Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion | Page 281 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: The World of Avatar Announcement, Construction, & Preview Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hearing hotel bookings are down year over year 10% this summer and Avatar hasn't been registering with potential guests. Outside of the Disneyana and DVC crowd hitting the first few months this isn't sounding good.
The occupancy comment doesn't jive with the numbers that ParentsOf4 has been posting on WDWM and the rumors from Spirit and Martin that they are actively looking to build more actual hotels (yes, new hotels, not DVC) because they feel their occupancy is high enough to warrant it. And they want these hotels built by 2021 for the 50th, preferably they'd like them for SWL though.

Reactions: JoeCamel
I actually wonder if people are gonna get mad at them speaking Nav'i like people get mad when people use Spanish in public.
I don't expect the Na'vi speak to be a huge part of the land. I expect it to be key phrases or there to be a specific (small) area where a CM is stationed to "teach" it if guests approach.

If you actually spend time around lands like Asia and Africa, they have little places where CMs teach you how to speak the language, teach you about the culture and they'll write your name in different languages, so this sort of thing isn't new within the park they are working with.

Here's Joe doing what he does. Says there will be more videos like this leading up to the land opening with people who worked on the land:

Here's Joe doing what he does. Says there will be more videos like this leading up to the land opening with people who worked on the land:

i expect 5 to 6 more of these from Joe and several maybe 15 more short snippets/teasers coming up in the next few weeks and months
no shortage of information from either resort because im getting inundated with Universal ads here in Tennessee as well

Reactions: Nick
That video really sounds like a desperate attempt to justify the project from people who don't have faith the justification will be obvious from the experience in itself. Literally saying "Hey look, they're the same" rings with an awkward unspoken "honestly, trust me..." on the end.

I just don't get what they're doing with this at the moment. I'm by no means an Avatar nay-sayer any more - I think it looks like it'll be a fun experience and I'm looking forward to hopefully going - but the marketing is just terrible.

The occupancy comment doesn't jive with the numbers that ParentsOf4 has been posting on WDWM and the rumors from Spirit and Martin that they are actively looking to build more actual hotels (yes, new hotels, not DVC) because they feel their occupancy is high enough to warrant it. And they want these hotels built by 2021 for the 50th, preferably they'd like them for SWL though.
How about they actually make all the rooms they have available first?

How about they actually make all the rooms they have available first?
Not an apologist for Disney whatsoever, but when you have 25,000 room, some of which are 45 years old, it's impossible to have all of them up at the same time. Rooms need to be updated over time. If you follow the general hospitality standard of updating every 7 years, it's impossible for every room to be up at the same time in WDW due to the years each hotel opened. Hotels need refurbishment and they need modernization in order to justify Disney's prices, especially with Universal giving them a run now.

Also, the number that ParentsOf4 gave INCLUDED the number of rooms that were "out of inventory" so that took away from the % and they were still in the high 80's.

That video really sounds like a desperate attempt to justify the project from people who don't have faith the justification will be obvious from the experience in itself. Literally saying "Hey look, they're the same" rings with an awkward unspoken "honestly, trust me..." on the end.

I just don't get what they're doing with this at the moment. I'm by no means an Avatar nay-sayer any more - I think it looks like it'll be a fun experience and I'm looking forward to hopefully going - but the marketing is just terrible.

Like a joke, if you have to explain it then it's probably not logical.

Something interesting:

Pandora - The World of Avatar
Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley - The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Even more interesting:

1964 New York WORLDS FAIR

raw

I think the building of more hotels is more about getting enough of the kinds of rooms people want. Right now they have thousands of glorified motel rooms, and people are looking for more suites. So many of the rooms they have are quite small compared to what's available off property now (often for less money). Look at the demand at Cabana Bay...

Reactions: Nick
Status
Not open for further replies.