Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Official MLB Discussion Thread: Season Starts July 23rd

So I just noticed... the Marlins and Phillies both have their games cancelled through Sunday and then the next scheduled game is Tuesday... Phillies @ Marlins. :lol:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that series is getting postponed.

So I just noticed... the Marlins and Phillies both have their games cancelled through Sunday and then the next scheduled game is Tuesday... Phillies @ Marlins. :lol:

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that series is getting postponed.
There’s been talk the Yankees are playing the Phillies on Monday and Tuesday. Don’t know if that’s real yet.

Today's Brewers/Cardinals game is now postponed because an unknown number of Cardinals players tested positive for COVID-19, according to MLB insider Ken Rosenthal. The Cardinals were in Minnesota on Wednesday, so expect the Twins to be affected, too. What a mess....

so some players are obviously not taking this virus very seriously and putting themselves in situations they ought not be in… And all the while, not wearing a mask. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

Today's Brewers/Cardinals game is now postponed because an unknown number of Cardinals players tested positive for COVID-19, according to MLB insider Ken Rosenthal. The Cardinals were in Minnesota on Wednesday, so expect the Twins to be affected, too. What a mess....
This is a mess
And to think NCAAF and the NFL thinks they can actually have a season when their rosters and coaching staffs are bigger...

It’s bubble or nothing if you want a season these days.

I have a feeling they won’t completely give up on the season yet. This will be more like “We’re taking a pause to rethink our procedures and allow teams time to recover”.

They could also set up bubbles in Arizona and Florida still if the Players are serious about playing this season.

I have a feeling they won’t completely give up on the season yet. This will be more like “We’re taking a pause to rethink our procedures and allow teams time to recover”.

They could also set up bubbles in Arizona and Florida still if the Players are serious about playing this season.
I actually know someone who has some insight into the league through official channels, and he said they considered the bubbles, but realized it was unsustainable with how many daily games needed to be played.

If they do the bubble after a reset, I see it being more of a tourney than a season at that point.

EDIT: Personally, I think the bubbles were a no go the second they realized only four to six Primetime games could be on a night. At the end of the day, with no one in the stands, it’s about ratings/ad revenue.

I actually know someone who has some insight into the league through official channels, and he said they considered the bubbles, but realized it was unsustainable with how many daily games needed to be played.

If they do the bubble after a reset, I see it being more of a tourney than a season at that point.

EDIT: Personally, I think the bubbles were a no go the second they realized only four to six Primetime games could be on a night. At the end of the day, with no one in the stands, it’s about ratings/ad revenue.
Players health should be at the forefront though, and the only way to ensure that is with a bubble.

If the need to do a tourney, than whatever. Salvage what you can from this season, but make sure everyone is safe.

Players health should be at the forefront though, and the only way to ensure that is with a bubble.

If the need to do a tourney, than whatever. Salvage what you can from this season, but make sure everyone is safe.
Oh I totally agree with you...I’m just saying it’s pretty obvious the league did this for greedy reasons.

They could fit 5 games a day at a stadium if they wanted to. Have 3 host cities that have two stadiums (NY - East, Chicago - Central, LA - West) and start at 8am, finish at 12am each day. Sure few people would be watching most of the games and games that are rained out would be tough to accommodate, but it’s the closest thing to safe you can get.

Oh I totally agree with you...I’m just saying it’s pretty obvious the league did this for greedy reasons.

They could fit 5 games a day at a stadium if they wanted to. Have 3 host cities that have two stadiums (NY - East, Chicago - Central, LA - West) and start at 8am, finish at 12am each day. Sure few people would be watching most of the games and games that are rained out would be tough to accommodate, but it’s the closest thing to safe you can get.
You could also have Arizona and Florida Spring Training sites be used. When not playing, the players would have to stay at a hotel and they would only leave via bus to go to the park for a game and there could be testing in between. It's not exactly a bubble, but it's a form of one. A "hybrid bubble" if you will.