Shrek 4D - Hollywood | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Shrek 4D - Hollywood

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Probably because up until recently, Shrek was one of the only family friendly attractions. And while the attraction is mediocre, the characters and franchise is still very popular to this day. And I personally enjoy the preshow very much. The actual show needs a decent update though :/

I believe the lengthy downtime will build the permanent queue and remove the back wall to its original design.  If this does not happen, then I have no clue why this needs to be done.  I went on it yesterday for my first "Wall of Fun" experience and I must say that the preshow needs major help.  The seats in the theater are weak and I enjoyed the show better in a stationary seat.  I only wish there were more effects inside the theater.  We all know this was a product of the mid 2000's era.

Who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised if the show is simply undergoing routine maintenance. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

A lot can be done with this space, and the proof is what Disney has done recently with its 3D shows that temporarily close for special previews of their new movies. Look at what they did with Guardians of the Galaxy and Maleficent for example. Took advantage of in theatre effects, upgraded the 3D systems, took advantage of any installed 4D effects, etc. And turn around time was FAST. Universal could do the same. Or better yet, take the time to give the attraction minor updates. I don't think there are any excuses in this day and age when this attraction isn't that much more advanced than standard 3D theatres now a days.

It needs to be transformed into a fancy Flex space Broadway-themed Theatre that can be used for Universal movie theatres, corporate/private events, stage shows, relocated shows, seasonal shows, and an updated version of Shrek during a slow season.

I hope this 2 week down time will at least START to address the issue. Updating the show a bit would probably cost less than the new queue/facade...

Construction wall movement could take place overnight, though. No reason why it'd take them over a week to do that. Aside from minor reworking of the queue, I'm just expecting routine management.

Reactions: Jon Fu
^ The only thing I find odd is its timing. Why not do it in October? Crowds are light during the day and Halloween Horror Nights doesn't use the venue at night.

Reactions: William
Timing is VERY weird, especially with it being a family attraction and during a busy period.

I honestly think this will be more than just a random tune up and refurb. No saying a full update, but I can bet ya we'll see some significant updates to the queue/exterior during this refurbishment, and maybe some stuff inside as well.

^ Interior refinements are a given. The building's exterior and queue is what I'm curious about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well considering that's been a rumor in the pipeline (or rather a planned project, as some team members have mentioned) to update the exterior and queue, I'd hope they do that NOW. Just get it over with while the park is in full construction mode. Especially if it's going down for an extended time.

After seeing the live show survey in Orlando, I think a Wicked musical show or something would make a descent replacement for Shrek in the future. It would especially be great as it would fit in with the Hogwarts theming right next to it.

If they adjusted the interior a bit, I'd love to see that. I've been saying for 5 months now that I'd love for Shrek to become a flex space Broadway/New Yorl themed theatre that could host musicals/shows, 3D attractions, seasonal shows (HHN, etc), and private or corporate events. It'd be so nice and would make fantastic use of the space. But we'll be keeping Shrek for a while......

Reactions: ItsAtrap
^ The only thing I find odd is its timing. Why not do it in October? Crowds are light during the day and Halloween Horror Nights doesn't use the venue at night.
I feel that they can close Shrek in December because its a very slow season and they only have to get through 2 weekends of the show not running and Grinchmas weekends to fill in the lack of entertainment.  Shrek will reopen with the major crowds.

I still think this is queue development and the final queue we receive will not be very spectacular.

I feel that they can close Shrek in December because its a very slow season and they only have to get through 2 weekends of the show not running and Grinchmas weekends to fill in the lack of entertainment.  Shrek will reopen with the major crowds.

I still think this is queue development and the final queue we receive will not be very spectacular.
Yeah, I'm not expecting too much more than some "permeant" switchbacks and maybe a couple tic nacs here or there. 

My expectations are high actually. If they're planning on keeping it around for a while, and if the rest of the recent park projects are any hint, I hope that it'll be high quality, especially being next to Wizarding World...

I'm expecting something similar to what was there before. Some switchbacks with nice planters and some shrubbery that suggests Duloc.