Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 278 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure this has been discussed plenty of times but any clue of possible softs? I'm visiting may 10-14. Should I have my fingers crossed?

We probably won't know till much closer to opening date. After the Diagon and Kong fiasco I don't want to guess when softs will start for anything.

Reactions: Mad Dog
We probably won't know till much closer to opening date. After the Diagon and Kong fiasco I don't want to guess when softs will start for anything.

Well they've blocked out CMs starting the 20th so from there forward is a safe bet.

If it's not open or planned to be there's no reason to completely block out CMs.

Well there has to be some disbelief. It's a cop out (like "Muggles can now tour Hogwarts!") but at least they addressed it. But the whole "We're trying to conserve the planet after terraforming it" is a bit much. Either way, it realistically means nothing. Just us Theme Park nerds discussing the inconsequential.

James Cameron is not above breaking the rules of his own movies for theme park attractions. Just look at T2:3D to see at least 2 of the rules set in the Terminator universe completely disregarded. Time travel in that universe only happens with organic materials. Both the T-1000 and John Connor travel to the future fully clothed and traveling with a shotgun and a motorcycle. There is no need to have any differences between the movie Avatar and the theme park land Pandora explained based on Cameron's own track record.

What I'm really interested in is seeing the vegetation and plants used. I'm sure Disney is going to bring in some really exotic, alien looking plants.
Haha, I thought you said "toxic," not exotic, so I immediately thought of this:

Dr. Ellie Sattler: Well, the question is, how can you know anything about an extinct ecosystem? And therefore, how could you ever assume that you can control it? I mean, you have plants in this building that are poisonous, you picked them because they look good, but these are aggressive living things that have no idea what century they're in, and they'll defend themselves, violently if necessary.

Reactions: Nico
James Cameron is not above breaking the rules of his own movies for theme park attractions. Just look at T2:3D to see at least 2 of the rules set in the Terminator universe completely disregarded. Time travel in that universe only happens with organic materials. Both the T-1000 and John Connor travel to the future fully clothed and traveling with a shotgun and a motorcycle. There is no need to have any differences between the movie Avatar and the theme park land Pandora explained based on Cameron's own track record.

I can't believe I've never considered that before about T2:3D! Just shows that as long as the journey is fun and well done, you can drag the audience along in any way that's required.

Reactions: Shrunkenned
Obviously these ads are meant to form a series where each relies on a knowledge of the others, but even so these are just not enough individually to carry the intended idea. To someone who only catches a glimpse of that 15 seconds, "Now there is a place where you can discover a mystical river" simply isn't enough to plant the seed of curiosity as its intended to. If I didn't know what it was, I certainly wouldn't be off to google it.

better commercial

It's better in that we catch a glimpse of a Na'vi. But for someone who's indifferent to Avatar as a franchise they aren't doing much to garner excitement.

First, we had banshees that the general population only has a passing (if that) familiarity. Now, we have a mystical river that could really be anywhere or anything. I know the tone of Pandora isn't bombastic, but it's like Disney is trying to advertise everything except the most recognizable parts of the movie.

It's better in that we catch a glimpse of a Na'vi. But for someone who's indifferent to Avatar as a franchise they aren't doing much to garner excitement.

First, we had banshees that the general population only has a passing (if that) familiarity. Now, we have a mystical river that could really be anywhere or anything. I know the tone of Pandora isn't bombastic, but it's like Disney is trying to advertise everything except the most recognizable parts of the movie.
We must remember that these are teasers, given a couple more months they'll be showing every inch of everything in an ad and ruin all the surprises, like showing the Elsa scene from Frozen Ever After in every commercial for Walt Disney World.

These are just glimpses. When this place is actually opening they'll give away the farm. They always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.