Magic Kingdom (General Discussion) | Page 37 | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Speaking only for myself:

- PeopleMover
- Carousel of Progress
- Space Mountain
- Haunted Mansion
- Hall of Presidents
- Liberty Belle Riverboat
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Splash Mountain
- Country Bear Jamboree
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Enchanted Tiki Room
- Jungle Cruise

I could name more.

Shorter version: I continue to visit the park because it has a lot of attractions I enjoy.
Fair enough. I like most of those attractions, but I think everything in between is where the park loses me.

Reactions: belloq87
And I have no doubt that going on a weekend during the summer would be an absolutely miserable experience, both for temperature and crowd levels.

But every time I've gone in the last ten years, I've been able to hit between 15 and 19 attractions in an eight/nine-hour day, and for that reason, I think it's still the park in Orlando that supplies the best value for the money.
Yeah, I agree with both your posts. The only thing I agree with on Perez is Tomorrowland being outdated. And I refuse to ride Space Mountain any more. Rough as all hell and perhaps the most 'overrated'
ride in WDW.

Reactions: belloq87
Interesting points, lovely for discussion.

It’s certainly not the best park in town like people imagine. The castle is cool, Junge Cruise, Splash, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, are all super winners still.

The park needs updating and a better Fantasyland than what they gave us a decade ago in order for it to be GOAT status imo. It’s good, but needs help. They make so much $ from MK they probably don’t care to fix things cause it will not change attendance numbers.

MK may not have the level of high thrill D/E tickets that Universal has, but where it excels above Universal is in the sheer number of pretty good C & D level attractions. They really round out the daily
experience greatly, and those attractions don't really have high line waits. COP, People Mover, Bears, Tiki Room, Mickey's Phil., HOP, IASW, Mermaid, Liberty Belle, numerous flat rides, plus others really
supplement the overall ground game.
And that's what's really lacking in the other three WDW parks and both Universal parks.

MK may not have the level of high thrill D/E tickets that Universal has, but where it excels above Universal is in the sheer number of pretty good C & D level attractions. They really round out the daily
experience greatly, and those attractions don't really have high line waits. COP, People Mover, Bears, Tiki Room, Mickey's Phil., HOP, IASW, Mermaid, Liberty Belle, numerous flat rides, plus others really
supplement the overall ground game.
And that's what's really lacking in the other three WDW parks and both Universal parks.
This is a great point, I hope Epic Universe is taking notes lol

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'l give my opinion as a local. I go to MK the most because the park has the most to do and it's a fairly relaxed as someone who goes more frequently that I like just going to the park, taking everything in, riding at least the people mover and doing a lap of the park before leaving. It's a park I can just really enjoy spending quite a few hours in, even when we go and ride absolutely nothing.

It also has the most to do out of all of the parks as well, although I do feel like the park needs an influx of modern rides. Tron is cool, but it's a short coaster. I feel like the park needs a modern classic dark ride much in the same vein of Rise of the Resistance.

Epcot is my second most visited park, I actually go there almost as often as MK. It's another park where I can just take a nice walk in the park and enjoy my time no matter what. I very rarely go to DHS and i've only been to DAK one time since Primeval Whirl was removed, and it's been almost a year now (which is about the same time i've had my current AP).

They really need to sell booze. The park has really nice ambience and it’s fun to go as an adult after having practically grown up there, but it can get too crowded to actually enjoy riding rides. Plus, the rides you can get on are severely dated and I just constantly get the sense I’m inhaling asbestos everywhere. But if I could sip on a beer by the water across from Tom Sawyer Island I’d be there all the time.

Instead, I’m mostly at Epcot.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
Well why don’t we compare DLP to DL since we are throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Also... Space Mountain. Holy Christ. My neck almost snapped right off. Charming theming, but that ride feels like it's trying to murder you. After fifty years, it might be time for a complete re-track.

Until adequate change occurs, I hereon refer to this park as... drumroll... Tragic Kingdom.

I do not have any info, but I do not think they would ever retrack Space Mountain. I truly wonder (w/ the way Tron is placed) if they would just level Space instead of redoing the track -- 'they have Tron now, no need for two coasters in the same location -- not sure they would go against the back lash they would get.

I do not have any info, but I do not think they would ever retrack Space Mountain. I truly wonder (w/ the way Tron is placed) if they would just level Space instead of redoing the track -- 'they have Tron now, no need for two coasters in the same location -- not sure they would go against the back lash they would get.

I think they will work on Space after Splash Mountain. Space Mountain is too iconic for them to get rid of it... but with current management, who knows if they decide to spend money on it.

Whenever the inevitable Space Mountain refurb happens, it'll probably be a complete overhaul of the ride and possibly making it similar to Disneyland's as I doubt they can get away with dual tracks and the proximity of some of the supports to the track.

They wouldn't get rid of Space Mountain any more than they would get rid of It's a Small World or Big Thunder. It's an iconic attraction from the very early days of the park practically synonymous with Disney Parks at this point. It'd be honestly unprecedented.

If anything they'd tear up the inside, but that facade is probably there for good, judging by the fact that Disney chose the awkward spot for Tron behind the existing coaster rather than in it's exact spot.

So, the D23 panel seemed to announce -- albeit in "Blue Sky" form -- an expansion located "beyond" (their word) Big Thunder Mountain, which would (potentially) include Coco, Encanto, and "villains" areas.

With the major caveat that the Liberty Belle not get permanently docked, this is by far the most interesting and potentially exciting thing that was discussed at the panel. A big expansion with multiple new attractions that are not replacements would be great.

But they took pains to repeatedly say that this is in the very early stages.

Also...

So, the D23 panel seemed to announce -- albeit in "Blue Sky" form -- an expansion located "beyond" (their word) Big Thunder Mountain, which would (potentially) include Coco, Encanto, and "villains" areas.

With the major caveat that the Liberty Belle not get permanently docked, this is by far the most interesting and potentially exciting thing that was discussed at the panel. A big expansion with multiple new attractions that are not replacements would be great.

But they took pains to repeatedly say that this is in the very early stages.

Also...
If they choose to expand without taking over TSI and docking the Liberty Belle, it is possible as shown below. Problem is, they would (once again) have to figure out how to get to the land i'm going to show as a possibility. They'd also probably have to reroute the Liberty Belle's path in order to create a walking path that could go full circle from Frontierland to Liberty Square around the back end.

FxcbjFX.png

Now obviously there would be a considerable amount of land used as backstage utility space, BUT there is absolutely plenty of land in that area up there to do what they seem to have laid out with Coco/Encanto mini lands and a separate Villains area. There's room for at least a few rides up there if they want. I outlined two areas with plots big enough (and in backstage space) that could house an E-ticket.

The land behind Mansion/Small World is considerably lower than the onstage part. It's have to slope down - which in turn would probably reveal the HM show building. As for the BTTR path, o built, it more than likely will begin near the Splash Mt entrance and continue on the opposite side of BTTR. It would require a new swing bridge. Personally, I'd not bet on any of this ever happening.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
If they choose to expand without taking over TSI and docking the Liberty Belle, it is possible as shown below. Problem is, they would (once again) have to figure out how to get to the land i'm going to show as a possibility. They'd also probably have to reroute the Liberty Belle's path in order to create a walking path that could go full circle from Frontierland to Liberty Square around the back end.

FxcbjFX.png

Now obviously there would be a considerable amount of land used as backstage utility space, BUT there is absolutely plenty of land in that area up there to do what they seem to have laid out with Coco/Encanto mini lands and a separate Villains area. There's room for at least a few rides up there if they want. I outlined two areas with plots big enough (and in backstage space) that could house an E-ticket.

Well if they move small world.....

I know I've been hearing this for at least 15 years, I once did a backstage magic tour and our guide who was the spitting image of a tiny human minnie mouse told me while looking at a park image in the utilidoor that there was plenty of room for expansion on the north end after I commented on the lack of expansion space.
I guess Tron shows they don't really believe the north end is a viable expansion space but it is always something to bring up.

Now build Fire Mountain you cowards!

I don't get the proposal for MK (it's nothing more than that). Why would Disney invest in their most desirable theme park instead of making the less desirable parks more desirable so it spreads the crowd a bit.
Villains is perfect for Epcot (leave the whole education-light thing out of the park and have a big Villain land, Superhero land (whatever they can use), Moan Land (incl the living seas) and a cars land. Add some smaller lands in-between to fill out the thing over time.

Separate World showcase from the main park and call it a separate theme park (comparable to a waterpark). Put a Hogwarts Express train from the parking lot to World Showcase and present it as a travel destination.

Or put more rides into AK, the park has almost no rides.

I don't get the proposal for MK (it's nothing more than that). Why would Disney invest in their most desirable theme park instead of making the less desirable parks more desirable so it spreads the crowd a bit.
Villains is perfect for Epcot (leave the whole education-light thing out of the park and have a big Villain land, Superhero land (whatever they can use), Moan Land (incl the living seas) and a cars land. Add some smaller lands in-between to fill out the thing over time.

Separate World showcase from the main park and call it a separate theme park (comparable to a waterpark). Put a Hogwarts Express train from the parking lot to World Showcase and present it as a travel destination.

Or put more rides into AK, the park has almost no rides.

I'm trusting that you were being sarcastic. I would argue that DHS has the greatest need for Villain's, Moana, and Encanto lands. Reign in the budgets and build all of these things and DHS suddenly starts looking like a park to rival MK in terms of attendance and duration of stay (all day and not just a half day or so). DHS would also become a GREAT answer to Epic Universe just by fixing the layout and adding rides.

Reactions: tielo and GA-MBIT
I personally think this was huge announcement considering most people thought WDW would get nothing. Yes it’s a blue sky proposal but most attractions/lands start off that way as well. Evidently Disney sees the need to expand MK’s capacity since it’s the busiest park.

DHS and EPCOT just had huge investments so it will be delusional to think they were getting something new. I just hope they are serious about committing some Capex towards this concept.

I'm guessing the Blue Sky mentions are just a sounding board to hear back from the public. . Disney creates some buzz, false as it may be, and controls their own rumors. We'll be lucky If one of those five Blue
Sky concepts ever sees the light of day. ....So, myself, I'm not playing into that game since it's basically a waste of time. :lol:

If they’re planning to drain Rivers of America entirely to expand the park, then they should give another shot at making Geyser Mountain a reality to add another ride in Frontierland. I think this was Disney’s first attempt of doing a freefall attraction before the Tower of Terror.