Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Peacock (Streaming Service)

I watched the free episode. It didn't appeal to me. Even if it is a great show made for Gen Z, did they watch it? Aside from it's original release, I never saw anything anyone talking about it on social media and I feel like you're sort of missing the point. A Saved By The Bell can be a nice supplementary show. Netflix has about 20 Saved By The Bell-esque shows. But they are their supplementary shows, not their marquee shows. They need something big to pull people in and even if SBTB and Punky Brewster were great (only Punky Brewster seems to have connected with audiences based on Audience RT scores of 56% vs. 80%), you need the hook.

Do a F&F spin-off show or something. Literally ANYTHING. People will come back to a service or pay the premium price for one if they feel they are getting value out of that price. Many people never think twice about paying every month for Netflix because they know there will always be something new to watch. With Peacock, they need that something bad imo.

The first show they pushed out was Brave New World which was a HBO style show, critics hated, some people who watched loved it, show got cancelled because no one watched.

In comparison.
Saved by the Bell Revival Is Peacock's Most-Viewed Original Series

Also audience score on Rotten Tomatoes isn't a good way to tell popularity. especially for television shows because there is no verification for review unlike films. Just to point out.

Another thing to point out is everyone creates their own social bubble on social media. On your platforms, you may not see people show interests in certain shows but if you venture outside it, some people have that as all they talk about. Remember many people live in their own bubble in which certain things don't enter their realm.

Also, lets not forget the biggest issue was COVID screwing up production schedules. Netflix had a huge backlog of international productions to pull from; Disney and other studios didn't necessarily have that.

The first show they pushed out was Brave New World which was a HBO style show, critics hated, some people who watched loved it, show got cancelled because no one watched.

In comparison.
Saved by the Bell Revival Is Peacock's Most-Viewed Original Series

Also audience score on Rotten Tomatoes isn't a good way to tell popularity. especially for television shows because there is no verification for review unlike films. Just to point out.

Another thing to point out is everyone creates their own social bubble on social media. On your platforms, you may not see people show interests in certain shows but if you venture outside it, some people have that as all they talk about. Remember many people live in their own bubble in which certain things don't enter their realm.

Also, lets not forget the biggest issue was COVID screwing up production schedules. Netflix had a huge backlog of international productions to pull from; Disney and other studios didn't necessarily have that.
I agree we form our own social circles, but i'm not dense enough to not look outside of that circle either. Online my social circle may go towards one thing or another, but in actual real life, I have not only friends, but friends of someone like my mom who I run into or on the opposite end, friends of my sisters. My mom is Gen X, i'm a Millennial and my sister is Gen Z. Then there's my brother who's on the edge of the Millennial/Gen Z side so who he's got an interesting perspective. I like to just sort of pay attention to the conversations I have with different people that I don't routinely talk to and see what comes up or what they're interested in.

I don't doubt Saved By The Bell is their most watched show as it has the name recognition. I think the show that really has the chance to be a huge hit for Peacock is Bel-Air, though. The fan-based trailer that was made that the series is based on looks legitimately great. I will sign up for Peacock for at least a month on a paid subscription for a show like that. I understand COVID really disrupted the market. I'm really hoping Bel-Air is great, but again, i'd probably only be going premium for a month unless they can continue to show me something worth paying for consistently.

Peacock has potential because of NBC/Universal's library if they can get it all in-house for sure, though.

Last edited:
My mom is Gen Z, i'm a Millennial and my sister is Gen X.

712415ba4a89133adbe82493a2210f76.gif

I don't think word, or at least concern, is really spreading beyond the hardcores, as far as the content being scrubbed. The only cut I would have cared about so far was the Roddy Piper/Bad News Brown promo and match, and that was a popcorn fart. Most of the cuts are probably long overdue, frankly. Anyone saying "Boy, I wish I could see DX doing blackface!" probably has bigger issues to deal with, like crying over Splash Mountain.

I remember watching the Nation parody live thinking "damn, Vince got these boys to throw away their careers!" But I guess marrying the boss' daughter is job security. Still 40- and 50-something fans more likely to be upset with any kind of change than teens who probably think 95% of everything from that era is lame (as well they should, it's their parents' entertainment). Nostalgia is a hell of a drug--try putting flames on Optimus Prime and see what reaction you get.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug--try putting flames on Optimus Prime and see what reaction you get.
It reminds me of bands when they get older and are more just touring for their hits. Their fans never want to hear the new music and get angry when new songs take up a spot in the set-list of "classic" songs or "fan favorites".

Bon Jovi literally can't play a concert without doing "Livin' On A Prayer" anymore or there would be riots. Their fans get pissed when they don't play "Runaway" in favor of a new song. It's not a direct Apples to Apples comparison, but it's just what i'm reminded of. Same thing goes with other bands from that same era.

It reminds me of bands when they get older and are more just touring for their hits. They never want to hear the new music and get angry when new songs take up a spot in the set-list of "classic" songs or "fan favorites".

Bon Jovi literally can't play a concert without doing "Livin' On A Prayer" anymore or there would be riots. Their fans get pissed when they don't play "Runaway" in favor of a new song. It's not a direct Apples to Apples comparison, but it's just what i'm reminded of. Same thing goes with other bands from that same era.

"Here's one from our new album..."

<Half the crowd gets up to hit the bathroom or the snack bar>

I remember watching the Nation parody live thinking "damn, Vince got these boys to throw away their careers!" But I guess marrying the boss' daughter is job security. Still 40- and 50-something fans more likely to be upset with any kind of change than teens who probably think 95% of everything from that era is lame (as well they should, it's their parents' entertainment). Nostalgia is a hell of a drug--try putting flames on Optimus Prime and see what reaction you get.
I was still a racist conservative (although I would have loudly denied it) when I watched it live, and even I cringed. I think it's one of those things even fans of the era would rather not be reminded happened. The Attitude Era may have been the most successful time in the WWE's history, but between content and quality, about half of it needs to go straight into history's dustbin.

If they invested in Dreamworks and Illumination for this service I don’t see how it’s not successful. Add in potential Jurassic stuff for teens and adults, Monster stuff for horror season, I feel this has the most potential compared to any other service but it’s just not happening it seems. The catalog is too good for this company to waste a streaming service like this, and I don’t even hate it but I can see the clear flaws.

If they invested in Dreamworks and Illumination for this service I don’t see how it’s not successful. Add in potential Jurassic stuff for teens and adults, Monster stuff for horror season, I feel this has the most potential compared to any other service but it’s just not happening it seems. The catalog is too good for this company to waste a streaming service like this, and I don’t even hate it but I can see the clear flaws.

Dreamworks is locked in a deal with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon for shows. But I agree with the popularity of the Netflix animated shows with Boss Baby, Camp Cretaceous and Spirit always being in the top ten for a week after they released new episodes, I think that would be a huge boon for peacock.

Dreamworks is locked in a deal with Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon for shows. But I agree with the popularity of the Netflix animated shows with Boss Baby, Camp Cretaceous and Spirit always being in the top ten for a week after they released new episodes, I think that would be a huge boon for peacock.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding the news or this isn’t part of it, but I’d assume they’d try and get those deals back in house? Maybe not though.

That may not be an option (see Netflix/MCU)
There's always the choice, it would just cost them billions in buying out currently ongoing contracts with three different streaming services (Hulu, HBO Max and Netflix). It's easier to just wait until currently ongoing deals with streamers expire and gather content back piece by piece than to spend all of that money buying out contracts when Peacock is a money loser at the moment, like all other streamers.

There's always the choice, it would just cost them billions in buying out currently ongoing contracts with three different streaming services (Hulu, HBO Max and Netflix). It's easier to just wait until currently ongoing deals with streamers expire and gather content back piece by piece than to spend all of that money buying out contracts when Peacock is a money loser at the moment, like all other streamers.
I mean yes, you can do anything if the decimal is in the right place. :)

I would like to see Universal churning out some Jurassic World content and create the cartoon TV show version that failed to materialize in the 1990s.

they already did

Rutherford Falls was a lot of fun. It starts off iffy but definitely picks itself up by the end of episode four. I do think one of the biggest issues is in Ed Helms character but all the other characters especially Reagan and Bobbie Yang are a delight.

Last edited: