KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2) | Page 17 | Inside Universal Forums

KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love a family dark ride, but simply updating the IPs featured to be more relevant ones is a huge win.

I'm expecting whatever happens here to include lots of new shops/restaurants that hopefully improve the quality of options at USF.

I’m hoping they improve the visibility and flow of the land. Oh and I would love if they got rid of the stars in the concrete. That color combo/design screams 90s.

I’m also curious about how much of their word choice was marketing speak. “Immerse” sounds like a lot more placemaking and “make way for” sounds like some demolition. But again, could just be buzzwords.

Theme parks have been using immersive for just about every PR announcement now since Potter. Cedar Point got laughed at a few years ago on calling their food immersive.

Did Universal really have to mention KidZone Pizza Company is remaining? Not like that place is open outside of a few busy days and HHN lol

Dreamworks makes the most sense, and KFP strikes me as the most appealing property. I think Shrek is out until they relaunch the property, which will happen before too long. As has been said, a water-based system seems like it would fill a big void. I still think its nuts that Minions doesn't have an AA-driven dark ride, but until they want to redesign all of Production Central, the screen-based Minion stuff will have to do. If I got to chose, I'd take a heavily-themed Spongebob flume, but for a variety of reasons its going to be a property Uni fully controls. Gotta strengthen that brand cohesion.
Even though Shrek hasn’t had a film since 2010, he’s still vastly more popular than Kung Fu Panda. If anything, I see Shrek getting the e-ticket while Kung Fu Panda gets the rethemed coaster maybe. Shrek’s one of those rare evergreen properties that can cater to small kids while still attracting adults because of its well thought out humor and meme status. They might pull a wildcard and go with SpongeBob though since the store is staying, which might actually be the best option. Keep in mind that they said ‘animated’ characters, so that rules out any hope of an ‘epic movie ride’ in this spot.

What a U turn for Universal. Advance announcements. First Chucky, now KidZone. The world turns upside down. :lol: :rock:

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised when I checked my email this morning and had an email from Karen announcing this.

Well, we don't know what exactly is coming, so...

Ultimately though, as someone who's about to be a father, and knowing several parents who have the same thought process, my enjoyment will come from their enjoyment. I got a whole lotta other parts of Universal that I get to enjoy. The young kids don't.

I prefer a lot of things, but I know I can't get everything, either. Universal saw an opportunity to bolster a very weak part of its lineup. Ultimately, money talks and time is the enemy. They also aren't in a position to lose that area since IT IS the only kid-friendly spot, which is why I reckon AA and ET are staying open; but the bandaid needed to be ripped as they eye toward the spotlight of 2025.

Congrats on becoming a dad.

I don’t know if the coaster is staying and I believe the whole land is being razed minus Barney theater.

To me it makes the most sense to about raze it all. And since indeed it seems the idea is for it still to "kidzone", I'd say build a new playground, and have a couple of flats, and maybe a wild mouse coaster or some type of water ride. My assumption is they want this open by Summer 2024.

So some things I want to address.

1) Universal IS NOT competing for the same core audience as Disney. They have frequently stated that they families with 0-7 who loved princesses to go to Disney and then they’ll take it from there.
2) You know what kids say is the #1 thing they love on their Disney trip? The pool. Areas for kids to run around a popular with families.

Stop hiding behind families and kids with your boring ass buttered noodles tastes. And be mad at Disney for not building more rides of their type and not Universal.

1) Universal IS NOT competing for the same core audience as Disney. They have frequently stated that they families with 0-7 who loved princesses to go to Disney and then they’ll take it from there.
2) You know what kids say is the #1 thing they love on their Disney trip? The pool. Areas for kids to run around a popular with families.

Stop hiding behind families and kids with your boring ass buttered noodles tastes. And be mad at Disney for not building more rides of their type and not Universal.
Yes, the resort that built Seuss Landing, Toon Lagoon, and is building a How to Train Your Dragon land clearly has no interest in families with small children. I mean, its not as though the resorts move from a second-rate also-ran to a viable competitor to Disney was based almost entirely on the opening of the profoundly adult Harry Potter lands.

It is very fair to criticize Universal for their confused approach to family attractions. They are dedicating huge portions of their parks to family-oriented properties and then building rides in them that exclude large numbers of families. Even in this redeveloped "kiddie land," it sounds like the one actual ride will have a height restriction!

What's the most adult-focused property to receive a land in a Universal park? Probably the Monsters, which, as is being discussed in the other thread, is being intentionally made more family friendly. Minions and Spider-Man famously appeal primarily to the aging sophisticate.

Sometimes I’m jealous of the imagination on this board. Some of you are capable of predicting the future, designing a land, then disappointing yourself with your designs.

A Twitter press release with no info shouldn’t be so upsetting. When we get aerial shots from Bio, permits from Alicia, in park updates from IU, or leaked concepts from ThemeParx, I can understand and accept backlash. But as it stands, you’re currently tweaking over a complete unknown.

Yes, the resort that built Seuss Landing, Toon Lagoon, and is building a How to Train Your Dragon land clearly has no interest in families with small children. I mean, its not as though the resorts move from a second-rate also-ran to a viable competitor to Disney was based almost entirely on the opening of the profoundly adult Harry Potter lands.

It is very fair to criticize Universal for their confused approach to family attractions. They are dedicating huge portions of their parks to family-oriented properties and then building rides in them that exclude large numbers of families. Even in this redeveloped "kiddie land," it sounds like the one actual ride will have a height restriction!

What's the most adult-focused property to receive a land in a Universal park? Probably the Monsters, which, as is being discussed in the other thread, is being intentionally made more family friendly. Minions and Spider-Man famously appeal primarily to the aging sophisticate.
The only confusion in regards to Uni's approach to family rides is posters confusing Universal's "family friendly" with Disney's "family friendly".

Universal's version does not mean "a toddler and grandma can ride together". It means "tweens and their parents can ride this".

It's just astonishing to me how much people here are unwilling to accept that is who they are. They've never tried to hide it. They're wide open with the fact that they target families with kids 8 and up. If you want Disney-style rides that 4 generations can ride at once, go to Disney. That's their thing.

HTTYD has a coaster, inverting flat ride, and A PLAYGROUND.

Knew HTTYD was getting a flat, but no that it was inverting. What type of ride?

Sometimes I’m jealous of the imagination on this board. Some of you are capable of predicting the future, designing a land, then disappointing yourself with your designs.

A Twitter press release with no info shouldn’t be so upsetting. When we get aerial shots from Bio, permits from Alicia, in park updates from IU, or leaked concepts from ThemeParx, I can understand and accept backlash. But as it stands, you’re currently tweaking over a complete unknown.

Definitely, plus we are talking about Universal, I doubt they'll be doing something something inferior, so even if this will not be some grand addition with a massive e-ticket, it will still be good and I predict it will be a definite improvement. A much nicer playground will definitely be awesome, just look at how much more awesome Camp Jurassic is!

Reactions: Nico
When people say family attractions, they want something that doesn't throw them in front of a screen and utilizes a motion base for it. Doesn't have to be a Pirates/Small World boat ride or an omnimover, but it at least can't rely on the old tricks Universal has been using for the past 2 decades now as there is an obvious hatred towards simulators and screens.

Eventually, Universal will have to start catering to the younger (not toddler) audience as they grow in hotel room capacity. There's only so much growth in the tween/teen/young adult space before they have to branch out.

HTTYD has a coaster, inverting flat ride, and A PLAYGROUND.

Clown shoes arguments.
This is the whole point. HTTYD is a family-oriented property. Universal chose it to appeal TO FAMILIES. The fact that it contains primarily rides that exclude many families is a conceptual problem.

Disney says they're not competing with Universal. Universal says they're not competing with Disney. They're both lying.

Anyway, I think its very valid to wait until we have more information about what this change will actually entail and how it fits into Universal's long term plans. I was basing my opinions on what our great insiders have said, but its entirely possible I've misread them.

First of all, this is pretty mean-spirited.

Second of all, how does Secret Life of Pets in Hollywood exist?

Early prediction (just guesses):
IP:s
*Trolls (so far seems 'very popular' with USF audiences)
*Shrek (past love and future films synergy)
*Madagascar OR Super Silly Minions area. Even though it's split from Production Central.

...On the border : SLOP: Positive: New USF President spearheaded it in Hollywood. Plus it's a very good ride. Negative: Building timeline is probably too long for how soon
they want to open this land. And SLOP merchandise doesn't sell well in USF.

...No Kung Fu Panda. That IP ship has sailed. Land in Beijing was because of Chinese culture link, so that shouldn't be seen as precedent. Also, anything China is not especially popular in the USA of today.
...No Sing. Only because USF has been so adverse to live theater productions in the past few years, plus Animal Actors live theater is adjacent.
...No HTDYD, since it's dominate in Epic.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX

Why are you so nasty ?

Anyway please AT LEAST DEMOLISH the Woody coaster last time I saw it right after a refurb I was shocked at how whack it looked even for a kiddie coaster... Barnstormer or Hippogriff would be better it looks like a carnival kiddie coaster

Second of all, how does Secret Life of Pets in Hollywood exist?
This is like saying Disney is competing for the thrill seeker crowd because Rockin Roller Coaster exists.

Eventually, Universal will have to start catering to the younger (not toddler) audience as they grow in hotel room capacity. There's only so much growth in the tween/teen/young adult space before they have to branch out.

People have been saying this for a decade since Potter opened, and they just had their best quarter ever. And with Disney's hotels becoming more ridiculously overpriced by the day, I don't think they're going to have trouble filling rooms

Knew HTTYD was getting a flat, but no that it was inverting. What type of ride?

We’re rumored to get two of these.

Also, by all means, Blue Sky. Look at things in the current land that you hope they tweak. Joe and some others have mentioned bulldozing. Others have mentioned reskins. The former Barney courtyard for example - if it’s a trolls show I’d love to see some Trolls trees out front. I’d love for them to find a way to make the ground cohesive with individual IP sections. Mini esthetically themed lands.

All I’m saying is don’t drive yourselves crazy with pre-dissapointment.

This is like saying Disney is competing for the thrill seeker crowd because Rockin Roller Coaster exists.
Disney IS competing for the thrill seeker crowd. They just opened a GotG coaster and are about to open a Tron coaster. Before that they opened a Star Wars land with a (bad) thrill-oriented simulator. Their biggest construction push in decades has been heavily thrill-focused.

Status
Not open for further replies.