IPs get ____ # of scenes. Or if we want to go back to Orlando, who has had MULTIPLE mazes over the years featuring multiple IPs- House/Museum of Horrors, All Nite Die-In, Silver Screams, etc. It all comes down to execution, not necessarily location.

That is not even close to being true at all. Size wise for the scale of certain sets, Gothic works better in a SS, but its not 100% necessary. Any "flying scareactor" type effect is only possible in a Soundstage, same for certain visual effects (although thats debateable). Cabin in the Woods could easily be the Terror Tram or a park-wide SZ (a REAL park-wide SZ, not 3 designated SZs in the park... yea, i'm looking at you 2016's Purge). Nightengales most certainly did NOT require a soundstage, you were in war trenches. Not exactly a lot of height required. The only thing that required the use of a SS was the flying scareactor effect.

You can't judge a maze by how many IPs it has. There is a good possibility that Orlando's Blumhouse of Horrors will wipe the floor with ours & flush it down the toilet. Its essentially the same as sharing a singular IP... They may be similar, but execution-wise, they are drastically different. And while one might have more/different IPs than the other, does not mean it will be better than the other.

Tents work better for most stuff? What? :confused: That doesn't even make sense. That is exactly the same thing as saying mazes are better in Soundstages (which you originally stated). Orlando has had mazes in ride queues that were better than a SS maze. Hell, they've even used a restuarant & the empty interior of a NY facade to have a maze. Its all about execution, not location or if its under a tent or not.

AHS mashup doesn't work because a season ends up being too small? Thats not true at all, Thats like saying Blumhouse of Horrors doesn't work because certain IPs get ____ # of scenes. Or if we want to go back to Orlando, who has had MULTIPLE mazes over the years featuring multiple IPs- House/Museum of Horrors, All Nite Die-In, Silver Screams, etc. It all comes down to execution, not necessarily location.

Several aspects of Nightengales besides the flying scareactors would definitely not work in a tent; how are you gonna stick a tank & a crashed plane inside a tent? In my opinion Soundstages give better detailed houses most of the time because of how much more you can put in them; doesn't mean every SS house is perfect because there are many duds, it's just you have more room to put stuff in. Tents and queues are very good too, and most of the time they provide great mazes, it's just that there are limits of what can and can't go into a tent/queue. One of my favorite mazes of all time(TCM: Flesh Wounds) was in a queue and was amazing. In the context of CiTW, I was referring to it in maze form, it would be a great Terror Tram or park side scarezone if Murdy or the team ever wanted to do it. For AHS, it would be very hard to make Asylum, Coven, and Roanoke work in a tent becase of the amount of material in each season, which is why we're getting an individual Roanoke maze. On the topic of Blumhouse, execution certainly is key; I'm just saying the fact we get Get Out, Split, and a full on Insidious maze and they don't get any of those besides an Insidious cameo in their mashup puts our maze in a pretty good advantage.