Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Revenge of the Mummy (USH)

It always amazes me that Orlando likes Hollywood's Mummy, and Hollywood likes Orlando's.

But I think that's because the strengths of one are the weaknesses of the other, and you always miss what you don't have.

It always amazes me that Orlando likes Hollywood's Mummy, and Hollywood likes Orlando's.

But I think that's because the strengths of one are the weaknesses of the other, and you always miss what you don't have.
It's the novelty factor, more than anything. Familiarity breeds boredom, and it changes your perception when you experience new things.

That said, as an L.A.-er, I do prefer the Orlando version lol. I love ours to death and wouldn't trade it, but Orlando's is longer and more dynamic and just plain better, IMO. I just wish there was room to add just one more beat. Like, picture the finale -- you spin around slowly, the light flashes, and then boom! Maybe you drop down like the end of IJA, or shoot off around a bend back to loading. Just something.

You can always tell when it's someone's first visit to the park, because they always groan or go "Is that it!?!?" as soon as the door slides up.

I know this is for Hollywood but I'm at usf now. Why would they run an empty train? It was jam packed and they just stopped everyone and ran an empty train, just curious.

I know this is for Hollywood but I'm at usf now. Why would they run an empty train? It was jam packed and they just stopped everyone and ran an empty train, just curious.
I was once on it here in Hollywood and we all had to wait in the second car after we boarded because the front one had rolled into the station with vomit all over it. Someone puked all in the front row, and the team had to do their best to clean it all up. Then they ran the train empty to air it out. I've seen the same thing happen at Magic Mountain (though I'd imagine with Coronavirus fears right now, they wouldn't really want to risk it)

It could also be something like a sensor issue, which would probably be the issue in your case since you said they stopped everyone and ran it then and there. They'll run an empty train if something is funky to make sure everything is okay (and for guest safety, obviously.) Or it could be something else entirely!

I was once on it here in Hollywood and we all had to wait in the second car after we boarded because the front one had rolled into the station with vomit all over it. Someone puked all in the front row, and the team had to do their best to clean it all up. Then they ran the train empty to air it out. I've seen the same thing happen at Magic Mountain (though I'd imagine with Coronavirus fears right now, they wouldn't really want to risk it)

It could also be something like a sensor issue, which would probably be the issue in your case since you said they stopped everyone and ran it then and there. They'll run an empty train if something is funky to make sure everything is okay (and for guest safety, obviously.) Or it could be something else entirely!
I also thought it was puke related lol. But either one is possible.

I’d agree, and I think of Hollywood’s as scarier, and Orlando’s as more thrilling.

Hollywood’s dark ride section is superior, with the arms reaching out of the ceiling, the Imhotep on the ledge, and the launch coinciding with Imhotep’s roar and the soldiers dropping from the ceiling, but once you hit the coaster sections, Orlando takes the crown.

Shrek is terrible, simpsons is intolerable without Dramamine and minions, while adorable, is also played out IMHO. Something a bit timeless. I miss battlestar galactica lol.

Could not agree more. Those three, but particularly Simpsons, are horrendous. We deserve better in Hollywood.

If this ride gets replaced in the next decade what would your dream ride be? I found out about Space Fantasy at USJ and that would be so cool here.

If this ride gets replaced in the next decade what would your dream ride be? I found out about Space Fantasy at USJ and that would be so cool here.

My prediction is that it will most likely be gone in the next five years. It would make sense for them to put a Jurassic World themed attraction there instead, since it could extend the "land" and make it more immersive.

Honestly--I'd go with the original SNW plans on flattening the building and the adjacent soundstages next to it--but themed as a Sci-Fi City style land that can update Transformers.

Isn’t the JE ride in Beijing using the Spider-Man/Transformers technology? I’d assume another JW attraction would be a clone of that, which we already have.

*Blows the dust off of this thread*

I have an idea for the Mummy replacement that I think would satisfy both camps of wanting a new coaster and a dark ride in that plot:

Build the queue and station for a standalone Jurassic World-themed coaster where the indoor and outdoor queue for the Mummy is at. Maybe there can be a little leftover space to squeeze the Raptor Encounter to a relocated space. Have the coaster launch out of that area and go over the hills, around the escalators, and hug the terrain while having "scream shields" surrounding track in parts that would push the noise away from the studio. Or simply have the entire coaster indoors like RnRC.

As for the remainder of the space? Well, let it be a repeat of the Stage 28 scenario: Tear down the structure (Or in this case the Mummy ride), and save the space for a new dark ride to come up in that space. Now you have two rides in that spot where space is a premium. You have a thrill coaster and another high-end dark ride in the same location. In the meantime they can just use that big empty space for an HHN house or two and/or overflow for the Jurassic World coaster.

This is the scenario that I hope comes to fruition for Mummy's replacement.

Do people really think this will get replaced? It’s one of the most popular rides in the park, and even if they can keep the ride infrastructure, what IP can they replace it with? They already have a F&F attraction so zilch on that. Jason Bourne wouldn’t really work. All the Illumination IP is relegated to the upper lot. An Incredible Hulk ride? Disney won’t let that happen, even though Universal owns the rights to the movie. I don’t think The Mummy is going away anytime soon. The films (the first 2, at least) are still very nostalgic for many.

Do people really think this will get replaced? It’s one of the most popular rides in the park, and even if they can keep the ride infrastructure, what IP can they replace it with? They already have a F&F attraction so zilch on that. Jason Bourne wouldn’t really work. All the Illumination IP is relegated to the upper lot. An Incredible Hulk ride? Disney won’t let that happen, even though Universal owns the rights to the movie. I don’t think The Mummy is going away anytime soon. The films (the first 2, at least) are still very nostalgic for many.

Have to chime in here. Most of what you're saying is correct, but there's a HUGE building in that space that needs to be removed. That land is very valuable and can be repurposed for other rides, shows, and attractions. If you remove ROTM and the Chiller Plant just to the side of it (which is only there for ROTM, these days) you can expand that land and create a whole new area. Every attraction has a life cycle and is built for a certain about of time. Remove it and you can pretty much build a whole other Nintendo land.

Have to chime in here. Most of what you're saying is correct, but there's a HUGE building in that space that needs to be removed. That land is very valuable and can be repurposed for other rides, shows, and attractions. If you remove ROTM and the Chiller Plant just to the side of it (which is only there for ROTM, these days) you can expand that land and create a whole new area. Every attraction has a life cycle and is built for a certain about of time. Remove it and you can pretty much build a whole other Nintendo land.
And how big is that area, specifically in square feet? The idea you can fit a themed area there sounds exciting, as you’ve implied, but even with the hypothetical size and the life cycle of attractions, what kind of IP could possibly replace The Mummy? Could it expand to either Jurassic or Transformers?

And how big is that area, specifically in square feet? The idea you can fit a themed area there sounds exciting, as you’ve implied, but even with the hypothetical size and the life cycle of attractions, what kind of IP could possibly replace The Mummy? Could it expand to either Jurassic or Transformers?

58,896 square feet. - the physical building, nothing exterior... inside the 4 walls.

58,896 square feet. - the physical building, nothing exterior... inside the 4 walls.
Ok, so it’s nearly as big as Forbidden Journey. Could either be a new themed area or one giant attraction in the vein of Forbidden Journey. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

If they make it a dark ride they have more then enough room for something even cooler.

I like the Mummy but once DK comes then I'm good with them changing it out.

Sorry for the quick answer. Had to run out for a bit. But yea, there's plenty of room and it's been talked about removing soundstage 33-37, 41-44 as well as go into the hillside under the Starway as well. So there would be tons more room to build a whole new land.