Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 140 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
My concern would be how easily people could steal them but it would take me back to the 90s when it seemed like every Orlando hotel had a SNES in the room with games in a vending machine in the lobby.

That's what incidental hold authorizations are for. If someone takes it, you charge them cost plus 20% and put a new one in the room that you already had in a storage locker somewhere.

I couldn't see them distributing the consoles on the front desk. That means the TVs would have easy port access for the NESes to plug into. Which means anybody with a laptop could be plugging in a DVD player or Netflix instead of buying an expensive on-demand movie.

These new machines are going to have HDMI outputs. A lot of newer hotels are building panels into the wall for people to plug in their own peripherals and some hotels are offering Apple TV or Roku. Honestly, hotels are not making money from in-room movies or mini-bars like they used to. People don't want to pay for expensive snacks and they'll watch movies on their iPad or laptop if they can't hook it directly into the TV, so they're focusing on satisfaction over add on money.

There are some really good games in here but some oddities. Contra definitely should have been used instead of Super Contra. Another odd thought, some of these games are known for being some of the hardest games around.

I worked at a used video game store when SNES and Genesis were popular. So we sold used Nintendos and games. I have to say Contra was WAY more popular than Super Contra. Castlevania was a good one they picked, really popular. But I don't think we ever sold a Balloon Fight lol So the list is all over the place from really wise choices to ones I am not so sure about. But this was a really wise move, I think it will be popular. Heck I want one :) I still have my SNES but it does not play well on HDMI TVs, so having an old game build to work on HDMI TVs should be a huge plus.

Christmas List here I come :)

There are some really good games in here but some oddities. Contra definitely should have been used instead of Super Contra. Another odd thought, some of these games are known for being some of the hardest games around.
Ghost 'n Goblins is really hard, as is Zelda II. Contra was hard as well. I also agree with Izzy that they should have had it included. I am very happy one of the Double Dragon games is on there.

There are probably rights issues or royalty payments would be too high to make the game worthwhile at the price point that they're setting the system at.

I worked at a used video game store when SNES and Genesis were popular. So we sold used Nintendos and games. I have to say Contra was WAY more popular than Super Contra. Castlevania was a good one they picked, really popular. But I don't think we ever sold a Balloon Fight lol So the list is all over the place from really wise choices to ones I am not so sure about. But this was a really wise move, I think it will be popular. Heck I want one :) I still have my SNES but it does not play well on HDMI TVs, so having an old game build to work on HDMI TVs should be a huge plus.

Christmas List here I come :)
I am the only person I have ever met that actually owned Balloon Fight. I really wish I didn't sell my NES and all of my games for dirt cheap when I was a dumb kid.

Seriously though these things are gonna get thrown through the TV when the new generation tries to play some of these games... Castlevania, Ghosts N Goblins, Ninja Gaiden, heck even Punch Out (Don't worry I beat Iron Mike Tyson several times). The only way they could have made it harder was if it was Mega Man 1 and add in TMNT and Battletoads.

I am the only person I have ever met that actually owned Balloon Fight. I really wish I didn't sell my NES and all of my games for dirt cheap when I was a dumb kid.

Seriously though these things are gonna get thrown through the TV when the new generation tries to play some of these games... Castlevania, Ghosts N Goblins, Ninja Gaiden, heck even Punch Out (Don't worry I beat Iron Mike Tyson several times). The only way they could have made it harder was if it was Mega Man 1 and add in TMNT and Battletoads.

I don't see these being bought for the younger generation. I think these will be bought by the parents of the newer generations. The parents will play and the kids may play some of them like Mario. So I don't think how hard or easy they are is a big deal.

Are games these days easier? I have gotten out of the Video Game world, so I only really know the older stuff.

I never managed to finish Mega Man 2, cleared every stage except the one that has the lazer beams crossing the stage and you have to fall down, I never managed to even though I used the time stopper.

I don't see these being bought for the younger generation. I think these will be bought by the parents of the newer generations. The parents will play and the kids may play some of them like Mario. So I don't think how hard or easy they are is a big deal.

Are games these days easier? I have gotten out of the Video Game world, so I only really know the older stuff.

I think the difference between now and then is that you can choose the difficulty now. I was playing crash last year and haven't been that frustrated in a long time. You also have multiple save points now, if you died in a game 20 years ago, you were back to the start of the level. I predict a lot of angry parents when they can't beat the game they used to and their kids are doing it.

I imagine this will be on sale in the parks.

Reactions: anihilnation
I think the difference between now and then is that you can choose the difficulty now. I was playing crash last year and haven't been that frustrated in a long time. You also have multiple save points now, if you died in a game 20 years ago, you were back to the start of the level. I predict a lot of angry parents when they can't beat the game they used to and their kids are doing it.

I imagine this will be on sale in the parks.
Difficulty level can make for a whole new sensation. I am playing Mass Effect 3 again, but changed the difficulty to hardcore, completely changes everything.

Found this on a gaming site, a stampede in Central Park last night over Vaporeon showing up. It's hilarious to see people just bailing out of their cars to catch pokemon.

edit: forgot there was a pokemon go thread, so if a mod would prefer to move this over there go right on ahead

Last edited:
Reactions: Joel and Mike S
Lord Nintendo IP ownership is so confusing with first party, second party, and then third party companies who produce games utilizing Nintendo owned IPs. Been trying to figure this out.

I think in the future however, Mother(Earthbound) will come to the park

sorry for double post but I'm pretty sure no one has mentioned three patents applications that were published for the public in the last few months by Universal that strongly pertain to potentially whats to come. Suggest someone look these up. I did remember Disneyhead mention something about projecting imagery on glass patent and someone else mentioned VR ride system but these three have nothing to do with those two.

US 2016/0089620 Published March 31, 2016 Universal City Studios LLC.
US 2016/0176421 Published June 23, 2016 Universal City Studios LLC.
US2015/0360127 Published December 17. 2015 Universal City Studios LLC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike S
Found this on a gaming site, a stampede in Central Park last night over Vaporeon showing up. It's hilarious to see people just bailing out of their cars to catch pokemon.

edit: forgot there was a pokemon go thread, so if a mod would prefer to move this over there go right on ahead

This, my friends, is the power of Nintendo.

Universal, make whatever preparations you need when this land opens. And when you finally get around to Pokemon? Hold on to your butts.

Lord Nintendo IP ownership is so confusing with first party, second party, and then third party companies who produce games utilizing Nintendo owned IPs. Been trying to figure this out.

I think in the future however, Mother(Earthbound) will come to the park

I'm not exactly sure on how they would do the Mother series justice for the theme parks; but that's just me.

I would be surprised, if this was being considered much more than Metroid; but that's just me.

I see absolutely no world in which Earthbound gets anything more than a Ness M&G. There's Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Animal Crossing, and Metroid that are more iconic then that.

This isn't just based popularity in the US. Metroid is not iconic or popular in Japan, Earthbound really is. Same thing with F-zero not being popular and fire emblem being very popular there. With most this rides being developed for both parks those non iconic characters probably will be shown in the parks and brought over later.

Honestly, I'd question if Kirby, Animal Crossing or Metroid gets anything. They're smaller IPs. It depends if they go for a "generic Nintendo theme" or if they go for a Mushroom Kingdom theme

I see absolutely no world in which Earthbound gets anything more than a Ness M&G. There's Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Animal Crossing, and Metroid that are more iconic then that.
^this.

Earthbound probably wouldn't even get that IMO. Maybe for a Super Smash Bros annual-type event, they'd bring Ness and Lucas in, but otherwise, the 'big 5' (Mario/DK/Yoshi/Zelda/Pokemon) and 'little 5' (Kirby/Animal Crossing/Pikmin/Star Fox/Metroid) are the only franchises I would think Universal would consider for M&Gs or attractions.
Honestly, I'd question if Kirby, Animal Crossing or Metroid gets anything. They're smaller IPs. It depends if they go for a "generic Nintendo theme" or if they go for a Mushroom Kingdom theme

I think they'd be included in the 3rd gate even if USF/IOA only get Mario, DK, Yoshi, Zelda and Pokemon (the big five franchises). Kirby, Animal Crossing and Metroid are popular enough that they'd be great supplementary attractions/mini-lands inside general areas of the 3rd gate.

Metroid and Star Fox would transition well next to something like Star Trek or Space Fantasy, for example. Animal Crossing or Pikmin could fit right in next to a Minion Island or Bikini Bottom. Kirby would look relatively fine next to a Fantasyland-esque DreamWorks area.

They're not big enough for the initial Nintendo additions, but once the big five franchises have been added to Universal Orlando, those three and maybe Star Fox/F-Zero will probably factor into future expansions due to either their popularity (the first three) or their perfect setting for a thrilling E-ticket (Star Fox/F-Zero).