MSHI Expansion? | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yea, the Doom video is conceptually great. But the ride is bad, it's ugly, and even the video's animation doesn't hold up at this point.

Doctor Doom, to say the least, deserves much better.

The "jet technology" is exactly why Doom is a lackluster ride. It's a fun lift-off, but then the rest of the ride is an underwhelming, slow trip back down that takes up the majority of the ride time.

But then again a drop tower can do two things, go up and down. If the up is amazing and the down is lackluster then it's doing something right. In my opinion, the first drop of DDFF is the most thrilling thing in the resort, the antigravity feeling you get is beyond amazing, especially because the seating allows you to float for a bit. I'm not saying this is the best ride ever or even the best drop tower. I just see it as a fun little ride that shouldn't be ignored if you run out of things to do in IOA, it's perfect for what it is

- - - Updated - - -

Yea, the Doom video is conceptually great. But the ride is bad, it's ugly, and even the video's animation doesn't hold up at this point.

Doctor Doom, to say the least, deserves much better.

I love the character designs for the queue video, it's someghing straight out of late 90s Cartoon Network. This fits doom perfectly, especially the towers design. You can't do a more perfect ride plot for doom than what they did

- - - Updated - - -

I love the film but hate the state it's in. The doom bots looks great but the rest is lackluster.

Suit yourself, I love the lab extended queue. that tornado in a tube just screams silver age evil lab. The lighting is also phenominal. Don't tell me you don't get chills everytime the doom doors open and that music plays. Amazing mood

But then again a drop tower can do two things, go up and down. If the up is amazing and the down is lackluster then it's doing something right. In my opinion, the first drop of DDFF is the most thrilling thing in the resort, the antigravity feeling you get is beyond amazing, especially because the seating allows you to float for a bit. I'm not saying this is the best ride ever or even the best drop tower. I just see it as a fun little ride that shouldn't be ignored if you run out of things to do in IOA, it's perfect for what it is
I just prefer a build-up to a drop rather than being shot up and slowly brought down, creating a lackluster experience. Great examples of executing this in Florida alone as mentioned are TOT and Falcon's Fury.

I'd like to know how this will affect character appearances. Does IOA lose the Dr. Doom walkabout? Will we see additional characters added to match new theming and/or attractions?

I just prefer a build-up to a drop rather than being shot up and slowly brought down, creating a lackluster experience. Great examples of executing this in Florida alone as mentioned are TOT and Falcon's Fury.

They could always enclose Doom with screens, remodel the exterior to the Avengers tower, and have us taking a tour of the Avengers tower when Ultron attacks. The Avengers try to rescue us as the metal menace launches his assault. Remodeling the drop tower profile we could fall, be lifted up, or shot up depending upon the action happening on the screens surrouding us. That is assuming they want to keep the same style of ride. I will say this, an Avengers tower on the skyline would look more impressive than the current Doom towers.

I'd like to know how this will affect character appearances. Does IOA lose the Dr. Doom walkabout? Will we see additional characters added to match new theming and/or attractions?

IF all the speculation about Doom/F4/X-Men being dropped is true, I'd imagine all those M&G characters will be discontinued and replaced by Iron Man, Thor, Widow, Hawkeye, Loki, etc.

Could you imagine if they somehow managed to build a realistic/solid looking Hulk M&G? That thing would be super popular

IF all the speculation about Doom/F4/X-Men being dropped is true, I'd imagine all those M&G characters will be discontinued and replaced by Iron Man, Thor, Widow, Hawkeye, Loki, etc.

Could you imagine if they somehow managed to build a realistic/solid looking Hulk M&G? That thing would be super popular
That just reminded me of the Hulk walkaround they had in the early days of the park. The big foam suit. I wonder what ever happened to it as I believe it was the same underlying costume base as the Wolfman from Horror Make Up.

The build up for me is waiting for the doors to open and waiting to be shot off. That alone builds up more anticipation than TOT for me

The build up for me is waiting for the doors to open and waiting to be shot off. That alone builds up more anticipation than TOT for me

That's exactly why I hate it...I always get dragged on by friends who later ditch me once I get fasten in and laugh knowing I hate the ride and I'm just stuck waiting for the launch which takes forever....:mad:

Get rid of it.

I agree. That alone makes doom the better drop tower for me. TOT doesn't quite do it in the same fashion. it lacks thrill.
I highly disagree that TOT lacks thrill. The thrill portion of TOT may not last forever, but the thrill is way longer than Doom and the buildup is highly themed with great story telling along the way.

There's really no point in me continuing this conversation though because I absolutely hate Doom and nothing can convince me otherwise that it doesn't belong at the nearest Fun Spot. After all, "It's HUGE!".

I highly disagree that TOT lacks thrill. The thrill portion of TOT may not last forever, but the thrill is way longer than Doom and the buildup is highly themed with great story telling along the way.

There's really no point in me continuing this conversation though because I absolutely hate Doom and nothing can convince me otherwise that it doesn't belong at the nearest Fun Spot. After all, "It's HUGE!".
I Can assure you I don't think we were trying to convince you, at least not me. Only piggy backing what Cole said about doom. For what it is and where it is, it's a greta attraction. I once got on doom 14 times in a row. Probably won't do that again but definitely was fun!
While that is the case I personally in my own opinion love being launched upwards. I see it as, if you're going to take me up high and let me fall then it may as well turn into a coaster for speed thrill at some point. But the 0 gravity thing on doom rocks for me. I do however love TOT theming, but I never got pure thrill. It was only something exciting for me, partly because it is enclosed.
Doom is wide open and no story telling. That works for me in a thrill ride.

Also could it be possible doom may leave because the skyscraper coaster will include the tallest drop tower of some kind? So why would anyone get on doom with the sky-coaster/drop tower/ zip line right up the street? Maybe it plays a part?

damn the hate on doom is REAL lol but i understand many of the arguments and points people are making. Definitely welcome a bigger better ride just hope it has that thrill factor... with that said ONE argument someone made is that the launch is the thrill and the rest (sucks) for lack of a better word.. isn't that the same for every ride.,, i see people praising falcon fury but i mean on your way up its boring as hell and take much more than half of the ride time not to mention your out in the open. with barely any theme-ing.

It's a fun ride that you should go on if you did everything around it first, pretty much doom in a nutshell. By the way does anybody have any photos of the hulk walk around character? It sounds really familiar to me for some reason, probably scared the hell out of me as a kid lol

I know we always discuss a Tower of Terror ride for the Ministry of Magic, but I would love for them to design something similar for Avenger's Headquarters. Take Tower of Terror level theming and throw in superheros, the merchandise sales would be through the roof.

If any insider is allowed to share this, what exactly will the Avengers ride be?

This is an interesting question. On the surface, one might expect something vaguely along the lines of Spider-Man (since that's kind of Universal's M.O. for non-coaster thrill rides these days), but given that an Avengers ride would be - for all intents and purposes - right next door to Spidey, I can't imagine they'd go that route. It wouldn't really fit a classic dark ride model (though I'd love to see them try), and there are already three major water rides right up the walkway, so I'd think water is out. What does that leave if we're talking about a major E-ticket experience that would do justice to the characters?