NBA City Closed | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

NBA City Closed

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The press conference is at 11am today. My assignment desk is under the impression it is only about Wrestlemania 33 coming to the Citrus Bowl. But they could announce the HoF/Restaurant.

Since this rumor has been around for years, I wonder if stuff like the chocolate factory was intentional misinformation?

Edit: The Hall of Fame is also mentioned at the bottom of this article from 2/18/16

Update On WrestleMania 33 Location In 2017

Is the press conference being livestreamed anywhere to your knowledge?

Wait, they're actually announcing something today? I am so out of touch on this stuff...

They are having the official Press Conference for WrestleMania 33 today. With this morning's rumor of HoF, I would assume it would be today as well.

And no one should be able to claim, I told you so.... If this happens, it's literally because original plans were changed right before the point of no return.

They are having the official Press Conference for WrestleMania 33 today. With this morning's rumor of HoF, I would assume it would be today as well.

And no one should be able to claim, I told you so.... If this happens, it's literally because original plans were changed right before the point of no return.

There was a winky! ;)

Just a curious observation... So the article listed says "WWE still reportedly has plans to open a physical WWE Hall of Fame at Universal Studios Orlando" giving the impression that it was always the case, though insiders seem to tell a different story. Could that addition to the article simply be the authors misunderstanding about previous rumors and is bringing it up only to try and tie it to the the story of Orlando possibly being the winning city for Wrestlemania?

Just a curious observation... So the article listed says "WWE still reportedly has plans to open a physical WWE Hall of Fame at Universal Studios Orlando" giving the impression that it was always the case, though insiders seem to tell a different story. Could that addition to the article simply be the authors misunderstanding about previous rumors and is bringing it up only to try and tie it to the the story of Orlando possibly being the winning city for Wrestlemania?
Well we are getting Wrestlemani that was already announced. This is purely a formality, but they may also announce the hall of fame then.

Correct.

I know there was always rumors of a physical HoF for the past few years, but before NBA City's closure; we got word what the replacement would be (chocolate-related). If this rumor is true, it must have changed when Orlando starting going gung-ho about getting WrestleMania, which has only been for the past couple months; and would also explain why NBA City's construction seemingly stopped for 2-3 months. Most wrestling insiders said WM33 would be taking place in the new stadium in Minnesota up until Jan.

Correct.

I know there was always rumors of a physical HoF for the past few years, but before NBA City's closure; we got word what the replacement would be (chocolate-related). If this rumor is true, it must have changed when Orlando starting going gung-ho about getting WrestleMania, which has only been for the past couple months; and would also explain why NBA City's construction seemingly stopped for 2-3 months. Most wrestling insiders said WM33 would be taking place in the new stadium in Minnesota up until Jan.

I think that article on Orlando Sentinel also had the mayor saying they want to be on a rotation to return like every 5 years. Maybe a physical HOF might help with that.

I find this puzzling. Hasn't the fan base for WWE been steadily declining over the last several years? I wonder why Universal would want something that is well below the height of popularity it once enjoyed. Then again, I guess as long as the rent gets paid...

I find this puzzling. Hasn't the fan base for WWE been steadily declining over the last several years? I wonder why Universal would want something that is well below the height of popularity it once enjoyed. Then again, I guess as long as the rent gets paid...

Wrestling is always cyclical, it may be down/flat in the US but it has grown a worldwide audience compared to the late 90's-early 00's. But their former stars sell so.....

Reactions: SeventyOne
My god.

I would rather they turn it into a Planet Hollywood. Or a Rainforet Cafe. Or anything else on the planet.

I have bartended at Phillips Arena in ATL for WWE events (both fan stuff next door in Centenniel Olympic Park and in the Arena.) Not the kinda folks I'd wanna surround myself with en masse.

It just blows my mind because what non-WWE fan would say yes to eating there with all the other options? And ANOTHER sports themed restaurant? I know it has a fan base but it seems very niche and polarizing. Is this a locals move? Is wrestling massive in FL? (Would not shock me.)

I do remember the events I worked being insanely populated with English people who were megafans and that made me shake my head.

Reactions: Stitch_101
My god.

I would rather they turn it into a Planet Hollywood. Or a Rainforet Cafe. Or anything else on the planet.

Amen! I have never been and will never be a wrestling fan... So if this ends up opening, I will surely never go. The idea of Universal doing their own take on the Planet Hollywood style restaurant always seemed like a no brainier for CityWalk... Or hell, I'd love to see them do a Jekyll and Hyde Club style restaurant... Alas, it's not to be.

Oh well though, I never went to NBA City either, so I guess it wouldn't really effect me one way or the other LOL

Amen! I have never been and will never be a wrestling fan... So if this ends up opening, I will surely never go. The idea of Universal doing there own take on the Planet Hollywood style restraint always seemed like a no brainier for CityWalk... Or hell, I'd love to see them do a Jekyll and Hyde Club style restaurant... Alas, it's not to be.

Oh well though, I never went to NBA City either, so I guess it wouldn't really effect me one way or the other LOL
Funny you mention Jekyll and Hyde because I almost mentioned that concept as well.

It just seems like such a "HUH" thing, ESPECIALLY right next to the entrance of IOA. I wish they'd theme it more with IOA and the Port of Entry. A seafood restaurant themed to a marina or something.

Reactions: Stitch_101
I legitimately think this is someone faking an insider and reporting echoes of old speculation.

That was my first thought as well. And what better time then when Orlando is announcing Wrestlemania... Seems to me like an attempt to use current wrestling news with an old rumor to drive website clicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.