HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2015 | Page 60 | Inside Universal Forums

HHN Hollywood Speculation/News - 2015

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What is your favorite USH HHN Year?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Pre-2006

• Total voters
Actually it is very fair to Murdy & his team. It is their job to have it done within a reasonable timeframe. This is just poor time management & planning. Working movie studio or not, they shouldn't be this behind with getting the event ready, especially after this many years of doing the event. There is a big difference between working on things until the last minute & still doing things that should've been done already.. Yes, I'm very well aware that every haunt works up to the last minute before opening night, as well as during the event itself.... but that is no excuse to not have certain things like construction, audio, lighting, & video done already... This past week should've been devoted to inspections & tweaking of things, not rushing to get it done. It is not an unreasonable expectation.

This isn't like Orlando which had to completely change a house concept last minute due to rights being pulled AFTER the house was completely built with its audio/lighting done. Or deal with a Christian music event this past weekend resulting in having to disassemble their fully built stage set overnight on wednesday & having to rebuild it yesterday, as well as cover up SZ props/sets that might be gory/offensive (previous years they had to remove certain things entirely from the SZs or wait until after RTU to put them out).

Take Orlando in 2012 for example, where the house (Chupacabra) was nearly built in its location (SS44), then had to be scrapped because that location was demolished late July for Transformers resulting in having to quickly dig up a new house concept (House of Horrors) in August to replace it with that could be done easily & cheaply, file a permit for a new location (B79-parade building), come up with new masks/costumes, then have the house built & ready in time for the event. It ended up being one of the best & scariest houses that year. And it was only a simple blacklight strobe house. Even though they didn't need to, they still added more set details over the first 3 weeks of the event.

The closest Hollywood has been in the situation of having to swap out a maze last minute recently is what? when they did TCM the other year?

So yea... considering everything was locked in place well in advance without any issues like last minute IP changes or another annual event in the park happening the weekend before HHN (its usually at least 2 weeks before), I do expect them to have it done by now. That way they have the time to make any necessary adjustments or changes to things.

Actually it is very fair to Murdy & his team. It is their job to have it done within a reasonable timeframe. This is just poor time management & planning. Working movie studio or not, they shouldn't be this behind with getting the event ready, especially after this many years of doing the event. There is a big difference between working on things until the last minute & still doing things that should've been done already.. Yes, I'm very well aware that every haunt works up to the last minute before opening night, as well as during the event itself.... but that is no excuse to not have certain things like construction, audio, lighting, & video done already... This past week should've been devoted to inspections & tweaking of things, not rushing to get it done. It is not an unreasonable expectation.

This isn't like Orlando which had to completely change a house concept last minute due to rights being pulled AFTER the house was completely built with its audio/lighting done. Or deal with a Christian music event this past weekend resulting in having to disassemble their fully built stage set overnight on wednesday & having to rebuild it yesterday, as well as cover up SZ props/sets that might be gory/offensive (previous years they had to remove certain things entirely from the SZs or wait until after RTU to put them out).

Take Orlando in 2012 for example, where the house (Chupacabra) was nearly built in its location (SS44), then had to be scrapped because that location was demolished late July for Transformers resulting in having to quickly dig up a new house concept (House of Horrors) in August to replace it with that could be done easily & cheaply, file a permit for a new location (B79-parade building), come up with new masks/costumes, then have the house built & ready in time for the event. It ended up being one of the best & scariest houses that year. And it was only a simple blacklight strobe house. Even though they didn't need to, they still added more set details over the first 3 weeks of the event.

The closest Hollywood has been in the situation of having to swap out a maze last minute recently is what? when they did TCM the other year?

So yea... considering everything was locked in place well in advance without any issues like last minute IP changes or another annual event in the park happening the weekend before HHN (its usually at least 2 weeks before), I do expect them to have it done by now. That way they have the time to make any necessary adjustments or changes to things.
You're comparing Apples and Oranges again. Most of Orlando's houses are in locations that are uneffected by guests. Let alone a major movie studio and a park expansion. We get it, Hollywood is still putting stuff up days before the event starts... just like the past 5 years.

No, it's their job to have it done by opening night and complaining that they're not done well in advance is completely 100% unfair. Where are you getting this "reasonable time-frame" concept? Who exactly do they need to have these mazes completed for so far in advance for? Do you understand exactly what goes into the operation of HHN each year?

As mentioned in another comment, this isn't Orlando. Completely different operations, completely different challenges to work around. Hollywood has to abide by movie studio union laws, Orlando doesn't, ect.

And lastly, I talked to John yesterday, he said everything will be up and ready for the employee preview, and the following 2 days will be the adjustment/timing/audio tweaking for the grand opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a different note, it looks like HHN merchandise went on sale today.

Among this year's selection, we'll be getting a shirt for Insidious: Chapter 3, in addition to a shirt and lanyard for Halloween. As usual, we'll also be getting a shirt with this year's maze lineup. It's themed to TWD again, with the maze logos plastered on the back of the Del Arno food truck which is featured in Season 5 (as well as most of the HHN promos this year).

Back at it Again:

CO_bg-XUEAAFuoa.jpg

Im so looking forward to being there next weekend!! Some people are complaining about Murdy's time management skills for the lack of completion for some mazes but forgot Murdy had to juggle HHN with creative input to the Studio Night Tours this year. They might be behind but I'm sure Murdy and his team will have everything done by friday morning even if costs him missing a few nights of sleep. 

Reactions: deadbydawn
My excitement for TITE has grown. I wasn't a fan of the movie but I can see the potential for the maze. I do have to agree, Crimson is one of the best mazes HHN has ever done from a scenic/theatrical perspective.

Just an FYI: TITE's facade is far from finished, looks half-a**ed and probably the only disappointment of the night, but dang it, this year looks great! The Purge: Urban Nightmare was also a surprise hit tonight. Awesome, awesome, awesome. 

Reactions: William
^ I don't think so, it utilizes the space in front of it and a bit of the extended queue. Not too sure though, as it was one of the first mazes hit, and Halloween was phenomenal. Michael Myers is EVERYWHERE. However, I did find it a bit too shorter than anticipated, but man is it great. Insidious and Crimson Peak are so far my favorites, This is the End at a close third followed by Halloween. Actually got some good scares in TWD. Gonna try to do TITE again as this time around seemed very sloppy and a bit unorganized, but it appeared to be the only maze besides Insidious that needed work done to it. 

Reactions: 12th Man and Ryan