Horror Movies Thread | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Horror Movies Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Eh, you don't need a budget to create tension or memorable characters or weave a cohesive, interesting story.

This is also very true. I think they probably felt like they could coast on Cage being Cage for the entire movie, so they didn't put in the effort on him or anybody else. But if the movie at least looked good, visually, and had some decent mayhem, I could overlook that.

It doesn't, so I can't!

The Last Drive-In returns tonight. The movies shown are usually kept a secret until it airs but anybody else have Shudder and excited for the return?

Reactions: DannyPowers
Does this get any better past the werewolf story? I tried watching it last night but I couldn’t stand the main characters and gave up on it halfway through that part.

I’m also very, very excited for Last Night in Soho.
towards the end it really relies on some social commentary stuff to give it some stakes but it is very heavy handed, and if you already don't like the characters (I did not) they don't really get any better at that point. The character who shows up after the wolf story is pretty neat though.

So ready. Eli Roth is gonna be there
I am not even the biggest fan of his movies, but I am always excited to hear his insight into the genre. His movie style aside, hes a super cool and knowledgeable dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Last Drive-In returns tonight. The movies shown are usually kept a secret until it airs but anybody else have Shudder and excited for the return?

I'm always there for Joe Bob!

Any predictions for the flicks tonight? I'm going with Wicker Man and House by the Cemetery. I usually have at least one wrong, though.

I'm always there for Joe Bob!

Any predictions for the flicks tonight? I'm going with Wicker Man and House by the Cemetery. I usually have at least one wrong, though.
I usually have no clue. The only one I ever guessed was Heathers and I could not believe they actually showed it! Would be stoked to watch Joe Bob do the original WM.

We watched Spontaneous on Hulu last night. No spoilers, but it's a romantic "comedy" set in a school where kids are spontaneously combusting.

Not 100% horror, but I found it fun enough to recommend.

I actually got to see a very different cut of this trailer last week. I honestly prefer this one, it makes it look much more like a procedural "who done it" kind of thing. The one I saw looked a bit more "actioned up". Although, it still ended with that silly run toward the cliff.

Reactions: belloq87
Since we’re halfway to Halloween does anyone have any recommendations for haunt based horror movies??

I’ve seen the Hell House series, both The Houses October Built, Hell Fest and Haunt...and I kinda feel like that’s all of them, but, I hope I’m wrong.

Since we’re halfway to Halloween does anyone have any recommendations for haunt based horror movies??

I’ve seen the Hell House series, both The Houses October Built, Hell Fest and Haunt...and I kinda feel like that’s all of them, but, I hope I’m wrong.

Those are most of the ones that are at least decent. There’s also Funhouse from the 70s (early 80s) by Tobe Hooper.

Those are most of the ones that are at least decent. There’s also Funhouse from the 70s (early 80s) by Tobe Hooper.

I’ll probably do a rewatch (besides Hell House 3 and The Houses October Built 2, especially that one iirc I hated) then and add Funhouse to the list!

After the Hell House series, which I personally really dug, haunted attraction based films usually miss the mark pretty badly for me. Outside of those listed, there is Blood Fest, which is a decent stab at a 'haunt lovers dream turned nightmare' scenario. Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse would likely end up in this designation by technicality and most people really love that film (though I'm not the biggest fan personally). Waxwork is a fun horror comedy that, not technically a haunt, is a spooky type locale that gives you a lot of fun horror trope sequences. Dark Ride is worth a watch and features a moving horror dark ride. Finally, there's Fear, Inc. which is about a sort of targeted-haunt scare service. The film is fine but lays it on ultra thick with meta horror references from some meh characters.

The Haunted Forest Tour by James A. Moore and Jeff Strand is a novel that is basically Jurassic Park with real horror monsters that is pretty damn entertaining.

After the Hell House series, which I personally really dug, haunted attraction based films usually miss the mark pretty badly for me. Outside of those listed, there is Blood Fest, which is a decent stab at a 'haunt lovers dream turned nightmare' scenario. Tobe Hooper's The Funhouse would likely end up in this designation by technicality and most people really love that film (though I'm not the biggest fan personally). Waxwork is a fun horror comedy that, not technically a haunt, is a spooky type locale that gives you a lot of fun horror trope sequences. Dark Ride is worth a watch and features a moving horror dark ride. Finally, there's Fear, Inc. which is about a sort of targeted-haunt scare service. The film is fine but lays it on ultra thick with meta horror references from some meh characters.

The Haunted Forest Tour by James A. Moore and Jeff Strand is a novel that is basically Jurassic Park with real horror monsters that is pretty damn entertaining.

I also really enjoyed Hell House 1 & 2, I thought they were both super creepy. At least Dark Ride and Waxwork both ring bells, but, the rest definitely don’t. I’m adding them all to my watch list anyway though!

I’ll probably do a rewatch (besides Hell House 3 and The Houses October Built 2, especially that one iirc I hated) then and add Funhouse to the list!

Houses TOB was one of the biggest disappointments. I enjoyed the hell out of the first one, and then they follow it up with a half baked idea that completely undoes all of the best parts of the first one.

Reactions: Allison