Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 143 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
From the Nintendo thread on Magic:
"Something big, like big big big is brewing at UO right now. Lots of industry big shots are getting wined and dined this week" - Jimmy Thick
(anybody else really think this is Jason Surrell's alter ego?)

Jimmy falls into 2 categories for people over there. You either see him as an annoyance, or entertainment. I happen to find him entertaining but most see him as the former :p. So don't take anything he says seriously. He does seem to not troll as much anymore, but I remember him from when I used to look over on magic more frequently a couple years back. Either way, if he somehow managed to get insider info then idk, ill get a tattoo of his face on my butt.

Reactions: Mike S
Could somebody explain what that quote means? Surrell's name doesn't mean anything to me.

Jason Surrel was a WDI show writer/producer that has done quite show concepts for GMR, One Man's Dream and Who Wants to be a Millionare for HWS. He is also author of several Disney-related books; and is currently employed within Universal Creative with the only project that we know for now, being "Race Through New York".

As far as what's being said on WDWMagic; I don't understand what that post means; Nor do I think that he is secretly posting tidbits like that.

The biggest issue with putting you in the Pokémon world is that it's REALLY hard to replicate the world in a ride. You can try to go the Pokémon Snap route, I guess, and do a "photo safari", but you can't really capture the capturing and battling in an attraction. I just can't see a "land" based off the property.

It's a lot easier to replicate things like Mario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong
Battling is simple: Pokemon Stadium where they can make a show of it and bring the Pokemon to life using musion. Of course people sign up to battle.

Reactions: chocotaco
Battling is simple: Pokemon Stadium where they can make a show of it and bring the Pokemon to life using musion. Of course people sign up to battle.

If there is something that can be an absolute guarantee; being apart of the shows isn't exactly something you want to do in a theme park environment.

I agree with @JungleSkip that it would be much easier to replicate IP's like Mario, Yoshi, DK, and tons of other Nintendo IP's; but I do think that if you we're to give to anyone the chance to do Pokémon with some justice, it'd be somewhat Universal.

Reactions: Mike S and Joel
eh, Idk. I personally don't think Pokemon would be too difficult. Maybe some people thought my idea on last page wasn't too good since no one is referring to it, but I think as a basic framework, which is all my post was meant to be it would be ok. Add whatever you want to that framework and you got something. I think Mike's idea has potential too. Just as a basic idea, I can see potential in it. I'm personally not into shows, I will usually check them once then never again (few exceptions), but I'm sure they could find a way to make a show like that and get people to engage and interact.

Another idea that I think could work, but hard to express since I can't really explain what I envision in my head... if only I had those talents, is a concept kind of like that discovery center dark ride rumor that we used to hear for Jurassic Park. Have Professor Oak, or some new Professor take us through a lab (through narration), and the ride would basically just deal with explaining the basics of Pokemon. Go in as if guests want to be Pokemon trainers, so the ride would explain what pokemon are, how they are captured, the different starters trainers get etc. Either keep the ride slow and informative whole way through, or idk make it exciting somehow by something happening. Maybe our ride vehicle accidentally smacks into a voltorb that blows up and blasts a huge chunk out of the lab and crazy stuff happens from that point. Either way, I think Pokemon has enough material there to make attractions out of, I have faith in Uni Creative

I personally think Zelda would be the most difficult. I want to see a Zelda in the parks, but I can't figure out what they would do as a land. I can't really think of something to build a ride around. But I may not be looking at it the right way, someone else may have a ton of ideas for the franchise

Last edited:
'Jimmy's' tone definitely changed around the time Surrell left WDI and went to UCreative
Yeah, don't know if it is related. But Jimmy Thicke went from being the biggest Disney cheerleader and very anti Universal, disappeared for a while and then reappeared, to now being a big Universal cheerleader & very anti Disney in his postings. Never thought of it that way, but who knows, stranger things have happened. Surrell did post a lot of stuff publicly under his real name. That may have been what got him in trouble at Disney. ...I don't know, maybe you're on to something though.

Reactions: Mike S
eh, Idk. I personally don't think Pokemon would be too difficult. Maybe some people thought my idea on last page was terrible, but I think as a basic framework, which is all my post was meant to be it would be ok. Add whatever you want to that framework and you got something. I think Mike's idea has potential too. Just as a basic idea, I can see potential in it. I'm personally not into shows, I will usually check them once then never again (few exceptions), but I'm sure they could find a way to make a show like that and get people to engage and interact.

Another idea that I think could work, but hard to express since I can't really explain what I envision in my head... if only I had those talents, is a concept kind of like that discovery center dark ride rumor that we used to hear for Jurassic Park. Have Professor Oak, or some new Professor take us through a lab (through narration), and the ride would basically just deal with explaining the basics of Pokemon. Go in as if guests want to be Pokemon trainers, so the ride would explain what pokemon are, how they are captured, the different starters trainers get etc. Either keep the ride slow and informative whole way through, or idk make it exciting somehow by something happening. Maybe our ride vehicle accidentally smacks into a voltorb that blows up and blasts a huge chunk out of the lab and crazy stuff happens from that point. Either way, I think Pokemon has enough material there to make attractions out of, I have faith in Uni Creative

I personally think Zelda would be the most difficult. I want to see a Zelda in the parks, but I can't figure out what they would do as a land. I can't really think of something to build a ride around. But I may not be looking at it the right way, someone else may have a ton of ideas for the franchise
The show is the simple act of watching two people compete in a Pokemon battle.
Yeah, don't know if it is related. But Jimmy Thicke went from being the biggest Disney cheerleader and very anti Universal, disappeared for a while and then reappeared, to now being a big Universal cheerleader & very anti Disney in his postings. Never thought of it that way, but who knows, stranger things have happened. Surrell did post a lot of stuff publicly under his real name. That may have been what got him in trouble at Disney. ...I don't know, maybe you're on to something though.
He's also made posts suggesting that he now works for Universal and is some sort of VIP. It's hilarious.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Joel
Yea I know, I was saying that I think your idea has potential. I'm personally not into shows, but I know others are and I think something like that could work
Set it up like a tournament with different rounds taking place throughout the day. The winner at the end receives a special prize. Maybe unlimited Exprees Pass for them and their party for the rest of their stay or any future visit and something that celebrates that they're the Pokemon Champion.

I don't think that'd be entertaining for ANYONE watching it, TBH. I don't want to sit back and watch two random people use fake pokemon to battle.
How about 4D effects? The moves "Earthquake" and "Rainy Day" come to mind.

If still no then I guess there's no battling component to "Pokemon Land." Even without that element I have a strong hunch the land will happen anyway. Too much to gain to just say, "well, we can't do catching or battling so no Pokemon."

Reactions: chocotaco
How about 4D effects? The moves "Earthquake" and "Rainy Day" come to mind.

If still no then I guess there's no battling component to "Pokemon Land." Even without that element I have a strong hunch the land will happen anyway. Too much to gain to just say, "well, we can't do catching or battling so no Pokemon."

If they ever have the ability to do Pokémon, I don't doubt they will build something. I just can't see more than a Safari-type ride working. Battle-type show excludes too many/would take up too much of the day for the guests participating. It'd be a slightly different version of American Idol Experience.

The show is the simple act of watching two people compete in a Pokemon battle.

He's also made posts suggesting that he now works for Universal and is some sort of VIP. It's hilarious.
Could be one & the same. Plus he's a writer, & Jimmy Thicke is certainly a character out of a theme park story soooooo ;)

If they ever have the ability to do Pokémon, I don't doubt they will build something. I just can't see more than a Safari-type ride working. Battle-type show excludes too many/would take up too much of the day for the guests participating. It'd be a slightly different version of American Idol Experience.
You just know big Pokemon fans would line up for it though no matter what :)