Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 132 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is why you invest in the Mobile Market with crap like this..something that would be very logical to have for Phones, while catering to the fans.
Now the question would be how to adapt other franchises as naturally as Pokemon Go.

It's not as easy as just saying "put Super Mario World on there!!!"

I'd be shocked if Universal doesn't push for Pokemon in Nintendo Land or the new park. I think Pokemon Go proves what some of us already thought: Pokemon is still a massive cultural touchstone. As powerful as Nintendo's other IPs, if not bigger.

I personally am not reading into the tech part. I don't think the tech will be implemented into the parks, aside from maybe some rare Universal-exclusive Pokemon (doubtful).

Uni's desire to get Pokemon into the parks probably just increased tenfold. I'm sure they wanted it before, but I'd have to imagine that desire has increased. I know Pokemon rights are kind of complicated, but I'm sure if they got Nintendo's blessing to use it, Pokemon Co. would allow for it. I think Pokemon Co. holds licensing rights, but Nintendo also holds a majority stake in Pokemon Co. I think. Gets pretty confusing.

I'd be shocked if Universal doesn't push for Pokemon in Nintendo Land or the new park. I think Pokemon Go proves what some of us already thought: Pokemon is still a massive cultural touchstone. As powerful as Nintendo's other IPs, if not bigger.

I personally am not reading into the tech part. I don't think the tech will be implemented into the parks, aside from maybe some rare Universal-exclusive Pokemon (doubtful).
I say they should save it for the third park along with Zelda. Let Mario and Donkey Kong be the stars of the first land in USF. Besides, it's only natural that they start it all since they're the ones who started Nintendo's fame in the first place.

Think of it as a wave 1 & 2 deal.

Now the question would be how to adapt other franchises as naturally as Pokemon Go.

It's not as easy as just saying "put Super Mario World on there!!!"

Two points: this wasn't developed by Nintendo or GameFreak and Nintendo has said they're developing Animal Crossing which is a very logical choice.

We didn't get Gringotts the first go around, but eventually it came!

Reactions: Mike S
Reactions: Mad Dog
Almost feels like I stepped back in time. Was born in '92, so I was part of the target audience when Pokemon launched and I saw it blow up all over the place and now it feels like it's happening all over again. Not that it ever became unpopular, but seems to be getting a resurgence in popculture. Everywhere I go People are either playing it or talking about it. Now they have to relaunch the show and trading cards :p.

Last edited:
Totally off-track, but I think Animal Crossing would make an amazing mobile game. As-is, it's basically a perfected version of many of the life-sim games we've seen on Facebook + phones. Itll be huge.

As for AC in the parks, I don't think it's a big enough draw. I could see it being used as a IP for some land-wide activity (like Agent P in Epcot or Sorcerors in MK). In fact, I'm a little convinced that some activity like that will come to Nintendo Land. Universal proved they could nail that with wands in Potter and I think that trend will continue, like stupid themed drinks, into most of their lands moving forward.

This is seriously impressive.
Pokémon GO Is Matching Twitter In Terms Of Daily Active Users – My Nintendo News
Since this VR app is so popular I think anything Universal would do for Pokemon would have to avoid any kind of similarity to it meaning animatronics. A Safari would be perfect for the third park.

I question whether half the people playing pokemon Go even know what Pokemon is, the backstory, or anything about it really. I think it is grabbing the Geo Caching fad and making it easier for people to do that type of thing. Honestly only one person I know that is playing it knew anything about Pokemon before playing it. I downloaded it and started playing because all my friends are playing and it gives you very little backstory on Pokemon. I still know nothing about Pokemon other than it has creatures.

Reactions: Galaxy Defender
I question whether half the people playing pokemon Go even know what Pokemon is, the backstory, or anything about it really. I think it is grabbing the Geo Caching fad and making it easier for people to do that type of thing. Honestly only one person I know that is playing it knew anything about Pokemon before playing it. I downloaded it and started playing because all my friends are playing and it gives you very little backstory on Pokemon. I still know nothing about Pokemon other than it has creatures.

Pokémon has been around for 20 years. I have no doubt the geo caching is playing a part in it's popularity but I thinks its the brand which is driving this. The name is why most my office has the app more so than anything. If it was themed to anything else, it would be very different. Also Pokémon in generally really doesn't have a backstory other than to become the Pokémon champion and catch all the Pokémon in the world.

Pokémon has been around for 20 years. I have no doubt the geo caching is playing a part in it's popularity but I thinks its the brand which is driving this. The name is why most my office has the app more so than anything. If it was themed to anything else, it would be very different. Also Pokémon in generally really doesn't have a backstory other than to become the Pokémon champion and catch all the Pokémon in the world.

How would that make a good ride at all then? I don't know. Maybe Universal will, but I just don't see it right now. Yes, people know the Pokemon name, but did they ever play Pokemon or watch it on TV prior to playing the app? I think a large majority have not. On the flip side, my husband refuses to download it and made fun of me for downloading it because it had the name Pokemon in it.

How would that make a good ride at all then? I don't know. Maybe Universal will, but I just don't see it right now. Yes, people know the Pokemon name, but did they ever play Pokemon or watch it on TV prior to playing the app? I think a large majority have not. On the flip side, my husband refuses to download it and made fun of me for downloading it because it had the name Pokemon in it.

There's the manga, cartoon series, and multiple movies to use for storylines or to draw inspiration from for an attraction, so there are plenty of ways to make this franchise into at least one attraction. Sometimes something without a set storyline is better for an attraction as well, as it allows plenty of creative freedom for the designers to craft their own story that fits even better into a park (see all the Disney attractions based on a simple concept and not a pre-existing story or IP). There will always be people that refuse a product, especially when it is seen as a "nerd" thing, but that's much more of a minority than people that don't know what Pokemon is/are, so that's not really going to weigh into any decision making process at all.

Totally off-track, but I think Animal Crossing would make an amazing mobile game. As-is, it's basically a perfected version of many of the life-sim games we've seen on Facebook + phones. Itll be huge.

As for AC in the parks, I don't think it's a big enough draw. I could see it being used as a IP for some land-wide activity (like Agent P in Epcot or Sorcerors in MK). In fact, I'm a little convinced that some activity like that will come to Nintendo Land. Universal proved they could nail that with wands in Potter and I think that trend will continue, like stupid themed drinks, into most of their lands moving forward.

AC could work as a little kids area. You fish, you catch bugs, you talk to animals, its cute and family friendly. Animal Crossing isn't popular with adults in the US but in other countries and with young kids its quite popular.

There's the manga, cartoon series, and multiple movies to use for storylines or to draw inspiration from for an attraction, so there are plenty of ways to make this franchise into at least one attraction. Sometimes something without a set storyline is better for an attraction as well, as it allows plenty of creative freedom for the designers to craft their own story that fits even better into a park (see all the Disney attractions based on a simple concept and not a pre-existing story or IP). There will always be people that refuse a product, especially when it is seen as a "nerd" thing, but that's much more of a minority than people that don't know what Pokemon is/are, so that's not really going to weigh into any decision making process at all.

:lmao: My husband is a nerd. The issue is we were in college when all the punk little whinny kids were playing Pokemon and it left a bad taste in both our mouths. We would go into the game stores and man, some of those kids needed slapped.

I'd say that about 95% of the people that I've seen playing it are around my age and played Blue or Red on their Game Boy back in the late 90s. It's huge with the 20-somethings for that reason.

:lmao: My husband is a nerd. The issue is we were in college when all the punk little whinny kids were playing Pokemon and it left a bad taste in both our mouths. We would go into the game stores and man, some of those kids needed slapped.

Ahhh, so more of a "kids these days" reason. An even smaller minority. :lol:

I still have a big binder full of cards at my mom's place with a few Japanese holographic ones. Should probably see if the app has caused prices to spike on those...