Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 164 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
SUPER MARIO RUN | Nintendo

Releases December 2016. As expected. Free to download with additional paid content. Uh..., that's not what the keynote said earlier...
Yeah, what gives?

Edit: actually I just found this.
iOS users will be able to download and enjoy a portion of Super Mario Run for free and will be able to enjoy all of the game content available in this release after paying a set purchase price.
Super Mario Run Coming to iPhone & iPad This December | Business Wire

Sounds like we can download some of it for free but if we want the full game we'll have to pay. Pretty reasonable.

Last edited:
I agree. It looks pretty fun.

As they should. This is just an iPhone game. No need to waste too many development resources.
Yeah that's true. I just hope we see more than plains, cave, and castle as level themes. After playing Mario Maker, I crave the additional themes I.e. Forest, Sky, etc.

Also, there seems to be some sort of build your own mushroom kingdom aspect to the app. I predict that you'll build and create villages for the toads using the world map engine which could be really cool!

Or an every changing facade where you change play through levels you build on your phone and see them in real life as you walk through the World of Mario.
The description from Nintendo sounds like you are building you're own mushroom kingdom for the toads you impress while playing the battle mode. I don't think they will let you make custom levels (although you never know) so it doesn't clash with Mario Maker 3DS. Also, I highly doubt that the game will have an AR component to it.

The description from Nintendo sounds like you are building you're own mushroom kingdom for the toads you impress while playing the battle mode. I don't think they will let you make custom levels (although you never know) so it doesn't clash with Mario Maker 3DS. Also, I highly doubt that the game will have an AR component to it.

I'm just spitballing and I think they will as part of the paid portion. Remember some of the game is free and the rest is played. You upload your level to a server and see it come to life around you are Universal.

Reactions: Brer Oswald
This is like Nintendo Christmas in September for you guys. :thumbsup:
It's just an app. Only three things would feel like Nintendo Christmas to me.

1. Full reveal of Nintendo Land.

2. The NX revealed to be an amazing piece of hardware and some kind of guarantee that it won't be a repeat of the Wii U.

3. Metroid Prime 4 or any Metroid game that's actually good. We've done our waiting Nintendo. Almost 10 whole years of it :angry::saw::fist::cry:

2. The NX revealed to be an amazing piece of hardware and some kind of guarantee that it won't be a repeat of the Wii U.

3. Metroid Prime 4

1.) As usual, it seems to look into possibly Osaka later in the year

2.) Nintendo stated that they realized that the Wii U backfired and that they don't want to make that mistake again..I guess we'll see on that one.

3.)

3. Metroid Prime 4 or any Metroid game that's actually good. We've done our waiting Nintendo. Almost 10 whole years of it :angry::saw::fist::cry:
So the App was just like getting your stocking filled, and now you're waiting for the big Xmas presents. And we're not talking about a Red Ryder BB Gun. :)

Reactions: Mike S
1.) As usual, it seems to look into possibly Osaka later in the year

2.) Nintendo stated that they realized that the Wii U backfired and that they don't want to make that mistake again..I guess we'll see on that one.

3.)

1. I know. Just stating what would actually feel like Christmas over an App announcement.

2. Yes we will.

3. I know about that too. Doesn't mean much after how long we waited since the secret ending of Prime 3. At this point I'm only going to trust Retro Studios with the series. No one, not even the original creator, has done anything close since.

3. I know about that too. Doesn't mean much after how long we waited since the secret ending of Prime 3. At this point I'm only going to trust Retro Studios with the series. No one, not even the original creator, has done anything close since.

Because Nintendo leaders don't QC Metroid as much as the other games as its not big in Nintendo's main and largest market at all which is Japan. Mario/Pokemon/Zelda are the only nintendo franchises popular in both countries. They prefer Earthbound over there while Earthbound did not well in the US sales wise despite great reviews. Metroid did great here and they didn't really enjoy it over there.

1. I know. Just stating what would actually feel like Christmas over an App announcement.

2. Yes we will.

3.) Something I've noticed since Federation Forces launch is more that it settled the stage for Prime 4. Do I think that Prime 4 is happening? Yes. The NX needs to be a console that has several games that fans of Nintendo would jump on for, as Metroid, particularly Prime is on that would get intrigue.

Because Nintendo leaders don't QC Metroid as much as the other games as its not big in Nintendo's main and largest market at all which is Japan. Mario/Pokemon/Zelda are the only nintendo franchises popular in both countries. They prefer Earthbound over there while Earthbound did not well in the US sales wise despite great reviews. Metroid did great here and they didn't really enjoy it over there.

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't understand the demand for the Mother series to come back. At least, as how I'd see it; even with Japan loving it. Perhaps it's just me, but I'd rather want to see them do another IP and not Mother.

Actually I think their largest market based on sales would be the US. Japan is just home.

Perhaps it's just me, but I don't understand the demand for the Mother series to come back. At least, as how I'd see it; even with Japan loving it. Perhaps it's just me, but I'd rather want to see them do another IP and not Mother.

Its weird quirky and really funny. Its a game that doesn't take itself serious and can tell its kinda a joke and extremely friendly for all players young and old. A cult favorite. Its hard to create new IPs that are hits are the market is so saturated that it would be safe to just do Mother. I mean look at Nintendo's best selling franchises WW:

1.Mario (100 million + copies)
2. Wii (Wii Sports, Fit etc) (100 Mil+ copies)
3.Zelda (50 Mil +)
4. Brain Age(20 Mil +)
5. Kirby * (20 Mil +)
6. Animal Crossing (20 Mil +)
7. Metroid (10 Mil+)

Add in the fact Pokemon should be number 2, Donkey Kong number 4 if I didn't count him with Mario, and Nintedogs really should be 6 if I thought of practical outside merchandising options. I mean its hard to pin what will be successful with Nintendo as their truly is no trend in popularity. If they have a fan base already screaming they want a game and would throw money at it, may be best just to go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike S
Its weird quirky and really funny. Its a game that doesn't take itself serious and can tell its kinda a joke and extremely friendly for all players young and old. A cult favorite. Its hard to create new IPs that are hits are the market is so saturated that it would be safe to just do Mother. I mean look at Nintendo's best selling franchises WW:

1.Mario (100 million + copies)
2. Wii (Wii Sports, Fit etc) (100 Mil+ copies)
3.Zelda (50 Mil +)
4. Brain Age(20 Mil +)
5. Kirby * (20 Mil +)
6. Animal Crossing (20 Mil +)
7. Metroid (10 Mil+)

Add in the fact Pokemon should be number 2, Donkey Kong number 4 if I didn't count him with Mario, and Nintedogs really should be 6 if I thought of practical outside merchandising options. I mean its hard to pin what will be successful with Nintendo as their truly is no trend in popularity. If they have a fan base already screaming they want a game and would throw money at it, may be best just to go for it.
Nintendo did put EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings on Wii U but I think the most anyone could hope for is an official localization of Mother 3. I haven't played the games myself.
In actual physical copies sold, more copies were sold in Japan than US. The only market it did well in the US was the rerelease on the virtual console on WII U.
Weren't you talking about Nintendo as a whole company?
Their largest market is the US, where Metroid is more popular. Imo it would only be fitting to give full control of the series to US based Retro Studios.