Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 231 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What I originally heard from Teebin last spring was that Orlando was to get Mario & Donkey Kong. When Universal Creative in Orlando found out in March that Japan was going to get three attractions (Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshii), that's when UC Orlando started lobbying to replace ET with Yoshii, so they could have three attractions also. Non attractions or small flat rides could occupy some of the space differently in Orlando & Japan. ........Of course, plans do change & get updated.

So what's Japan getting as extra? If I were a betting man, I'd say Pokémon which we would then get more fleshed out in Site B.

I'm guessing they are getting more space for stage shows with Mario characters, store space, and flat rides. Japan has a much larger emphasis on shows/parades/interactive events than the US and that's most likely what the extra space will be used for.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Mike S
Probably not a popular opinion and I hope I'm wrong but looking at most gaming websites who has the slightest distance from Nintendo, the Switch is doomed to go the WiiU road. Will this diminish the IP and make Universal invest less in the theme park land or is the brand strong enough?

Probably not a popular opinion and I hope I'm wrong but looking at most gaming websites who has the slightest distance from Nintendo, the Switch is doomed to go the WiiU road. Will this diminish the IP and make Universal invest less in the theme park land or is the brand strong enough?
Nintendo is always "doomed."

Switch will not be the Wii U. It's looking more like Wii U + 3DS + PSVita in terms of games coming to it. It'll sell far higher than the Wii U worldwide just in Japan (3DS sold like 20 million over there). Then add in the rest of the world. Let's not forget that they took a loss on each Wii U sold unlike the Switch which they have said will be profitable from day 1. It won't beat the PS4 but it'll do well for itself.

Reactions: Brer Oswald

They aren't investing in the game system....they are investing in Nintendo owned Characters. Lot of people hate the WII U and still love Mario. Lot of people have only played DK on N64 and no other system and still will go to Nintendo World even if the Switch flops. The hardware system has nothing to do with this deal just the characters.

Reactions: Andysol and Mike S
Universal is 150% gung ho into Nintendo. This is their answer to Star Wars land & will go neck to neck in battle with it in Orlando since they'll be opening pretty close to one another. 2020/2021 is going to be a damn big year for Orlando tourist visitations. Japan's park is on a roll and they're actually approaching Disney type numbers. This will put that park into a very competitive position against the Disney juggernaut.

What I originally heard from Teebin last spring was that Orlando was to get Mario & Donkey Kong. When Universal Creative in Orlando found out in March that Japan was going to get three attractions (Mario, Donkey Kong, Yoshii), that's when UC Orlando started lobbying to replace ET with Yoshii, so they could have three attractions also. Non attractions or small flat rides could occupy some of the space differently in Orlando & Japan. ........Of course, plans do change & get updated.

If Japan gets all three, so could Orlando. And if space is an issue- it could always be a Pirates of the Caribbean moment where orlandos yoshi isn't as big- maybe 3 minutes instead of 5. I'd be fine getting an inferior version vs nothing. Love ET but I'm ok with or gone if the new tech is cool. If it's just Peter Pan/ET but with yoshi, I don't get it. Merchandise for Yoshi will be good for Little ones, but I'd think ET would be too (especially baby ETs)

Things might have changed especially after Spielberg got comfy with Disney.
I'd venture to say at this point he doesn't care at all. All universal has to do is show him he'll make "$x million" more if they bring in Nintendo and he's happy. Doesn't he get his cut off the gross? He clears 20+ million a year off the park. He's fine with whatever brings in the dough.

Universal is 150% gung ho into Nintendo. This is their answer to Star Wars land & will go neck to neck in battle with it in Orlando since they'll be opening pretty close to one another. 2020/2021 is going to be a damn big year for Orlando tourist visitations. Japan's park is on a roll and they're actually approaching Disney type numbers. This will put that park into a very competitive position against the Disney juggernaut.
I was under the impression that universal Japan is better attended than either Disney Japan park now.