Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 159 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Been daydreaming about this today and thinking about what interpretation of the mario universe I would actually like to see realised in a Nintendo land. Part of me would love to see a retro NES graphics type landscape with old school blocks and 8-bit square characters/trees etc, but in reality, I really think the brightness and aesthetic of the Super Mario World (Super Nintendo) era would create a timeless and bright land that would be most pleasing to fans and those with only a passing knowledge. In reality, I imagine we'll get a mixture of both, with the characters themselves resembling the more 'Disney-esque' look of the last few console generations.
The more and more that I think about it though, daaaaamn did Universal do well with getting this deal done. Absolutely phenomenal courting.

Been daydreaming about this today and thinking about what interpretation of the mario universe I would actually like to see realised in a Nintendo land. Part of me would love to see a retro NES graphics type landscape with old school blocks and 8-bit square characters/trees etc, but in reality, I really think the brightness and aesthetic of the Super Mario World (Super Nintendo) era would create a timeless and bright land that would be most pleasing to fans and those with only a passing knowledge. In reality, I imagine we'll get a mixture of both, with the characters themselves resembling the more 'Disney-esque' look of the last few console generations.
The more and more that I think about it though, daaaaamn did Universal do well with getting this deal done. Absolutely phenomenal courting.
They used Seuss to get Potter and now Potter to get Nintendo.

Eventually, LotR will happen. Bet on it.

I feel as though that would run of the risk of looking too "Minecrafty". Pixel art in a 3D environment just seems incredibly difficult to make aesthetically pleasing.

Reactions: Joel and Mike S
I feel as though that would run of the risk of looking too "Minecrafty". Pixel art in a 3D environment just seems incredibly difficult to make aesthetically pleasing.

That actually kinda raises a good point in itself. I wonder if anyone has ever had any serious sort of negotiations with Microsoft in terms of Minecraft and other properties they now own for Theme Park use?

Probably not until Chris Tolkien drops dead :/
I think that despite the strides that Uni has gone to please IP holders like Nintendo, Rowling, and WB, the Tolkien estate would unfortunately be less likely to hand over any rights after the lackluster result of The Hobbit films. Sucks, as much as I would die for there to be any LOTR presence in the parks, that I realistically don't see it happening in the next decade.

That actually kinda raises a good point in itself. I wonder if anyone has ever had any serious sort of negotiations with Microsoft in terms of Minecraft and other properties they now own for Theme Park use?

FWIW, Warner Bros. is slated to release "Minecraft: The Movie" in 2019.

‘Minecraft’ Movie Release Date Set | Variety

Last edited:
It'll be interesting to see how Minecraft does as a movie. If it does really well and becomes a franchise, Universal will almost certainly pick it up for the parks. Universal seems to be acting as WB's theme park chain in some respects.

Plus, that'll open up Microsoft to licensing up some of their other IPs (cough Halo cough)

Brother, the day that happens, I'll buy you and every other poster on these forums a pint at The Prancing Pony. Would be an absolute dream come true!

Just gotta get it past those pesky Tolkien's first...
Maybe you need to invite the elder Tolkien and get him drunk at the Prancing Pony. A few dancing Philly's might help things out. Have a contract handy. :cheers:

Something I just thought. Maybe @Teebin knows since it's his area of passion. How do we think plant life will be handled in this area? If it's completely immersive, will it be fake/real, will there be none like Diagon?

There are real trees in Springfield right?

Reactions: Joel
Something I just thought. Maybe @Teebin knows since it's his area of passion. How do we think plant life will be handled in this area? If it's completely immersive, will it be fake/real, will there be none like Diagon?

There are real trees in Springfield right?
piranha_plant_by_yoshigo99-d4gof3o.png
donkey_kong_country.jpeg
SuperNintendoYoshisIsland-620x.jpg

Edit: They're not plants but you can't forget the classic Mario hills :)
hills1.png

Last edited:
That Middle Earth theme park is supposedly still on track to open in 2018 in Victoria Spain. It is small in scale, but it got the rights. If they can do it then surely Universal can pull it off.

The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Theme Park Preview — moviepilot.com

Errrr... That article got a LOT wrong. The "Lord of the Rings" theme park to open in Spain is going to be exactly that... A "themed" park. Themed to the Shire... With no rides. It also has no ties to the movies and has no involvement in the part by Peter Jackson... As a mater of fact, the last article I can find before dated before that one said that the park may be hit with legal action by Warner Brothers over trademark issues... So yeah.

As far as actual LOTR theme park news goes, the actual theme park rights are still caught up in the legal dispute between The Tolkien Estate and Middle Earth Enterprises/Warner Brothers.

Anyways, back to Nintendo LOL

Reactions: Mike S