Horror Movies Thread | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When compared to some of the others in the series, I think it’s actually near the top of the CS sequels.

you’re totally right though. This one is kind of like putting a bunch of delicious toppings on top of a saltine cracker.

I'd have it about in the middle of the pack for the series.

There are certainly at least a couple that are much worse.

The new TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE on Netflix is... something, alright!

Bad characters, muddled social commentary, and very hacky plotting, but the gore is tremendous and there's actually one pretty solid performance from Elsie Fisher.

So... tepid recommendation for fans of the franchise, I suppose. For others, probably skippable unless you really need a gore fix.

it was better than halloween kills at least. much better than scream 5 (which both had terrible horrendous commentary lol)
new Texas chainsaw had a cliche beginning but it's brutal once leatherface shows up. a lot better than the last 2 Texas chainsaw movies.

Reactions: belloq87
It was good just not much to it. Literally. 76 minutes before credits started rolling. But in the end it had a few good scares.

I watched the new TCM last night too and it was…a choice?? I’ve been trying to pinpoint my own feelings towards it and it’s probably somewhere around indifference. That said, the only movie in the TCM franchise I like is the original, so, if you’re a big TCM fan ymmv.

Why do we do this? TCM, Halloween, F13... just stop.

The Thing hurts the most, because the real one (which of course is itself a remake) is such a classic. Stop!

The Blob remake was also pretty good.

But, enough! :grin: :cheers:

ETA: The Fly. Wow, not sure what to say now. Keep trying? Or, how about stop with movies that were already great to begin with?!? Ugh, I just had a flash about Psycho... I need to lay down... ;)

Last edited:
In the lead up to the newest addition to the Saw Family, I decided to re-watch or watch for the first time every TCM movie after the original and the initial sequel (both of which I love and think are great for very different reasons) and after seeing the newest Netflix entry, my big take away from the Saw franchise is that it is so much more enjoyable when it's being bonkers, over the top and making fun of itself. When it tries to steer into serious, brooding, menacing territory it just fails and pales in comparison to how gritty and brutal the original film was and still is. It will never be topped so it just becomes a needless exercise in excess every time an attempt is made. Leatherface is a much better character when he's a blubbering, tumbling mess than an ultra menacing destructor.

I'm supremely frustrated by the new 2022 film because the directing as actually top notch. Several sequences and shots are actually quite memorable and gorgeous. The brutality and gore is also similarly at a top level. Which makes my frustration ten times worse when those elements are utterly failed by the writing, plotting and characterization making up the rest of the bloody meat pie. Several times I audibly questioned why a character was doing this or that or how this or that had come to be to the point where the truly good things in the film are easily forgotten.

My ranking of the TCM franchise would be as follows:

1. TCM 1974
2. TCM Part 2
3. TCM: The Next Generation
4. TCM Remake
5. Leatherface: TCM Part 3
6. TCM: The Beginning
7. Leatherface
8. TCM 2022
9. TC 3D

The Next Generation was my biggest discovery. It is a wild, kooky take on a Sawyer family that is so far gone and modern that one member doubles as a Real Estate agent type and they eat take out pizza since it's so readily available. Leatherface is so far gone that he's almost ineffective as a slasher villain, a meta commentary on the entire franchise as a whole, while he delves even further into his drag queen tendencies. The film features a sub plot pertaining to a secret, deep state level of the powerful elite who run the world that actually deliveries on its crazy premise. It is a bizarre, weird film set in the TCM universe and I love it unabashedly. The more scary and menacing and deadly this franchise tries to make ole Leatherface, the more I pine for Vilmer's remote controlled leg.

Also, it is absolutely nuts to me how many different continuities this franchise has within the span of 9 films. 4 different timelines now with the creation of this latest Netflix adaptation. That alone says a lot as to how so many people miss the mark and continually try to return to that unobtainable scariness of the original.

The PSYCHO remake is just an atrocious, insulting movie.

To be faiiiiirrrr...The Psycho remake was never intended as a relaunch/reboot of the series. Gus Van Sant just had a hard on to try and do a shot for shot experiment with modern technology.

Plus, the Psycho sequels are pretty underrated. Especially 2 and 4.

To be faiiiiirrrr...The Psycho remake was never intended as a relaunch/reboot of the series. Gus Van Sant just had a hard on to try and do a shot for shot experiment with modern technology.

Plus, the Psycho sequels are pretty underrated. Especially 2 and 4.

I get what GVS' intentions were, but I think he was spectacularly misguided.

And yeah, PSYCHO II is fantastic.

Reactions: DannyPowers
So yeah - TCM 2022 is a thing. It was enjoyable for all the bloody goodness and the massacring but a lot of it was awful.

My biggest problem was the attempt to make it a requel. It was clearly trying to ride off of Halloween 2018's success but there is no connection other than "it happened" and Sally wanting her vengeance. Why was he in the orphanage? Why did he go quiet for 50 years? Where was the rest of the family? etc etc

for me
psycho 2 is better and more enjoyable than 1 ( yeah I know controversial opinion) I prefer it much more. (Tarantino said the same lol)

psycho 4 is much better than Bates motel
( season 5 really ruins the whole show and the psycho story, season 5 is an awful retelling of psycho 1)
psycho 4 was able to tell the backstory in a much better way than 4 seasons of bates motel.

psycho remake works well as a comedy/ parody. Vince Vaughn almost fits In one of those scary movie sequels. he almost feels like a Saturday night live parody. I actually like to see the cringe performances in the remake for everyone.

for me
psycho 2 is better and more enjoyable than 1 ( yeah I know controversial opinion) I prefer it much more. (Tarantino said the same lol)

I've always maintained the same. Psycho is a classic that changed the genre but II is such a great, underrated dark comedy that makes you care about and sympathize with Norman so well it's just a masterpiece of a movie, IMO. That ending packs such a wallop too, I love it every time I watch it.

Part III is super sleazy but fun to see Norman turn into more of an 80's slasher icon!

Reactions: Lucky Planet
Ti West's X is terrific. Puts both SCREAM '22 and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE '22 to shame in this year's slasher contest.
Finally got to see it last night. I don't know if I enjoyed it more than Scream 5 (they're very different movies), but it's one of the best that I've seen lately. A good nasty grindhouse throwback, but with some of that A24 sophistication mixed in.

Finally got to see it last night. I don't know if I enjoyed it more than Scream 5 (they're very different movies), but it's one of the best that I've seen lately. A good nasty grindhouse throwback, but with some of that A24 sophistication mixed in.

It's really good.

I can't wait to see the prequel that West and co. already shot.

It's really good.

I can't wait to see the prequel that West and co. already shot.

You stayed after the credits
for the teaser trailer
right?

I had to explain to my wife that it was real, and not just a goof. This other couple that was still there was looking at me like I was crazy.