Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 277 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the way i would explain the toxic atmosphere would be to claim that big arse plant at the front of the land kills those toxins allowing humans to coexist in the land

i do think the interactivity to plants will be a pretty big deal within the land, we will see how they execute it

@AliciaStella thats a cool video

@AliciaStella thats a cool video
A few months ago I could see lighting to create ground effects hanging from the trees, but now they've done a good job of hiding them in the foliage.

This photo shows some lights pointing directly to the ground (on right and top of image)

01258.MTS_.Still001-690x460.jpg

These might not be as interactive as that video I posted, but I'm guessing they'll have that in the land as well.

A few months ago I could see lighting to create ground effects hanging from the trees, but now they've done a good job of hiding them in the foliage.

I would hope/think that the interactive walkways would be based on things embedded in the walkway itself rather than just projections. Those things are pretty generic and I have seen them at malls and other places where they are post-construction install. If they really want to WOW us, I think the walkway itself needs to have some kind of interactivity.

Reactions: Joel
I would hope/think that the interactive walkways would be based on things embedded in the walkway itself rather than just projections. Those things are pretty generic and I have seen them at malls and other places where they are post-construction install. If they really want to WOW us, I think the walkway itself needs to have some kind of interactivity.
Yea, I could see something like the concrete that lights up at Epcot being employed too. it might be a mix of everything. Throw it all at the wall and see what sticks.

Reactions: Porkchop
Here's my concern, and not having kids I may be talking out of my ass: will interactive plants (that simply change color) really be enough? For children, specifically. It's being compared to Potter's wand effects but using a wand, that you buy at Ollivander's, to make stuff levitate is a special type of wish fulfillment. As technologically impressive as the plants will be, and as pretty as they'll be (for the 25% of business hours that occurs after sundown), I can't imagine most casuals will be so enamored with color-changing plants as Disney itself will be. And luminous/interactive walkways isn't exactly game changing. The effects are common from other parks to shopping malls.

Reactions: Porkchop
Here's my concern, and not having kids I may be talking out of my ass: will interactive plants (that simply change color) really be enough? For children, specifically. It's being compared to Potter's wand effects but using a wand, that you buy at Ollivander's, to make stuff levitate is a special type of wish fulfillment. As technologically impressive as the plants will be, and as pretty as they'll be (for the 25% of business hours that occurs after sundown), I can't imagine most casuals will be so enamored with color-changing plants as Disney itself will be. And luminous/interactive walkways isn't exactly game changing. The effects are common from other parks to shopping malls.
My hope is that there's so much lighting effects that it's actually overwhelming at night. Like sensory overload. The fact that they're testing projection mapping on the floating mountains is a good sign, because even that will be glowing at night, rather than just lit by standard lights.

I'm sure most folks that "visit Pandora" will just want to know "what rides does it have"? They could care less if they supposedly entered a new planet after a 15 minute walk from the parking lot.

I say they should advertise it without focusing on anything distinctly Avatar. Don't advertise you get to FINALLY RIDE A BANSHEE because the amount of people who finally want to do that could probably fill the ride to capacity for one hour. Really sell the thrill of flying and alien life forms.

It's pretty vague, lots of hand waving about interactive plants when it comes explaining what to do, what's special, etc.

I'm sure most folks that "visit Pandora" will just want to know "what rides does it have"? They could care less if they supposedly entered a new planet after a 15 minute walk from the parking lot.

But it is not a planet, it is a moon.

Thinking back to the age of my daughter when we would visit WDW, I wonder how well things go with riding one on a banshee, would mommy always be real close to Johnny?

"Naturalist? Is is true they have sex with their tails ... ?"

But seriously, I feel bad for the CMs, every smartass lifestyler is going to be recycling Bill & Ted's jokes for years.
I don't know that it will just be lifestylers. I've noticed that whether i'm with my theme park friends or non-theme park friends, when Avatar comes up in conversation (very rare admittedly), it's always with someone calling it "the movie where they have sex with their tails" or something to that effect.

I would be shocked if Disney doesn't prep CMs with answers for that question.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I don't know that it will just be lifestylers. I've noticed that whether i'm with my theme park friends or non-theme park friends, when Avatar comes up in conversation (very rare admittedly), it's always with someone calling it "the movie where they have sex with their tails" or something to that effect.

I would be shocked if Disney doesn't prep CMs with answers for that question.
"Like a good, invasive, colonizing force, we have educated the Na'vi on the proper, unenjoyable method of procreation instead of the savage, unnatural method they used when first discovered."

They changed the chemical makeup of Pandora's atmosphere. They might as well change the Na'vi's biology too.

I always wondered... If they use their tails to create a psychic link, does that mean they feel what the other is feeling for sex too? I feel what I am feeling and what you are feeling, and you're feeling those things too. So now I'm feeling you feeling me feeling you feeling me feeling myself and you too. Is that a feedback loop? Won't their heads explode.

I wonder weird things sometimes.

This is going to be soooooo interesting, once it opens.:) .....On Pandora....Will it be accepted as a serious look at the renderings of the Pandora society? Or will it end up being the butt of jokes, deprecating remarks and become camp comedy? Stay tuned. Same Bat time. Same Bat channel.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.