Horror Movies Thread | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Caught a found footage/mockumentary-style horror movie on Tubi tonight called HORROR IN THE HIGH DESERT, and it's very solid for what it is. It concerns a missing hiker/explorer/vlogger, and the attempts to discover what happened to him. Good production value (beautiful -- and eerie -- scenery), solid character work (the missing hiker is extremely likable), and a legitimately scary final 20 minutes (which is the sort of stuff that found footage fans have seen before, but it's executed really well).

If found footage-type horror is your thing, I recommend it.
I'll give it a go
I love Tubi so much.

Reactions: belloq87
It’s weird. Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 3, and 7 are seen as the good movies, 2 is a middle road, and 4, 5, and 6 are seen as failures. I wondered if there was something off with how I watch and pay attention to movies, as I struggled to sit through the first 3 films. But you know what? 4 and 5 weren’t that bad. They had their problems, but honestly I didn’t have a terrible time watching them. Wonder how it will work for the next two Freddy films.

• Haha
Reactions: Lucky Planet
It’s weird. Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 3, and 7 are seen as the good movies, 2 is a middle road, and 4, 5, and 6 are seen as failures. I wondered if there was something off with how I watch and pay attention to movies, as I struggled to sit through the first 3 films. But you know what? 4 and 5 weren’t that bad. They had their problems, but honestly I didn’t have a terrible time watching them. Wonder how it will work for the next two Freddy films.

Your personal taste doesn't need to match popular consensus!

I think only FREDDY'S DEAD is truly difficult to sit through. Even 4 and 5, which I don't particularly like, are stylish enough that I find them easy to watch.

Reactions: pumpkinbot343

Freddy became more goofy and silly in those later ones. Less scary. Less threatening. More clownish.
I don't really like part 2. But nightmare 1 is one of the greatest movies of all time. The acting. The suspense. The pacing. The music. The dreams
Perfect for me in every way. Not just as horror but one of the best directed movies I ever saw.

Freddy is definitely comedic in the sequels; but few has highlighted his cruelty there. In the Dream Child, he forces a anorexic to eat her own innards. Freddy’s Dead shows him making fun of someone’s hearing loss and sexually abused background. Not a nice guy he is.

I have problems with Freddy vs Jason and people have questioned its validity in canon, so I’m counting Freddy’s Dead as the last of the originals. The problem with Freddy’s portrayal isn’t that he’s comedic; it’s that his “comedy” consists of pop culture references and one-liners, it doesn’t give the impression of an actual character, just a vessel who speaks. And for what was supposed to be the FINAL nightmare, the creators did not care about trying to make it feel that way.

I utterly HATE the dream demons backstory. What was wrong with just some guy turning into a dream god? The fact that Freddy had bounds was always stupid to me.

I utterly HATE the dream demons backstory.

It's really stupid, and New Line Cinema basically did the same sort of thing with Jason in JASON GOES TO HELL around the same time, where they invent the new backstory that he was possessed by a gross slug monster that can jump from body to body.

These characters don't need that kind of extra layer of "mythology."

Freddy is definitely comedic in the sequels; but few has highlighted his cruelty there. In the Dream Child, he forces a anorexic to eat her own innards. Freddy’s Dead shows him making fun of someone’s hearing loss and sexually abused background. Not a nice guy he is.

I have problems with Freddy vs Jason and people have questioned its validity in canon, so I’m counting Freddy’s Dead as the last of the originals. The problem with Freddy’s portrayal isn’t that he’s comedic; it’s that his “comedy” consists of pop culture references and one-liners, it doesn’t give the impression of an actual character, just a vessel who speaks. And for what was supposed to be the FINAL nightmare, the creators did not care about trying to make it feel that way.

I utterly HATE the dream demons backstory. What was wrong with just some guy turning into a dream god? The fact that Freddy had bounds was always stupid to me.
dream demons looked like flying fish
but what was wrong with freddy vs jason ?

dream demons looked like flying fish
but what was wrong with freddy vs jason ?

Freddy had only one kill and it confirmed his “intelligence” to be the stupids level. Freddy could have specifically told Jason to kill only a few of them, or just tell him to go away once he started interfering in his town too much. In fighting him directly, it ended up costing him a potential kill spree.

Also Freddy’s Dead established that he is limited to only the town of Springwood and its children; the only way he got out is through the personal link with his daughter. But the teens take Jason back to his camp and Freddy is still able to do his dream work there so it broke continuity.

lf

I love this painting shown in New Nightmare.

Reactions: belloq87