KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2) | Page 18 | Inside Universal Forums

KidZone Replacement Rumors & Speculation (Pt 2)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no reason to be this toxic over an updated KidZone. It's okay if they can increase their market share in families and younger audiences, even if its not their core demographic base. Surprisingly you can do both! :)

Disney IS competing for the thrill seeker crowd. They just opened a GotG coaster and are about to open a Tron coaster. Before that they opened a Star Wars land with a (bad) thrill-oriented simulator. Their biggest construction push in decades has been heavily thrill-focused.

Lol. TRON's single launch and a few helixes in a box is not going to move the needle for actual thrill seekers. Disney's coasters are fun enough, but to think they're competing for the adrenaline junky crowd is laughable.

Also doubly laughable is to imply that Smuggler's Run is a thrill ride.

I'm amusing myself at the moment at coming up with some IPs that kids really wouldn't have any interest in. Magnificent Ambersons sleigh ride? Kramer vs Kramer dueling coaster? How about a Fitzcarraldo flume?

There is no reason to be this toxic over an updated KidZone. It's okay if they can increase their market share in families and younger audiences, even if its not their core demographic base. Surprisingly you can do both! :)
Yes. and all should look at what KidZone is today, before it's torn down. The land is for the 'little ones', not the tweens. So, that does exist in a Universal that's about thrills. Soooo, there's always been room for the very young, though not a ton of room.
Yes, Universal is mostly about the older kids demo, but not exclusively, and KidZone is the proof.

This is like saying Disney is competing for the thrill seeker crowd because Rockin Roller Coaster exists.

You seem to continue to misconstrue my argument.

I don't want Universal to "compete" for anything, or to "shift focus." But by your own admission, they will add a mostly practical dark ride once in a (long) while if they feel motivated to do so. And I think it's what USF most needs at this point in time to diversify its offerings (we can dismiss anecdotal data all we want, and we can claim having so much simulatory/screen-based stuff is no big deal, but almost every person I've taken to that park in the last five years has commented, unprompted by me, on how same-y many of the significant attractions feel).

I have never said that I want Universal to suddenly build everything in the mode of Fantasyland, or something, because that's not what I want. But I really don't think hoping for one new dark ride that is primarily physical sets and animated figures is some kind of an extreme or ridiculous ask that means I don't want Universal to keep building thrill rides.

Lol. TRON's single launch and a few helixes in a box is not going to move the needle for actual thrill seekers. Disney's coasters are fun enough, but to think they're competing for the adrenaline junky crowd is laughable.

So we're just limiting our definition to naked thrill coasters? OK, Uni has 3 (soon 6) and Disney has none. But on those very narrow terms, the "adrenaline junky" will ALWAYS be able to get more bang for his buck at Cedar Point or Knotts - or the local Six Flags. Universal's claims to being more "thrill oriented" and the discussion in this thread rests just as much on rides like Jurassic Park, Transformers, and Simpsons. On those terms, yes, Smuggler's Run absolutely counts.

I have a feeling that Kidzone Pizza Company and Spongebob Storepants will go after the rest of the land opens, unless the plan is for them to be integrated into the land. I wonder if Hillenburg's death in 2018 would complicate a rights agreement for attractions beyond just the store.

• Sad
Reactions: TheCodeMan95
Yes, Universal is mostly about the older kids demo, but not exclusively, and KidZone is the proof.
Literally no one is saying that. Universal has always had kiddie areas. But that's what they've always been. Areas for the kiddies to run around and burn some energy while the target demographics enjoy the big rides. The point I'm making is I don't know why we're still gnashing teeth when that (largely successful) formula continues to hold true moving forward.

So we're just limiting our definition to naked thrill coasters? OK, Uni has 3 (soon 6) and Disney has none. But on those very narrow terms, the "adrenaline junky" will ALWAYS be able to get more bang for his buck at Cedar Point or Knotts - or the local Six Flags. Universal's claims to being more "thrill oriented" and the discussion in this thread rests just as much on rides like Jurassic Park, Transformers, and Simpsons. On those terms, yes, Smuggler's Run absolutely counts.
I mean I would not even come close to calling Transformers or Simpsons thrill rides either.

And no, I'm not talking naked coasters. I'm just talking about their thrill level. Disney's coasters are moderately thrilling at best. Just look at what Universal touts as a "family coaster" in Hagrid compared to what Disney would tout as one. The resorts are just in different leagues.

Reactions: anihilnation
I think a small upgrade is solid as there will always be more places a big upgrade could go(Toon lagoon, FF, LC, EU expansion pads) . and at least they aren't letting an area rot well they are wanting for the CapEX to come in.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
Early prediction (just guesses):
IP:s
*Trolls (so far seems 'very popular' with USF audiences)
*Shrek (past love and future films synergy)
*Madagascar OR Super Silly Minions area. Even though it's split from Production Central.

...On the border : SLOP: Positive: New USF President spearheaded it in Hollywood. Plus it's a very good ride. Negative: Building timeline is probably too long for how soon
they want to open this land. And SLOP merchandise doesn't sell well in USF.

...No Kung Fu Panda. That IP ship has sailed. Land in Beijing was because of Chinese culture link, so that shouldn't be seen as precedent. Also, anything China is not especially popular in the USA of today.
...No Sing. Only because USF has been so adverse to live theater productions in the past few years, plus Animal Actors live theater is adjacent.
...No HTDYD, since it's dominate in Epic.

SLOP replacing KZ would be the surprise plot twist lol. KFP would make sense for a playground: training ground. Can't see Minions, they should just keep that in PC, perfect space for it. What makes the most sense to me is to have a new land called Dreamworks, massive playground and a few rides. I have no idea what Trolls is, but the name alone seems like it might make a great playground.

We’re rumored to get two of these.

Also, by all means, Blue Sky. Look at things in the current land that you hope they tweak. Joe and some others have mentioned bulldozing. Others have mentioned reskins. The former Barney courtyard for example - if it’s a trolls show I’d love to see some Trolls trees out front. I’d love for them to find a way to make the ground cohesive with individual IP sections. Mini esthetically themed lands.

All I’m saying is don’t drive yourselves crazy with pre-dissapointment.

Thanks, looks like a great ride.

Bulldozing makes sense though since it is all old stuff. Curious George's ballpark I know is prone to flooding issues, which is why all the balls get put away at close. Another reason why I think this is feasible, is because then that area is good for quite a while, and then once Epic opens they can focus on bigger US projects like Simpsons, FF and MIB.

Reactions: Nico
...No Kung Fu Panda. That IP ship has sailed. Land in Beijing was because of Chinese culture link, so that shouldn't be seen as precedent. Also, anything China is not especially popular in the USA of today.

Once again going to counter on this. Kung Fu Panda is an IP that NBCUniversal is wanting to invest on; as this year, the Netflix TV show just began airing--and in 2024; Kung Fu Panda will be getting it's next sequel in the series. It's been popular enough to be warranted to be a definitive headline when USH did Lunar New Year (and currently have it as the great headliner for DreamWorks Theater); and they just invested a lot into the Beijing Land of Awesomeness.

Even if it's just going to be a play area, it makes sense to synergize with Kung Fu Panda's next theatrical film coming out around the time this seems to be opening.

Last edited:
Once again going to counter on this. Kung Fu Panda is an IP that NBCUniversal is wanting to invest on; as this year, the Netflix TV show just began airing--and in 2024; Kung Fu Panda will be getting it's next sequel in the series. It's been popular enough to be warranted to be a definitive headline when USH did Lunar New Year; and they just invested a lot into the Beijing Land of Awesomeness.

Even if it's just going to be a play area, it makes sense to synergize with Kung Fu Panda's next theatrical film coming out around the time this seems to be opening.
It definitely would make for a sweet playground!

It definitely would make for a sweet playground!

Honestly I think this could be the ideal coupling:

• Animal Actors - Reserved for a Expansion for the DreamWorks area to have a dark ride based on The Bad Guys
  • Fivel's Playland/Nuthouse Coaster - Shrek play area with a reskin of Nuthouse Coaster to Enchanted Airways
  • Curious George Goes to Town - Jade Palace Obstacle Course with perhaps a similar obstacle course to something as we've seen from Shanghai Disneyland or Nick Universe.
  • Barney Theater - Trolls live show
Keeping it to the three prodomiment IP's of Kung Fu Panda, Shrek, and Trolls allows them to capitalize and synergize with all three. Kung Fu Panda with both the Netflix show and the upcoming fourth entry, Shrek with Puss In Boots & The Last Wish and the upcoming Shrek revival, and Trolls with the continued merchandising sales of that franchise alongside whenever we get a proper sequel to World Tour.

Saves Animal Actors also for something that can round out the land in turn. This feels cheap, but it feels like something that can have a wide demographic for kids and families alike. As for why I'd think Enchanted Airways makes sense for a Nuthouse retheme..it'd be cheap. It'd be the equivalent of when Sesame Street came to SWO, and how they rethemed the Junior Coaster there to match it. The assets are there, and it probably wouldn't require that much to change and modify.

Last edited:

So what was the plan after Tron was to open?

Oh, two kids play areas in Epcot?

Status
Not open for further replies.