Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 142 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
:lmao:.....What I love about the Simpson's & South Park. They are never politically correct. If they can get a laugh out of it, they will do it...... The Simpson's ride pre shows are some of the funniest theme park skits in existence.
I'm hoping South Park brings back Chinpokomon :lmao:

Reactions: Mad Dog
It's too bad the old HTF threads got swept away with the site changes (or at least I think they did).

There was quite the rousing debate around what the mystery Kidzone IP would be. This is well before we knew of Nintendo... I recall a massive argument broke out specifically that the IP might be Pokemon. The feasibility and relevance was viciously called into question and debated for many, many pages...

Would be an amusing exercise to look back upon.

That would be absolute genius.

Just goes to show how much further this deal could go.
But it really wouldn't be genius. Universal wants people in the parks spending money, not in the rooms playing Nintendo.

Where I see the deal having completely taken off is the overwhelming popularity of Pokemon Go. If there was ever any doubt that the demand was there for a Pokemon land in the 3rd park, this game proved it.

Apparently, Wikipedia says that Pokemon sells about $2.1B in merch a year. And I don't know about you, but I don't see Pokemon merch anywhere in the States.

The closest comparison I could find (love to see more!) is that a slow Star Wars year sells about $2B in merch.

So, Pokemon is basically at level Star Wars was before Disney bought it.

Source: Star Wars: Return of the Revenue

Apparently, Wikipedia says that Pokemon sells about $2.1B in merch a year. And I don't know about you, but I don't see Pokemon merch anywhere in the States.

The closest comparison I could find (love to see more!) is that a slow Star Wars year sells about $2B in merch.

So, Pokemon is basically at level Star Wars was before Disney bought it.

Source: Star Wars: Return of the Revenue
Pokemon is all over the US. Walk in a Toys R Us and they have a whole aisle of Pokemon items. Build a bear had a Pikachu just recently also.

I was in small store retail when Pokemon first hit. Kids playing the game were constantly asking for merchandise and Japanese Pokemon cards (CCG). No one anticipated the demand, so there was no merchandise available. We sold Japanese merchandise to meet demand.

People would talk to us about the Pokemon "fad". It was not a fad. It was a phenomenon that went on for years. Even once the initial insanity eased off demand was always there. That demand has been there to this day.

Pokemon Go might be a phenomenon or a fad, but either way the strength of the Pokemon franchise will go on. Put Pokemon on Universal shelves and it will sell. Put a ride or land in the parks and fans will show up
N3DS_PokemonSuperMysteryDungeon_MainIllustration_png_jpgcopy.0.0.jpg
for years to come.

Harry Potter isn't a game but it puts you into a world, just like Pokémon does and HP is still wildly popular especially when Universal allows you to be in the world at the parks. Now imagine if Universal can put you into the Pokémon world at the parks.

Reactions: Mike S
The biggest issue with putting you in the Pokémon world is that it's REALLY hard to replicate the world in a ride. You can try to go the Pokémon Snap route, I guess, and do a "photo safari", but you can't really capture the capturing and battling in an attraction. I just can't see a "land" based off the property.

It's a lot easier to replicate things like Mario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong

Here's an insider story. Wizards of the Coast, the maker of Magic the Gathering collectible card game (CCG), got the rights to do an English translation version of the Pokemon CCG. WotC thought this game would not do well. Not only was it lightly promoted but the person that got them the rights was let go by the company in a downsizing before the game released in the US.

Of course it was a huge hit, selling 10 times higher than the initial forcast. It helped WotC get CCGs in mass market stores and funded their purchase of the Game Keeper chain of retail stores.

The biggest issue with putting you in the Pokémon world is that it's REALLY hard to replicate the world in a ride. You can try to go the Pokémon Snap route, I guess, and do a "photo safari", but you can't really capture the capturing and battling in an attraction. I just can't see a "land" based off the property.

It's a lot easier to replicate things like Mario, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong

I think it would be kind of cool to have a mix of a safari type ride and Splash Mountain. Something like first half of ride is a calm setting, in a small boat that checks out different areas where you see different Pokemon (example one show scene takes you by a marshland where you see totodiles and Squirtles), and travel through different landscapes seeing different types of Pokemon. Then like half way through, course gets diverted, we have fallen into a trap laid out by Team Rocket who is convinced someone on board has a Pikachu (or whatever pokemon/thing they are after) and Ash happens to be there with his Pokemon to save the day. As long as there is a Charizard somewhere that breaths fire I will like it! :p

Reactions: Joel and Stitchie
From the Nintendo thread on Magic:
"Something big, like big big big is brewing at UO right now. Lots of industry big shots are getting wined and dined this week" - Jimmy Thick
(anybody else really think this is Jason Surrell's alter ego?)