Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 141 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
^this.

Earthbound probably wouldn't even get that IMO. Maybe for a Super Smash Bros annual-type event, they'd bring Ness and Lucas in, but otherwise, the 'big 5' (Mario/DK/Yoshi/Zelda/Pokemon) and 'little 5' (Kirby/Animal Crossing/Pikmin/Star Fox/Metroid) are the only franchises I would think Universal would consider for M&Gs or attractions.

I think they'd be included in the 3rd gate even if USF/IOA only get Mario, DK, Yoshi, Zelda and Pokemon (the big five franchises). Kirby, Animal Crossing and Metroid are popular enough that they'd be great supplementary attractions/mini-lands inside general areas of the 3rd gate.

Metroid and Star Fox would transition well next to something like Star Trek or Space Fantasy, for example. Animal Crossing or Pikmin could fit right in next to a Minion Island or Bikini Bottom. Kirby would look relatively fine next to a Fantasyland-esque DreamWorks area.

They're not big enough for the initial Nintendo additions, but once the big five franchises have been added to Universal Orlando, those three and maybe Star Fox/F-Zero will probably factor into future expansions due to either their popularity (the first three) or their perfect setting for a thrilling E-ticket (Star Fox/F-Zero).
Metroid would be perfect as a stand alone next gen shooter attraction.

I think they'll be holding back as it's still possible this can be a fad.

As in the game is a fad, or the franchise itself? I'm inclined to believe that yea, this game is more of a fad, but the franchise itself is going to remain strong. This game would not have become the sensation it became if it wasn't pokemon. It was the perfect marriage of a strong and popular franchise and a really neat concept. I think Pokemon should be Uni's top priority if it isn't already. Even if Pokemon Go fades, the fact that it became such a hit in such a short amount of time is a testament to there still being a fervor for this franchise (and ESPECIALLY the first generation of Pokemon). I knew Pokemon Go was going to be big, since I knew Pokemon was still popular, but I never imagined it would have done this great in such a short amount of time. That Pokemon can pull that many should tell Uni that this franchise is here for the long run, if the fact that it's already 20 years old and still going strong hadn't told them that already, and people will still care for it even if Pokemon Go fades away.

That said, I don't think Uni has to be in a rush to get something out. I'm sure they would have loved to have something to cash in on while the iron is red hot like it is now, but Pokemon (the franchise as a whole) will remain very popular regardless and the fanbase will still be there.

As in the game is a fad, or the franchise itself? I'm inclined to believe that yea, this game is more of a fad, but the franchise itself is going to remain strong. This game would not have become the sensation it became if it wasn't pokemon. It was the perfect marriage of a strong and popular franchise and a really neat concept. I think Pokemon should be Uni's top priority if it isn't already. Even if Pokemon Go fades, the fact that it became such a hit in such a short amount of time is a testament to there still being a fervor for this franchise (and ESPECIALLY the first generation of Pokemon). I knew Pokemon Go was going to be big, since I knew Pokemon was still popular, but I never imagined it would have done this great in such a short amount of time. That Pokemon can pull that many should tell Uni that this franchise is here for the long run, if the fact that it's already 20 years old and still going strong hadn't told them that already, and people will still care for it even if Pokemon Go fades away.

That said, I don't think Uni has to be in a rush to get something out. I'm sure they would have loved to have something to cash in on while the iron is red hot like it is now, but Pokemon (the franchise as a whole) will remain very popular regardless and the fanbase will still be there.

I was referring to Pokemon Go. It's instant success only shows how popular the franchise still is. You're spot on, I don't think universal need to rush into this and if it turns out that Pokemon Go is a fad, a bit of breathing room could only be a good thing.

I think Universal will consider this their ace in their pocket.

I was referring to Pokemon Go. It's instant success only shows how popular the franchise still is. You're spot on, I don't think universal need to rush into this and if it turns out that Pokemon Go is a fad, a bit of breathing room could only be a good thing.

I think Universal will consider this their ace in their pocket.
Don't forget Zelda.

Reactions: Scott W.
I definitely think that Pokemon Go, the game, will be a fad.

But, I think it proves that Pokemon, the franchise, is far from a fad. This game became one of the biggest mobile apps in the world 15 years after Peak Pokemon. Legendary (who has a deal with Universal Creative...) is looking at the movie rights. Pokemon as a brand still has a ton of power and Universal would be stupid not to take advantage of it.

Reactions: Teebin
Personally speaking, Pokémon GO is an game that many Pokémon fans have been wanting for years; in a strange way.

Whether or not it becomes a fad; it's too early to call it. Will we see it fasttracked for UORNorth? No.

Reactions: Mike S
I do believe that as a rule, these mobile app sort of games are fads, but this is one of the few games I could see people keeping simply because people my age care about the franchise so much. I don't think it will maintain it's popularity like now, where everyone is playing it, but it will be retained by a lot of people who care about the Pokemon, and who didn't get it just because it seemed neat and was popular.
But I agree with everyone that this absolutely shows the staying power and the voracious appetite of the fan base. You make a Pokemon land and they will come.

A long while back, @Teebin mentioned that Mario Kart may incorporate Screenz within the ground in some format.
I've seen stuff like that at a mall with overhead projectors and you could actually interact with the projections but I'm thinking what Universal does would be more advanced than that.