KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2) | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but a new theme park is being built down the road. I'm not going to get worked up over the lack of new attractions in a land that's not meant for me for an area that's needed severe updating for years, especially with 2025 right around the corner where all eyes will be on them.

It seems a lot of this pushback is being shortsighted as we have no idea of the extent on how the new land will be shaped. It's very possible there will be space left for new additions, and we're still not even mentioning the Animal Actors plot, or if they would dare, ET Adventure. It's not like they're just taking down signs and replacing the playgrounds with "NOW STARRING SHREK".

My only hope is that something new gets added. If it's mostly a lateral retheme of the area, then ideally a new flat ride. The Kung Fu Panda lantern spinner from Beijing would especially look great at night and draw people into the land.

Shrek 4D got about four months of warning, and that wasn't beloved either. I think Universal's growing fan community is a factor, which might explain why they announced this so early. In the past, even rides like Jaws, Dueling Dragons, Twister, and T2-3D had only a month or two of warning between an announcement and their respective closings.

Also, TMs would starting knowing about the closure, which would start leaking out anyway. Universal just got ahead of it.

I'm not going to get worked up over the lack of new attractions in a land that's not meant for me

This is the part I truly don't understand, and I'm not just trying to be argumentative. Wouldn't you prefer they do something with this land that you might also enjoy?

That's all I'm saying.

This is the part I truly don't understand, and I'm not just trying to be argumentative. Wouldn't you prefer they do something with this land that you might also enjoy?

That's all I'm saying.

Well, we don't know what exactly is coming, so...

Ultimately though, as someone who's about to be a father, and knowing several parents who have the same thought process, my enjoyment will come from their enjoyment. I got a whole lotta other parts of Universal that I get to enjoy. The young kids don't.

I prefer a lot of things, but I know I can't get everything, either. Universal saw an opportunity to bolster a very weak part of its lineup. Ultimately, money talks and time is the enemy. They also aren't in a position to lose that area since IT IS the only kid-friendly spot, which is why I reckon AA and ET are staying open; but the bandaid needed to be ripped as they eye toward the spotlight of 2025.

At first--not exactly happy that this doesn't have KFPA; as i think that'd fully justify the 2024 placement and would allow them to synergize as they have for NBCU with stuff like Secret Life of Pets, JW, and now Chucky; but at that same token..

not even gonna be remotely mad for something that is going to be more of a smol moment ahead of the big one that is Epic Universe. Hoping the scenic's really good; and I hope you guys get the upgraded Donkey alongside Mr. Ping.

If what our very reliable insiders are telling us is true, this changeover feels analogous in a lot of ways to the Magic Kingdom's conversion of Mickey's Toontown Fair to Storybook Circus, albeit in a park that is in much, much more desperate need of family-friendly content.

Reactions: belloq87
TMs would starting knowing about the closure, which would start leaking out anyway. Universal just got ahead of it.

I still remember TMs being notified about Kid Zone's closure several years ago for another project :grin:

Glad to see it FINALLY happening, even if it is just retheming of existing stuff. It is LONG overdue and an quick/cheap/easy way to add something new for 2024. The park has been in need of more relevant kids stuff for a long time.

My final prediction: I agree with Alicia that Trolls seems most likely. I say a coaster re-theme, 2 new flats and a M&G. I think that KFP will be in EU if they ever decide to bring that IP to Orlando.

Reactions: UNIrd
The Animal Actors area is the most intriguing to me. Wonder if they keep it as a theater or build something new in its place.

I’m hoping they improve the visibility and flow of the land. Oh and I would love if they got rid of the stars in the concrete. That color combo/design screams 90s.

I’m also curious about how much of their word choice was marketing speak. “Immerse” sounds like a lot more placemaking and “make way for” sounds like some demolition. But again, could just be buzzwords.

Facts and observations:
1. DreamWorks and Illumination aren't named, Universal talks about Beloved Animated Characters. But the trend is to use their own ip.
2. The whole area closes all at once, a re-theming of areas could have gone in stages.
3. No Minions, How to train your Dragon as they already exist or are in the works.
4. The area is +20 years old, I expect it to be flattened completely.
5. Beyond USF there are already a lot of attractions based on their own ip.

Conclusion and thoughts:
I expect Universal to go mainly for what they already have developed so they can go quick and beyond that they know what of these rides work or need to be changed. It'll save a lot of money and time.

Below a selection of rides and show (most of them have themed dining, shopping and or games too).
- Secret life of pets Off the leash
- Dreamworks theater featuring Kung Fu Panda (show)
- Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness
- Sing on Tour (show)
- Far Far Away (Shrek land with Push 'n boots coaster, Enchanted Airways (coaster), Magic Potion Spinner, Donkey Live (show) and the 4D movie that just closed in USF so don't expect that)
- Madagascar: a crate adventure (failed and killed by SNW)

My prediction:
A land full of animation ip bundled together in a mesh up of fun will (probably) contain:
Main Street:
- a reworked (bigger throughput) Secret life of pets Off the leash dark ride
- Sing on Tour (show)
+ restaurants and shops

Japantown area:
- Kung Fu Panda Land of Awesomeness takes what works and replaces what doesn't, probably incorporates the Theater show from Hollywood. It houses the restaurants and shops from the original.

The fairytale forest:
- Shrek mini land with probably a spinner and a play area.
- A unique Trolls dark ride/boat ride. (I hope for Troll Mountain)

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Status
Not open for further replies.