Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 144 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I gotta agree that an indoor, Kilimanjaro Safari-style attraction with some interactive/shoot 'em up dark ride elements and lavish sets/AAs would be the best way to build a Pokemon E-ticket.

The question is whether Pokemon would go into the MIB/Springfield plot, serve as a Toon Lagoon replacement or be incorporated into the 3rd gate. There's no real concrete option, but the success of Pokemon Go has to have Comcast execs contemplating where Pokemon could fit into Universal Orlando

Reactions: snayberry
I gotta agree that an indoor, Kilimanjaro Safari-style attraction with some interactive/shoot 'em up dark ride elements and lavish sets/AAs would be the best way to build a Pokemon E-ticket.

The question is whether Pokemon would go into the MIB/Springfield plot, serve as a Toon Lagoon replacement or be incorporated into the 3rd gate. There's no real concrete option, but the success of Pokemon Go has to have Comcast execs contemplating where Pokemon could fit into Universal Orlando
Lost Continent is another good choice.

Reactions: chewbacca1995
I don't think we'll see Pokemon in USF's Nintendo area at all. I think it will get it's own area in the 3rd park. They'll figure out a way to do a land.

After all, you guys are always saying story isn't important in theme park rides, right? ;)

Reactions: Mike S
I don't think we'll see Pokemon in USF's Nintendo area at all. I think it will get it's own area in the 3rd park. They'll figure out a way to do a land.

After all, you guys are always saying story isn't important in theme park rides, right? ;)

I agree, I think it would likely be used in the new park. Also, Pokemon does have some story. Not that I think anyone plays it for the story, but it is there. The series has its own cast of villains looking to use Pokemon to do devious things, and then you've got those that want to stop those people. Team Rocket for example was a big part of the 1st game (2nd one to? I forget) and the anime.

Anyways, it was rumored that Legendary was trying to get rights to a Pokemon movie, and it looks like it just became official :'Pokemon' Movie Rights Land at Legendary - Hollywood Reporter

"Legendary and The Pokemon Co. on Wednesday announced that they will launch the first Pokemon live-action film franchise based on Detective Pikachu, a new character in the Pokemon universe."

We'll see how it goes. On first glance doesn't sound like something I'd be interested in, but then again a Pokemon movie isn't really something I want in general. Maybe it will turn out great though, just have to wait and see

Reactions: Nick
I don't know the scope they would be willing to do, if at all, but I remember people thinking that many of the innovations seen in Harry Potter weren't possible. I am a part of the generation that grew up with the games and anime. I remember the show from it's earlier incarnation. I wasn't a massive fan as a kid but even I played the games, and I would be one of the first people itching to battle and explore a land. I think the demand is absolutely there, so the difficulty is simply a question of return on investment and I can guarantee you it'd be close to the merch sales in the WWOHP. The show is still on.
I really can't see this not happening, and let me be the first to say that if they could, it'd be neat to have an Ollivander's style show wherein people got to get their starter pokemon.

Japan seems like it will be getting an announcement possibly by the end of the year. That doesn't mean that we will see news for Orlando and Hollywood's iterations.

Yea, you'll get Japan this year, which will give you an idea of what's coming to Orlando, but I doubt you get an Orlando announcement anytime before next summer.

I'm sitting here reading these thoughts on a Pokemon attraction, and can't believe no one has brought up what I think is a rather intriguing idea/story from the original games. Mewtwo. @chocotaco really came close to hitting on the idea with his JP Discovery Center idea, and gave my idea a bit more finality. Of course, you have the issue of a very similar storyline/tone to almost every other major attraction at Universal, but that hasn't seemed to be a real issue yet.

The basic idea is you enter a Pokemon Labs building for a "guided tour," meet Professor Oak at the start (queue and first few scenes), experience calm/fun interactions with "cute" Pokemon, moving on to seeing the fossilized Pokemon like Omanyte, Kabuto, and Aerodactyl being brought to life (this could even be a randomized scene, picking one of the 3 each cycle) with some slightly more intense "scares," and finally you get to their latest experiment, genetic splicing of Pokemon DNA. You're just in time to see them bring to life what they hope to be their first successful spliced Pokemon, Mewtwo. Of course, things go horribly wrong, he destroys the lab and you barely escape. At the very end you catch a glimpse of Mew, and it becomes clear it was Mew that helped your tour group to escape. This gives you an experience with a variety of Pokemon, major characters, and a full attraction experience (ideally in the 6-7 minute range). Of course, that's just me spitballing pretty quickly.

A Pokemon land would honestly be a dream come true...I dare say, I would like it more than Potter

SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

latest

Reactions: Stitchie