Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 133 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
How would that make a good ride at all then? I don't know. Maybe Universal will, but I just don't see it right now. Yes, people know the Pokemon name, but did they ever play Pokemon or watch it on TV prior to playing the app? I think a large majority have not. On the flip side, my husband refuses to download it and made fun of me for downloading it because it had the name Pokemon in it.
There are two very good ideas for Pokemon themed attractions that have been tossed around here. One would be a kind of show that brings Pokemon battles to life and the other an AA filled Safari.

Reactions: Mad Dog
How would that make a good ride at all then? I don't know. Maybe Universal will, but I just don't see it right now. Yes, people know the Pokemon name, but did they ever play Pokemon or watch it on TV prior to playing the app? I think a large majority have not. On the flip side, my husband refuses to download it and made fun of me for downloading it because it had the name Pokemon in it.

How many people just watched the Poter movies and didn't read the books? It doesn't matter.

These games sell GREAT: Pokémon - Video Game Sales Wiki - Wikia

Reactions: Mike S
There are two very good ideas for Pokemon themed attractions that have been tossed around here. One would be a kind of show that brings Pokemon battles to life and the other an AA filled Safari.

They need to get the guys who built these AAs for the pokemon attraction. Starts at 1:32

How many people just watched the Poter movies and didn't read the books? It doesn't matter.

These games sell GREAT: Pokémon - Video Game Sales Wiki - Wikia

Pretty much, Pokemon is a downright juggernaut of a franchise. Just when you think things might be slowing down, they end up releasing something which renergizes everything. In a lot of ways it's second only to Mario, and you can bet Universal will be doing what they can to incorperate Pokemon in any fashion.

A lot of talk on CNBC this morning on the Nintendo success with the above discussed subject.....That was a surprise since I very rarely see them (CNBC) talk about events in the gaming field.....So, I surmise, this is very significant.

Reactions: Macfr3ak and Mike S
A lot of talk on CNBC this morning on the Nintendo success with the above discussed subject.....That was a surprise since I very rarely see them (CNBC) talk about events in the gaming field.....So, I surmise, this is very significant.

The fact that it has passed Tinder and is soon to pass Twitter is truly something to behold..

I always thought it would be fun to upgrade the MIB tech to where you are almost throwing virtual Pokeballs...At the end it would show you what you caught...I'm almost picturing like an in-car Musion....I seriously can't wait for Nintendo to come haha

I always thought it would be fun to upgrade the MIB tech to where you are almost throwing virtual Pokeballs...At the end it would show you what you caught...I'm almost picturing like an in-car Musion....I seriously can't wait for Nintendo to come haha
If something like MIB is used for anything Nintendo it should be Metroid. Enhance it with AR to give the HUD visor view over physical sets and arm cannons as the guns and you have the makings of an amazing next level shooting ride.

Reactions: shiekra38
I'm not convinced that VR/AR will reach the parks for a very, very long time. Right now, those technologies are squarely in the tech company world (Google, Facebook). I mean, Pokemon Go was built by a Google spinoff. VR / AR will need to be a lot more approachable and a lot more stable before they'll be theme park ready. In the end, Universal is theme-park cutting edge. They aren't going to be spending time + money developing VR tools so they can build a VR ride. They'll wait until the technology has matured enough for VR tools to already exist. They'll wait for somebody to build hardened VR / AR hardware that can be used in a theme park setting dependably without having to have software engineers keep pushing out bug fixes.

It's gonna be a while.

I'm not convinced that VR/AR will reach the parks for a very, very long time. Right now, those technologies are squarely in the tech company world (Google, Facebook). I mean, Pokemon Go was built by a Google spinoff. VR / AR will need to be a lot more approachable and a lot more stable before they'll be theme park ready. In the end, Universal is theme-park cutting edge. They aren't going to be spending time + money developing VR tools so they can build a VR ride. They'll wait until the technology has matured enough for VR tools to already exist. They'll wait for somebody to build hardened VR / AR hardware that can be used in a theme park setting dependably without having to have software engineers keep pushing out bug fixes.

It's gonna be a while.

AR has already been in a Universal Park since 2012 and VR in a universal park this year. Secondly Comcast acquired and are board members for 3 VR and 1 AR company in the past 4 months.

WOAH... that is next level stuff....

Well, Holiday Inn already did something very similar to that. Back in the N64 days, many of their higher end hotels had hard wired N64 controllers attached to the TV's in rooms. You went to the pay-per-view channel to then rent games to play.

It's gonna be a while.

Someone should inform Six Flags of that! :look:

It's gonna be a while.

Tell that to USJ, Six Flags, Merlin Entertainment and Cedar Fair (and technically UOR already thanks to what was sounding of LT last year..). :saywhat:

Last edited:
Reactions: Macfr3ak and Mike S
The thing is with Pokemon GO they don't even necessarily need to build all that much to make it a huge draw. The super rares and legendaries aren't able to be caught yet. Make them specific to locations that make sense at the parks and you have a reason for those kids to want to make a trip to Universal. Just think Mew or Mewtwo only being available in Nintendo Land, one of the ghost rares in Mummy, one that lives in jungles at Kong/JP, etc. This could be a big draw with little to no major expense to anyone.

It would be even cooler if they did manage to make some fancy AA or something trigger when one of those were caught or if there was some Ultimate Gym that had additional benefits that you could physically see light up a different color with the guarding Pokemon sitting up top.

Reactions: greendude33

It's gonna be a while.

I must STRONGLY disagree with you on this statement. While i would to some degree acknowledge the technical set backs this frontier will experience I think that many tech giants HAVE BEEN working on this front for quite some time now. Including but far from limited to Facebook (Oculus), Apple, Microsoft, Google, Magic Leap, & Disney. notice those last two... i point them out cause i feel that these are the relevant players in the area we discuss (Theme Parks) that can make a significant difference. While its self explanatory that Disney's advancements may only affect it's own theme parks there are smaller companies like magic leap that have break through technologies and may be willing to work with outside companies like Comcast/NBC universal. while the advancements may not be visible to the general public.. have no doubt they are there and they are coming. this is the battlefield for the next decade in consumer technology and obviously in theme park technology.

we speak so much about immersive experiences in theme-parks.. we often worry so much on keeping users involved in properties and how to keep them concentrated on them (hiding show buildings and other lands from being visible within a land) we bash Disney and uni when they do a bad job at keeping us sucked into this fake reality they take us to.. well behold the technology that will fix that when you're riding Dragon Challenge, Hulk, and so on. If any one will do this right, it'll be Uni and i can bet on it.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
The thing is with Pokemon GO they don't even necessarily need to build all that much to make it a huge draw. The super rares and legendaries aren't able to be caught yet. Make them specific to locations that make sense at the parks and you have a reason for those kids to want to make a trip to Universal. Just think Mew or Mewtwo only being available in Nintendo Land, one of the ghost rares in Mummy, one that lives in jungles at Kong/JP, etc. This could be a big draw with little to no major expense to anyone.

It would be even cooler if they did manage to make some fancy AA or something trigger when one of those were caught or if there was some Ultimate Gym that had additional benefits that you could physically see light up a different color with the guarding Pokemon sitting up top.
Oh man, I just got so excited at the possibilities!!

Reactions: greendude33
:lmao: My husband is a nerd. The issue is we were in college when all the punk little whinny kids were playing Pokemon and it left a bad taste in both our mouths. We would go into the game stores and man, some of those kids needed slapped.
I used to run a couple of those stores. Imagine being around all that every day.